Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
i am currently considering on purchasing an ipod touch.however i one question about it that im hoping someone can answer for me.i know the only way you can get internet on it is to be connected through wireless.now my question is,is it all possible i can set up some sort of plan through at&t to have constant internet access with it? or would i have to go the hack route and do it that way?? any info would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
no there is no way to have internet via ATT. there is no cell phone chip inside just the wi-fi receiver

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
I am just playing with you but are saying that you want 1 wifi router, 1 internet connection and 1 loooong electric and ethernet cable and so you can travel with it? You were a bit wage. :D

tenand2indy

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
You could get a mi-fi unit like Sprint and Verizon are selling and then carry that around with you all the time so you constantly have a wi-fi hotspot to connect to. But that's about all I can think of to work.

If you want 24 hour connectivity, an iphone is your better option.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I once tried to share my cellphone's data connection with my iPod but was unable to find any software to do that (my phone has wifi, so I tried to find an app that would turn it into an access point). If anyone knows of any Java apps that can do this, it would make an "iPhone Touch" a possibility.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
If iPhone is not your option, then get Mi-Fi from Sprint or Verizon. You will have 24-hour internet connection and up to 5 devices can be connected at the same time as well.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You can also use a MiFi on AT&T if you wish (there's an HSPA version and I assume that it's compatible; it'll work with XT over here and I believe that AT&T's network is very similar).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.