PDA

View Full Version : 1ghz ibook g4 vs 800mhz powerbook g4

tbart1973
Oct 8, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hi!
I am in the market for a new (used) laptop and have a couple of lines on the two mentioned above. the thing is i just dont know much about processor speed, and how much faster the one is over the other... basically i like the look of the powerbook, but i am assuming the ibook is more advanced... i guess if anyone has an opinion on the merits of each i would be appreciative... thanks!

fun173
Oct 8, 2009, 03:28 PM
the 1Ghz would be better. even though the ibook is not as good looking as the powerbook i would go with it because it will be much easier browsing on a 1Ghz g4 than an 800Mhz.

Another big thing is ram, nowadays its almost a must to have at least 1gb of ram so whichever you end up gtting, make sure you max out the ram

good luck

ps, i have used ibooks before and they are actually really nice

js81
Oct 8, 2009, 04:09 PM
Don't know what you're looking to spend, but I just bought the PowerBook in my sig. for $296 (after Bing cashback). I'm very happy with it. :)

hodgeheg
Oct 8, 2009, 04:30 PM
Hi!
I am in the market for a new (used) laptop and have a couple of lines on the two mentioned above. the thing is i just dont know much about processor speed, and how much faster the one is over the other... basically i like the look of the powerbook, but i am assuming the ibook is more advanced... i guess if anyone has an opinion on the merits of each i would be appreciative... thanks!

I would also recommend considering RAM quantity more so than CPU. If it's a G4 Powerbook it must be at least 867Mhz, there was never an 800MHz version ([EDIT - I was assuming an Aluminium 12", but now I see you didn't specify - maybe there was an 800MHz TiBook - I don't know), so it's quite close cut, but for most purposes the 1GHz iBook would be faster ASSUMING it has the same RAM quantity and hard disk speed. The graphics chip in the powerbook may be better - I'm not sure - the 1GHz iBook was quite a bit newer than the 867MHz PB.

FWIW the iBook has better wireless reception (much better, due to plastic case), and ime had better battery life, though if the batteries are old that's probably a moot point. The Powerbooks were quite a bit more sturdy IME.

The 12" PowerBook went up as high as 1.5GHz, whereas the iBook made it to 1.33GHz in the 12" and 1.42 in the 14". It might be worth hunting for other deals.

CubeHacker
Oct 8, 2009, 04:48 PM
What size powerbook is it? If its a 15", i'd get it over the ibook just for the screen size and higher resolution. The 200mhz isn't going to make that huge of a difference (they will both feel slow), but browsing the net will be much better on a 15" screen.

Consultant
Oct 8, 2009, 07:29 PM
What size powerbook is it? If its a 15", i'd get it over the ibook just for the screen size and higher resolution. The 200mhz isn't going to make that huge of a difference (they will both feel slow), but browsing the net will be much better on a 15" screen.

Yeah. And in some cases PB has faster bus than iBook.