Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Hi, a friend of mine just broke two of the eight contacts in her 12" iBook's Ethernet port, and looked up the repair fee on the Apple site: ~$500.

So, I'm trying to find an Apple-compatible USB-to-Ethernet adapter so she doesn't need to pay the $500, and still have an Ethernet connection.

I'm a PC guy, so I really don't know which peripherals are compatible with Macs.

Please help!

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
http://www.powerbookresq.com/

I had a good deal with them, and would recommend their service to anyone. They fixed my Powerbook for $159 when apple wanted $350 just for an estimate. I would (if the computer could be parted with for 3 or 4 days) buy the $49 box and get it checked out. then again, the ethernet port is on the logicboard, so that would be expensive.

another question, exactly what 2 cables are broken? as far as im aware, a 10Mbps connection without the crossover mode only use 4 cables of the 8.

another thing to add: have you considered airport? it may be a cheaper and more convenient alternative.

iMook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Frankly, I don't know which contacts are broken, since my friend hasn't told me exactly, but she HAS tried to connect her LAN, to no avail.

As to Airport, I don't know how convenient that is to set up, and she's currently at college living on campus, and in no way a computer expert (and I know little about Mac setup), so I would hesitate to suggest Airport, esp. with the security concerns that go along with being on campus.

Thanks a lot for the PowerbookResQ link!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.