PDA

View Full Version : A spinechilling story for homeowners

parrothead
Jul 15, 2004, 08:56 PM
There has been a for sale sign on a group of either new or newly renovated townhouses across the street from my apartment for about 6 months now. Yesterday my wife and I finally got curious and went over for a look. They weren't bad, 1900 square feet, 3 bedroom built in garage. That is the good part. Bad part: no yard, no A/C, no appliances of any kind, no view out the windows. The townhouses are located in a not-too-nice, not-too-bad part of Honolulu, NOT near the beach. So we were thinking that since it is expensive here that they would go for about $250,000. Wrong. Try $680,000!!! :eek: :eek: For a run of the mill townhouse?! I've got a friend in Texas that has a nice 2500 sf 3 bedroom home with a huge yard and all the fixin's for $150,000! Craziness!

Neserk
Jul 15, 2004, 09:07 PM
Yeah, but he has to live in Texas :p And doesn't get to live in Hawaii!

Abstract
Jul 15, 2004, 10:28 PM
Not exactly spinechilling, but that's quite a bit of money though. Is Hawaii/Honolulu an expensive place, or is it just the housing that's expensive? I forget how much stuff costs there. Haven't been to Honolulu in 12 years.

$680000 could buy you a nice little mansion. ;)

TimDaddy
Jul 15, 2004, 10:44 PM
Wow! That's a lot of money! Townhouses around here can be bought for less than $100,000. That is with around 1200-1400 square feet, but still, $680,000 for a townhouse! Day-am! That's freakkin' ten years pay for me, before taxes!

Mav451
Jul 15, 2004, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry...I was half-expecting "but there's a dead man in the basement" kind of story. It sells for next to nothing, etc. etc.

Oh well.

musicpyrite
Jul 15, 2004, 11:11 PM
$680000 could buy you a nice little mansion. ;)

$680,000 could buy you a nice little G5.

...on second thought, serew the G5s, get an xserv!

Dr. Dastardly
Jul 15, 2004, 11:50 PM
I'm sorry...I was half-expecting "but there's a dead man in the basement" kind of story. It sells for next to nothing, etc. etc.

Oh well.
HA! I was thinking indian burial ground! :D

etoiles
Jul 16, 2004, 12:47 AM
HA! I was thinking indian burial ground! :D

that is the house next door with the swimming pool... goes for $820'000 :D

medea
Jul 16, 2004, 05:33 AM
Hah yeah real spinechilling, thanks for the heads up.
Scary stuff going on in Honolulu.

gwuMACaddict
Jul 16, 2004, 08:43 AM
not so chilling... or surprising...

i feel let down

(you ought to edit the original post and make up a good murder/mystery story to go along with the house)

kgarner
Jul 16, 2004, 10:05 AM
That's insane. My in-laws are closing on a home next week that is huge. Three levels (2 above ground), large rooms, Master suite on the main level, 2 bedrooms upstairs (each with own bathroom), 2 unfinished bedrooms in the basement, a home theater room, 2 family rooms, huge yard, etc. I could keep going, but here's the kicker. I think they a getting it for less than that townhouse. I know they got it ofr less than $700,000. Hawaii must be outrageous.

Rower_CPU
Jul 16, 2004, 10:57 AM
On the other islands, it might go for closer to 400, but there's too much demand in Honolulu.

Even in San Diego, that house would go for about 700. :eek: :rolleyes:

awesomebase
Jul 16, 2004, 12:24 PM
Just try getting any kind of townhome/house in the Redwood Shores area behind the Oracle park... you would wish that a 1200sq. ft. home would be that cheap. Also, 1900 sq.ft. condos in Washington, DC are easily over $1.5M, so, this isn't exactly breaking news, but, I hear ya... prices are just totally ridiculous!

G5orbust
Jul 16, 2004, 12:27 PM
On the other islands, it might go for closer to 400, but there's too much demand in Honolulu.

Even in San Diego, that house would go for about 700. :eek: :rolleyes:

yeah it would. San Diego's house prices are absurd. Im surprised people still live here, with the high gas prices and even higher house prices...

parrothead
Jul 16, 2004, 01:53 PM
not so chilling... or surprising...

i feel let down

(you ought to edit the original post and make up a good murder/mystery story to go along with the house)

