PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4: Get old Airport card or USB dongle to join a 802.11g network?

fireworks501
Oct 6, 2009, 10:09 PM
Hi guys,

Running an 802.11g network and got an old iMac G4 800 w/o wireless that I'd like to get online for music streaming.

Do you suggest I get a USB wifi adapter or an old Airport card for it?
If so, which ones are cheap + reliable?

Have read some bad reviews re: connection strength with USB dongles, but since the Airport card would only be 802.11b...

Thoughts and recommendations? Not sure which to buy.

Thanks.

ingenious
Oct 6, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hi guys,

Running an 802.11g network and got an old iMac G4 800 w/o wireless that I'd like to get online for music streaming.

Do you suggest I get a USB wifi adapter or an old Airport card for it?
If so, which ones are cheap + reliable?

Have read some bad reviews re: connection strength with USB dongles, but since the Airport card would only be 802.11b...

Thoughts and recommendations? Not sure which to buy.

Thanks.

Not sure about a USB dongle, but I do know that original Airport cards have historically been very rare, and many times very expensive. I picked one up a few years ago to stick in an iBook G3 and paid over US$100 for it. Of course, that was when there were still machines that could run the latest version of OS X and needed an original card.

Also, if you use an 802.11b device on a 802.11g network, it will slow down throughput on the entire network.