Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steezy1337

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Carlisle, UK
i'm due to be getting an 8gb iphone from a friend soon, and seeing as how my full library is too large (72gb) would it be possible to make a smart playlist in itunes 9 that would just have my most played albums, and so it would max out at maybe4/5gb? i'm not the greatest when it comes to smart playlists so hopefully you guys can help me out

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You could start with something like this:
Picture 1.jpg
AFAIK, there's no way to max out a playlist at a certain size. You'd just have to select as many songs in the list that would fit.

Kate.

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
US
Limiting a playlist's size is easy. Just check the "Limit to" label underneath your playlist's conditions and you can limit by items, minutes, hours, GB, and MB. You can further specify how iTunes decides what to include using the drop down menu on the same line whether it's randomly or by most played, alphabetical, etc..

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-08 at 10.57.05 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-08 at 10.57.05 AM.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 89

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Limiting a playlist's size is easy. Just check the "Limit to" label underneath your playlist's conditions and you can limit by items, minutes, hours, GB, and MB. You can further specify how iTunes decides what to include using the drop down menu on the same line whether it's randomly or by most played, alphabetical, etc..
Thanks for this tip! As much as I've used Smart Playlists, I've never thought to look at that drop-down! (Of course, I've never had a need to limit my playlists) I guess the user isn't as smart as the playlist! :)

So, to answer the OP, your playlist might be something like this:
Picture 2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.