PDA

View Full Version : New G5.. fan tries to start but clicks

2A Batterie
Jul 15, 2004, 03:50 PM
I just got my refurb G5 in the mail today and as soon as I turned it on, the clicking began. I tried several restarts but the same thing happened. I reset the vram and everything else, and ran the hardware test (as Apple support instructed me to do) and it still keeps happening. I did not open the case, but if I look through the front grill, I can see a fan in the lower left hand coner attemempting to start. It keeps trying to but it clicks and then stops and repeats. Apple support suggested I take it to an Apple store for help, but I do not want to drive a half hour each way if the problem can be fixed easy. Any suggestions? Is this a quick fix, or should I not bother fooling with my G5 and take it to the Apple Store instead?

krimson
Jul 15, 2004, 04:04 PM
i really would suggest that you open it, take the baffle off and see why the fanisn't spinning like it should.. if there's something blocking it, move it if you can and see if that solves the problem.
If there isn't anything preventing the fan from spinning, then take it in, the G5 is worth the 30 minute drive.