Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I loved Ping at first- i worked brilliantly.

Now it hasn't worked for days.

It has gone the same way as the much hyped others eg

Beejive, ipushit, whastup.

NONE of these supposed free text/sms things work reliably or even at all.

Funny thing on ping it says the server status is "ok"

(Not just me read the Ping reviews in the app store and others are reporting that it doesn't work now)

At least I didn't pay for it!

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
I loved Ping at first- i worked brilliantly.

Now it hasn't worked for days.

It has gone the same way as the much hyped others eg

Beejive, ipushit, whastup.

NONE of these supposed free text/sms things work reliably or even at all.

Funny thing on ping it says the server status is "ok"

(Not just me read the Ping reviews in the app store and others are reporting that it doesn't work now)

At least I didn't pay for it!

Works fine for me bar the duplicate messages i receive. I think theres an update which has been sent to apple for approval. which includes bug fixes

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I am fully up to date with 3.1 and there are no new updates tp be had.

I tried all that with ipushit.

They just are not reliable enough to use.

I'm back to 15c texts-You have to know 100% (not 90%) your messages are getting through or there is no point.

M.a.r.k.

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
it may also be a problem on apple push servers... though i'm almost getting no pings compared to like 50 a day last week...

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Not sure where the problem is but all of these supposed free IM text things don't work for me.

And my free trial of mobile me was a major let down. I could never upload video or photos without it crashing.

email was never pushed either

Drop box in comparison works a treat-sorry off topic but sort of related

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
needthephone,

I am using Unlimited SMS now and it has worked perfectly, unlike Ping!, iPushIt, and WhatsApp, since day 1. Yes, Unlimited SMS does cost more up front. But sometimes you have to pay to get something that works well.

S-

Macom2009

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
I am fully up to date with 3.1 and there are no new updates tp be had.

I tried all that with ipushit.

They just are not reliable enough to use.

I'm back to 15c texts-You have to know 100% (not 90%) your messages are getting through or there is no point.

I am one of the iPushIt developer.

iPushIt is working fine. More than 6.000 messages and about 800 images are send per day.

Maybe i can help you with your problem ?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Not sure where the problem is but all of these supposed free IM text things don't work for me.

And my free trial of mobile me was a major let down. I could never upload video or photos without it crashing.

email was never pushed either

Drop box in comparison works a treat-sorry off topic but sort of related

The problem is with your phone's connection. The problem is certainly not with the apps themselves. Either that, or you are trying to rely on push notifications on a iPhone Touch which will always be unreliable (because it does not keep constant connections).

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
To be fair, iPushIt worked pretty well. The problem I have with it compared to Unlimited SMS is that it requires the sender and receiver to have iPushIt. That's great if everyone you know has an iPhone and is willing to buy the app. But that is not reality for me anyway.

S-

Macom2009

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
To be fair, iPushIt worked pretty well. The problem I have with it compared to Unlimited SMS is that it requires the sender and receiver to have iPushIt. That's great if everyone you know has an iPhone and is willing to buy the app. But that is not reality for me anyway.

S-

Thanks.

Rgs

Macom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.