PDA

View Full Version : How does Apple compensate for shipped Mac's with defects?

2A Batterie
Jul 15, 2004, 11:34 PM
:( My first new mac, a 2.0 G5, came in the mail today. My excitement soon turned to fear, then frustration as I discovered that the constant clicking was from a defective fan. I believe it is the power supply fan, as it is located in the lower lefthand corner of the front of the computer. Regardless, I am frustrated because I purchased a refurb model that Apple states has gone through a stringent testing proccess to assure quality. I had to drive a half hour each way to the apple store, which won't be able to get my computer back for at least 5 business days. This is a major inconveneice for my own business, let alone personally frustrating. Why wasn't this detected in apple's "stringent testing"? Will Apple do anything to compensate me, such as memory upgrade, or should I request some compensation? If I do, will this be in vain? I'm just not off to a good start with Mac.

Dr. Dastardly
Jul 16, 2004, 12:00 AM
I think the most compensation you will get is a fixed fan honestly. But if you are really upset then call Apple and express it.

KingSleaze
Jul 16, 2004, 12:11 AM
It came in the mail? Not FedEx or UPS? What was the condition of the packaging materials? Those little fan bearings are not usually designed to handle a lot of stress. That or an alignment shaft could've been damaged in transit due to rough handling resulting in fan blades striking housing. In any case, this might not have been Apple's fault. I don't know, I haven't seen the packaging or the fan. Be happy that Apple will fix it for you.

Macky-Mac
Jul 16, 2004, 12:16 AM
expect to get you what you paid for.......don't expect to get more than you paid for

Horrortaxi
Jul 16, 2004, 01:17 AM
Will Apple do anything to compensate me, such as memory upgrade, or should I request some compensation? If I do, will this be in vain? I'm just not off to a good start with Mac.
They won't. They shouldn't. Why would it occur to you to ask for more than you paid for? They will fix the problem, however, so give them a call.

wdlove
Jul 16, 2004, 02:47 PM
Problems can occur in shipping, which isn't Apple's fault. They are doing the correct thing by fixing your Mac. It doesn't hurt to call them. All that you can really expect is to restore it to expected condition.

Lancetx
Jul 16, 2004, 03:20 PM
I've seen brand new computers heavily damaged upon arrival due to UPS and FedEx being rough with them during shipping. A fan is minor compared to some of the things I've seen, which include video cards and even processors having become unseated in shipment. A friend of mine had the latter happen and it required the installation of a new CPU (this wasn't a Mac this occurred to by the way). In this case all Apple really owes you is a free repair to fix any damage that occurred.

2A Batterie
Jul 16, 2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks for all of your input, as different point of views always shed lights on areas I haven't thought of. To clarify, it shipped Fedex and not UPS. I wasn't suggesting Apple send me a check or anything... it is just frustrating getting something new that doesn't work. I specifically needed that new computer to complete some time-sensitive work, and I thought if I expressed this to Apple I may get a speedier turnaround (have procare and applecare) or maybe a memory upgarde since that would help make my now urgent work get done quicker (extra ram really helps audio and video). But maybe I was approaching this matter in the wrong light. Regardless, thanks for the input as it was a nice help.

mpopkin
Jul 16, 2004, 05:37 PM
Yeah that sucks, but i had several more extreme problems when i bought my dual 2.0 g5(new) one of them was the power supply which has been acknowledged as having some problems which apple is very quick to fix, my other problems were major(processor, hd) but not standard problems. They fixed them, nothing more, occasionally a product slips through quality control, in terms of driving a half hour that is nothing, i go to college in the middle of nowhere massachusett's and was so excited and craved for a new g5 dual that i went to the apple store in boston, bought a dual 2.0 and carried it via subway/commuter rail and then bus all the way back to school and imagine the pain to find out i had all those problems, damn i was in the same position you are, i wanted compensation, damn i wanted a whole new machine for all my trouble, the applecare reps were nice and knowledgeable and knew exactly what was wrong and what needed to be replaced, but they were like take it back to the store, but luckily(and unluckily because the guy who fixed my machine didnt know what he was doing) i found an applecare rep who was certified who worked at my school and they got the parts and installed them, one nice thing apple did was when i did have the chance to take the machine back to a store six months later was to take it apart and reassemble it from the ground up(everything) for free to fix that guys quick fix, but in terms of compensation, nothing, zero, nada, and personally i didnt expect any, and neither should you, it would be nice for sure, but apple is a money conscious company(with 5 billion in the bank) and we have to smell the coffee and take what we can get

