PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Almost Perfect Package

MacBytes
Jul 15, 2004, 11:47 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple\'s Almost Perfect Package (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040716004738)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Jul 15, 2004, 11:51 PM
and that, my friends, marks the last of the "rehash of the apple financial status" links I'll post, unless one has some sort of groundbreaking whoknowswhat we haven't seen before.

Nermal
Jul 16, 2004, 12:03 AM
Apple's strength with students was a critical factor in Mac's heyday in the late 1970s and 1980s.

I find that very interesting, considering that the Mac didn't exist until 1984 :rolleyes:

winmacguy
Jul 16, 2004, 12:38 AM
and that, my friends, marks the last of the "rehash of the apple financial status" links I'll post, unless one has some sort of groundbreaking whoknowswhat we haven't seen before.
Thanks for that Mudbug, Ill refrain from posting anymore Apple financial news items.

rikers_mailbox
Jul 16, 2004, 01:02 AM
another good financial article. I find it funny how 'analysts' are such fairweather fans. Had there been any glimmer of trouble it would have been blown way out of proportion, as usual. Apple finally turns a good profit (despite the iMac fiasco) and these guys crap their pants. Just wait until the new iMacs come out, my friends. . .

I'm pumped for my AAPL stock to triple, then split, and then have iTunes spin off!
yeah, right.

robbieduncan
Jul 16, 2004, 04:10 AM
I find that very interesting, considering that the Mac didn't exist until 1984 :rolleyes:

Apple made computers before the first Mac! The Apple II (or ][ or however you're meant to type the damn thing) where amazingly popular.

Nermal
Jul 16, 2004, 04:33 AM
Yeah I know, but the article specifically says the "Mac's heyday in the late 1970s and 1980s".

By the way, I think they changed the "symbol" part way through - I'm pretty sure that I've seen both "Apple ][" and "Apple //e" when you turn them on.

realityisterror
Jul 16, 2004, 08:59 AM
In particular, Apple's PowerBook notebook PCs seem to have regained its hip status with the college crowd. That bodes well for the future, since today's freshmen are tomorrow's household heads.

that's an interesting way to think about it... i like that way of thinking about it...
(but it's true, while waiting in a customs line to reenter the US a couple weeks ago, i heard these college guys taking about getting DVD burners for their computers... apparently, they had all already bought one for their towers, except for one guy, who(m) i heard say, "i'm gonna save up for one of those mac laptops... that 17" looks really nice, and its already got a DVD burner." this excited me... :D )

reality

mainstreetmark
Jul 16, 2004, 10:02 AM
By the way, I think they changed the "symbol" part way through - I'm pretty sure that I've seen both "Apple ][" and "Apple //e" when you turn them on.

Apple ][
Apple ][+
Apple //e
Apple iic
Apple IIgs

(from what I can recall)

And yeah, I wouldn't call the Mac's heydey to be late 1970's....

gwangung
Jul 16, 2004, 10:48 AM
Powerbook regained status? Hm...I thought the figures always showed that the Powerbooks were always a strong seller for Apple (much more so than the desktop models)(which is strange, since currently they're relatively underpowered compared to desktops)

steveh
Jul 16, 2004, 11:21 AM
Apple ][
Apple ][+
Apple //e
Apple iic
Apple IIgs

(from what I can recall)

And yeah, I wouldn't call the Mac's heydey to be late 1970's....

Pretty close, except for Apple//c. (The owner's manual was my last major project at Apple in '85, I've got copy in my bookshelf at home.)

Gizmotoy
Jul 16, 2004, 11:42 AM
Powerbook regained status? Hm...I thought the figures always showed that the Powerbooks were always a strong seller for Apple (much more so than the desktop models)(which is strange, since currently they're relatively underpowered compared to desktops)

Maybe its just around here, but there has been a huge surge (from what I can tell) in the amount of PowerBooks here on campus. Our art department requires them, but those kids all keep to themselves. No, the PowerBooks are becoming much more popular with regular-Joe college types. They're now very useful in the engineering majors because most of our simulators run on UNIX (and also run fine on OS X's BSD variant). A ton of engineers in my classes have them because its just so much easier than having a Windows laptop and then running to the UNIX labs all day.

Of course, all of these are unscientific observations, but it seems to me that they're acceptance at colleges and such has increased dramatically. If I had to guess, I'd say its a combonation of the iPod as a status symbol and "aluminum is cool" trends...

nagromme
Jul 16, 2004, 12:02 PM
To quote, Mac lovers have "plenty to fret about" because:

a) The iMac will gain a G5 and new design, but not for another month or two.

b) Apple can sell every iPod Mini HD that Hitachi can make.

I'll try not to lose too much sleep :) Investors should try the same--unless they had their heart set on selling everything in the next month for some reason.

g4cubed
Jul 16, 2004, 06:55 PM
For those of you who thought the company started in 1984, here is a complete list of computers made their first ten years

1976 - Apple I

1977 - Apple II

1979 - Apple IIplus

1980 - Apple III/IIIplus

1983 - Apple IIe, Lisa/Lisa 2/Mac XL

1984 - Graphical User Interface (GUI), Macintosh 128k, Apple IIc/IIc+ ,Macintosh 512k

1985 - Apple IIe Enhanced/Platinum

1986 - Macintosh Plus, Macintosh Plus ED, Macintosh 512ke, Macintosh ED, Apple IIgs

rikers_mailbox
Jul 17, 2004, 12:18 AM
For those of you who thought the company started in 1984, here is a complete list of computers made their first ten years

1976 - Apple I

1977 - Apple II

1979 - Apple IIplus

1980 - Apple III/IIIplus

1983 - Apple IIe, Lisa/Lisa 2/Mac XL

1984 - Graphical User Interface (GUI), Macintosh 128k, Apple IIc/IIc+ ,Macintosh 512k

1985 - Apple IIe Enhanced/Platinum

1986 - Macintosh Plus, Macintosh Plus ED, Macintosh 512ke, Macintosh ED, Apple IIgs

sure, Apple's been around since the 70's. . . but I think the point was that the Mac didn't arrive until 1984. This is, after all, the 20th anniversary. Jobs has promised an exciting year for the Mac! (even if the excitement is delayed because of IBM).

For most, the real excitement has to do with the iPod, which really has nothing to do with the Mac, or 1984.

billyboy
Jul 18, 2004, 12:09 PM
How much do you reckon I would have to borrow from the bank to set up a mini iPod hard drive making factory? If Apple will buy everything I can make...