My apologies to any of you who feel let down! I promise to think up a real Stephen King worthy spinechilling story and repost soon. As for your questions about Honolulu being expensive, yes, very. Some examples of this, 400sf studio in Waikiki $1300 + 50 for parking. Gallon of milk $8.00. One gallon of gas $2.30, on the other islands it is around $3.00/gal (now I know this is cheap compared to lots of you, but still pretty expensive.) Empty quarter acre sized lot near Diamond Head with 10 foot high pile of garbage in it $1.5 million. :eek:

ebow
Jul 16, 2004, 02:27 PM
My apologies to any of you who feel let down! I promise to think up a real Stephen King worthy spinechilling story and repost soon. As for your questions about Honolulu being expensive, yes, very. Some examples of this, 400sf studio in Waikiki $1300 + 50 for parking. Gallon of milk $8.00. One gallon of gas $2.30, on the other islands it is around $3.00/gal (now I know this is cheap compared to lots of you, but still pretty expensive.) Empty quarter acre sized lot near Diamond Head with 10 foot high pile of garbage in it $1.5 million. :eek:

$8.00 for a gallon of milk? :eek: Damn! I guess there's little space for dairy farms out in the middle of the ocean. I thought $3+ in New England was bad, and we have cows for the next several thousand miles west!

Moxiemike
Jul 16, 2004, 02:42 PM
There has been a for sale sign on a group of either new or newly renovated townhouses across the street from my apartment for about 6 months now. Yesterday my wife and I finally got curious and went over for a look. They weren't bad, 1900 square feet, 3 bedroom built in garage. That is the good part. Bad part: no yard, no A/C, no appliances of any kind, no view out the windows. The townhouses are located in a not-too-nice, not-too-bad part of Honolulu, NOT near the beach. So we were thinking that since it is expensive here that they would go for about $250,000. Wrong. Try $680,000!!! :eek: :eek: For a run of the mill townhouse?! I've got a friend in Texas that has a nice 2500 sf 3 bedroom home with a huge yard and all the fixin's for $150,000! Craziness!

Hah! I just bought (and finally got the keys to) a 3 Bedroom townhouse in an up and coming hip area of pittsburgh, with a full yard in back and garage, and a total of 1750 SF for $55k!

Pittsburgh is RIDICULOUSLY cheap to live in. And this house really only needs some wiring updates, and some floor updates, paint and blammo!

:)

My mortgage is cheaper than my car payment!

m

2jaded2care
Jul 16, 2004, 04:16 PM
Pittsburgh!

Now that's spine-chilling... ;)

sushi
Jul 16, 2004, 06:05 PM
Pittsburgh!

Now that's spine-chilling... ;)
Now that's cold! :D

Sushi

Apple Hobo
Jul 16, 2004, 08:30 PM
I thought this post was going to be about finding a dead body in your new house or something. ;)

I remember looking at a real estate catalogs just for fun when I took a trip to San Francisco a few years ago. Talk about insane property prices! I remember seeing houses that looked like filthy crack houses and went for a quarter million+ $$$. They were listed as "handyman specials". :D The house I live in now is just an average house, but the same house would probably cost 1/2 a million in SF. :eek:

bousozoku
Jul 16, 2004, 10:09 PM
Here, around Orlando, Floriduh, I'd expect that to go for about $150,000, so $680,000 seems bad. Still, if you consider that everything on the islands is inflated--that most everything has to be imported--it could be worse. Take a look at real estate in Japan to bring you back to reality. :D

We had a story here where someone bought a house for $350,000 after having it inspected by a nation-wide company which said that it was sound. Six months later, it was condemned by the county government for being unsafe, due to termites. That's spine-chilling! :eek:

Gymnut
Jul 16, 2004, 11:10 PM

Yes, well it has been a sellers market the past two years as the median home price has steadily increased. I'm not sure how long you've resided in Hawaii but it's always been the case of the land value, driven up by low interest mortgage rates and increasing demand by mainland buyers. A cardboard box sitting on a weed infested lot could fetch in excess of $400, 000. Well, maybe that's a bit exaggerated. ;)

mactastic
Jul 17, 2004, 10:15 AM
Yawn.... you obviously haven't been home-shopping in my area. :p

The MEDIAN house price here is around $450,000. Where I grew up, it's up to $580,000. That means that half the houses sell for MORE than that. And if you can see even a sliver of the ocean from the corner of a bathroom window, you can double the price!

parrothead
Jul 20, 2004, 02:41 PM
Yes, well it has been a sellers market the past two years as the median home price has steadily increased. I'm not sure how long you've resided in Hawaii but it's always been the case of the land value, driven up by low interest mortgage rates and increasing demand by mainland buyers. A cardboard box sitting on a weed infested lot could fetch in excess of $400, 000. Well, maybe that's a bit exaggerated. ;)

Actually that ISN'T exaggerated! I saw a quarter acre lot in Kahala with a pile of garbage in the middle for sale for $1.5 million. I have been in Hawaii long enough (3.5 years) to know that housing prices are increasing and demand is skyrocketing, but still that price for an average townhouse is crazy.