Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Everyone seems to think a camera is destined to the iPod Touch sooner or later. I certainly do hope so. But, I am also afraid that Steve Jobs is someone who is very much capable of not listen to the majority of customers who want the camera and release yet another new iPod Touch without the camera.

So, if - God forbid - Steve Jobs again does not install camera in the Touch next year, would you still upgrade?

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
They have to add something after this year's lackluster premier. Cameras are relatively cheap and they've already made space in the internals of the touch for a camera sized object. It seems like one of the easier things to add and market the hell out of.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
The issue isn't that there is no camera, it's that there's no... nothing. The late 2009 iPod touch isn't compelling to existing users, 1st or 2nd generation. If they do the same next year, I wouldn't upgrade and I'd begin looking into non-Apple options.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
The lack of a camera isn't a deal breaker for me- I need the space. BUT, there are a few things I really wish I had one for.

And for the record, I know everyone says it's not that great, and I should just use my phone. Well, the kids shot some video on the nanos at SAMs club the other day, and on playback i could fell those where wayyyy better than what my phone does. Way better.

But I agree, they need more umph. And I need the space or I'd be planning on not getting the bigger one when I get my money.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
I'd move to an iPhone 3GS, and just use it as an iPod touch. No data plan or anything. Just my home Wi-Fi.

…why buy an iPhone to use as an iPod instead of just…buying an iPod?

The third generation includes faster hardware (the same microprocessors, graphics engine and RAM as the iPhone 3GS), Voice Control and bundled earphones with a remote and microphone. The new generation and the concurrently available second generation 8 GB model are available at a new lower pricing structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch

****! I knew about the internals, but not the remote and microphone in the earphones, iPhone-style. Oh well, wouldn’t make a difference to me as I like to use headphones.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
If Steve Jobs doesn't specify a camera for the ipod touch then I guess the touch will not have a camera.

That's how I see it :D

buxtone17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
I'd move to an iPhone 3GS, and just use it as an iPod touch. No data plan or anything. Just my home Wi-Fi.

1. Is it possible to activate an iPhone with no data plan?

2. If it is, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having an iPhone?

3. Why would you pay a monthly bill just to have a crappy still/video camera?

iSpaghettiCat

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Miami, FL
…why buy an iPhone to use as an iPod instead of just…buying an iPod?

Because if the touch doesn't get the camera, I'd just the get the 3GS, which has a better speaker IMO, a built-in mic, and of course a video/still camera.

1. Is it possible to activate an iPhone with no data plan?

2. If it is, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having an iPhone?

3. Why would you pay a monthly bill just to have a crappy still/video camera?

1. Yes, it's possible. Just put in a SIM, activate it, then take the SIM out, and just use it with Wi-Fi.

2. I barely even use my own cell phone so it's perfect for me.

3. Like I said in #1, I would use it with Wi-Fi. AFAIK, AT&T can't add a data plan without your consent, even if it is an iPhone.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
The lack of a camera isn't a deal breaker for me- I need the space.

+1. I'm waiting for Satan to skate to work so that the iPod line will finally get an SD card slot.:rolleyes: Wouldn't that be great for video? Instead of downloading your movies from your computer, just keep them on a bunch of SD cards.:cool: Think of them as micro-DVDs.:)

For me lack of a camera is a "Meh!" Lack of expansion is :(:(:(:(. I guess I'll wait for a 1TB Touch.:eek:

tenand2indy

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
Because if the touch doesn't get the camera, I'd just the get the 3GS, which has a better speaker IMO, a built-in mic, and of course a video/still camera.

1. Yes, it's possible. Just put in a SIM, activate it, then take the SIM out, and just use it with Wi-Fi.

2. I barely even use my own cell phone so it's perfect for me.

3. Like I said in #1, I would use it with Wi-Fi. AFAIK, AT&T can't add a data plan without your consent, even if it is an iPhone.

AT&T doesn't sell iphones without a contract, and that contract includes a data plan.

I suppose if you bought a used / unlocked iphone you could do go with your proposed step 1.

I don't have an iphone but I seem to recall similar discussions here and elsewhere that AT&T does not allow you to get an iphone at a subsidized price, then activate it then not pay for the 2 year contract. Part of the activation includes agreeing to pay for voice and data.

iSpaghettiCat

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Miami, FL
AT&T doesn't sell iphones without a contract, and that contract includes a data plan.

I suppose if you bought a used / unlocked iphone you could do go with your proposed step 1.

I don't have an iphone but I seem to recall similar discussions here and elsewhere that AT&T does not allow you to get an iphone at a subsidized price, then activate it then not pay for the 2 year contract. Part of the activation includes agreeing to pay for voice and data.

I'd probably get a used 3GS. I wouldn't want to buy one at the AT&T store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.