Good Luck, with a good fix it will be as good as new

Matt

:( My first new mac, a 2.0 G5, came in the mail today. My excitement soon turned to fear, then frustration as I discovered that the constant clicking was from a defective fan. I believe it is the power supply fan, as it is located in the lower lefthand corner of the front of the computer. Regardless, I am frustrated because I purchased a refurb model that Apple states has gone through a stringent testing proccess to assure quality. I had to drive a half hour each way to the apple store, which won't be able to get my computer back for at least 5 business days. This is a major inconveneice for my own business, let alone personally frustrating. Why wasn't this detected in apple's "stringent testing"? Will Apple do anything to compensate me, such as memory upgrade, or should I request some compensation? If I do, will this be in vain? I'm just not off to a good start with Mac.

seamuskrat
Jul 16, 2004, 05:59 PM
I have purchased many refurbs, and all have done well.

like anything, from time to time, you get a lenom.

Apple will cover it, but it is certainly a buzzkill, to drop the cash, get home and find out you are out of luck.

If you are NICE, patient and courteous, they MAY give you a different refurb at the store, so you at least do not have to wait for repairs. They are not obligated, nor will it happen everytime. But I had a similar experience, and the store did exchange my new powerbook with a defective screen that I bought 48 hours earlier with a brand new one.

djkny
Jul 16, 2004, 06:37 PM
2A,
Of course you have a right to demand some form of compensation!
I can empathize with you. I've had 4 different replacements on defect powerbooks in the last year; THREE in the last SIX WEEKS! It's all about time lost, business lost, clients lost, etc. We live in a computer age and our own work depends on our computers functioning and being there.

You have every right to expect what was promised to you. Don't worry though. Apple will make it worth your while but you need to voice your complaint. I know. I've been throught his rigarmarole for months. At the very least, you should get a RAM chip (512 MB or more), extra adapter/battery, or some peripherals. I've gotten all and more but that's to be expected with the amount of time and energy wasted in seeing my defects through.

wowoah
Jul 16, 2004, 07:34 PM
Sorry to hear about that, man. I certainly feel your pain.

My powerbook had major screen defects within two weeks of purchasing it (brand new!). I took it to the Apple Store and they repaired it in a little over a week, replacing the whole screen. About three months later, it starts having major screen defects again. I take it to the Apple Store again, and they repair it in about 1.5 weeks. This time they replaced the whole motherboard. Three days later, it starts crashing repeatedly, until one day it just won't boot up. I take it in, and they say it's the 3rd party RAM I installed (it was from Crucial.) Somehow, magically, the Genius pulls the RAM out and it works fine...until I get it home. Then, once again, it won't turn on again. I take it in and they send it in to get fixed, and I get it back in 1.5 weeks...

...this time with ALL MY DATA WIPED. All my class notes, my papers, my projects, 4 years of digital photos, all my mp3's, everything GONE. (Yeah I should've backed-up, but still...)

Needless to say, I was peeved. I actually got to talk to a "high-level" customer service rep who said she reported directly to Steve Jobs (yeah right.) Ultimately she got me to stop whining by sending me a free copy of iLife. To this day, I'm stilll pissed that I was bought out by a piece of software that probably cost them $1.50 to produce. I should've pushed for a RAM upgrade, or an iPod, or a new PowerBook!!

Anyway, the moral: don't expect too much. They'll be super nice and super friendly and get your tower back to you ASAP, but don't expect freebies. As much as we love Apple, they're still a business. :-\