PDA

View Full Version : Apple Mac SE HELPPPPP!!!!!!!

Boelman
Jul 15, 2004, 09:01 PM
Hi,

I just recently purchased a Apple Mac SE and it came with the system 7 discs. However, it only have 1MB of Ram and 10MB of HD space. When I try to load the discs in, it rejects them because it says they need more ram. I don't think there is any software in the machine because when I turn it on, the Mac Box comes up with a question mark flashing back and forth? Does this mean it cannot find a system folder? If so, is there any way to find system 6? If I can download it, can i copy it from a windows machine onto a floppy disc and somehow put it in the SE??????

Thanks,
Tim

Boelman
Jul 16, 2004, 09:17 AM
So I must have stumped the masterminds of the Mac World?????

superninjagoat
Jul 16, 2004, 09:39 AM
So I must have stumped the masterminds of the Mac World?????

Patience, grasshopper.

http://www.euronet.nl/users/mvdk/compatible.html

But be aware:

Quoted from http://www.mac512.com/cadl.htm

An example of Apple's Policy for distributing the old applications is found at http://til.info.apple.com/tilarchive.nsf/artnum/n54825

The policy states, "People who have older Macintosh computers and/or prefer not to upgrade their software can contact a local users group for replacement disks for some of these versions. To find a local user group, call Apple's User Group Connection at 800-538-9696."

btw, use Google. It's faster than waiting on forum posts like this. I found these links in two searches, both in the top three or four hits. - s.n.goat

superninjagoat
Jul 16, 2004, 09:49 AM
I'm not quite up on old mac hardware the way I once was (when I owned an SE, for example :) ), but I believe the mac SE30 was the first to come with a "SuperDrive," which was then a 1.4MB floppy. I think the SE had a 800k floppy.

In fact, unless you actually have an SE30, I don't see how your mac was even reading the System 7 disks.

Anyway, if you do succeed in downloading System 6, you'll need to put it on 800k floppies to get it into the machine. Good luck finding those! :eek:

Any one else have a clue about this?

Finally, my SE (not 30) was a great machine in its day. MacPaint is what eventually moved me into the field of graphic design. I finally died a couple of year ago. I had been using it as a print spooler.

Dreadnought
Jul 16, 2004, 11:52 AM
you can also hook it up through appletalk to another old machine, then you can install things through the network. used to do that from my G3 to my LC. Take system 7.5.3, that is the most stable and works/is compatible with os 9.2.2 if you want to hook it up in a network or something.

BTW, just looked in Mactracker and a SE has a 800K or 1.44Mb floppydiskdrive. And are you sure about that 10 MB of harddisk, it says here 20 or 40...

flanders
Jul 16, 2004, 12:28 PM
Are those original system 7 disks or copies? If they're originals; they should be on 800k floppy shouldn't they? I (barely) remember running system 7 on my mac plus and i didn't have a superdrive. Maybe I'm just remembering system 5 and 6 though...in any case you might just have some bad floppies there.

mkaake
Jul 16, 2004, 12:54 PM
<snip> I finally died a couple of year ago. </snip>

wow, that's scary...

:D

MisterMe
Jul 16, 2004, 06:49 PM
I'm not quite up on old mac hardware the way I once was (when I owned an SE, for example :) ), but I believe the mac SE30 was the first to come with a "SuperDrive," which was then a 1.4MB floppy. I think the SE had a 800k floppy.

In fact, unless you actually have an SE30, I don't see how your mac was even reading the System 7 disks.

Anyway, if you do succeed in downloading System 6, you'll need to put it on 800k floppies to get it into the machine. Good luck finding those! :eek:

Any one else have a clue about this?

Finally, my SE (not 30) was a great machine in its day. MacPaint is what eventually moved me into the field of graphic design. I finally died a couple of year ago. I had been using it as a print spooler.The SE/30 was a Mac IIcx in an SE enclosure. The SE was my first professional experience with a Mac. This machine was an expandable upgrade to the Mac Plus. System 7.0 shipped on 800 KB floppies, which the SE had no problem with. The standard media for 7.0.1 was 1.44 MB floppies. However, it was also available on 800 KB floppies by request. With the RAM maxed-out to 4 MB, the SE will have no problem with System 7 up to System 7.5.5.

Boelman
Jul 17, 2004, 11:14 AM
Is it possible that the internal battery has died and needs to be replaced. The mac was unplugged for a while and I was wondering if this had anything to do with it?

Doraemon
Jul 17, 2004, 11:57 AM
wow, that's scary...

LOL

Dreadnought
Jul 17, 2004, 02:53 PM
Is it possible that the internal battery has died and needs to be replaced. The mac was unplugged for a while and I was wondering if this had anything to do with it?

No probably that you will have to put more ram in it. 1 mb is bit tiny, even for os 7!

superninjagoat
Jul 19, 2004, 07:33 AM
No probably that you will have to put more ram in it. 1 mb is bit tiny, even for os 7!

I run System 7.5.1 on my PowerBook Duo230 with 4MB of RAM by taking out the help files and the pictures like the "about Finder mountains" in ResEdit and running limited extensions, I can get the system to run in 1 to 1.2 MB, depending on things like AppleTalk and FileSharing.

So you're right, 1MB is all but impossible for 1MB.