PDA

View Full Version : MapQuest Releases Subscription-Based Turn-by-Turn Navigation App

MacRumors
Oct 8, 2009, 03:46 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/08/mapquest-releases-subscription-based-turn-by-turn-navigation-app/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/10/08/163216-mapquest-1.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/10/08/163216-mapquest-2.jpg

MapQuest has released (http://blog.mapquest.com/2009/10/06/mapquest-navigator-on-iphone-intuitive-simple-voice-guided-na/") a new navigation app for the iPhone that offers turn-by-turn guidance and local search capabilities. Instead of storing maps on the device, a network connection is required to get map and POI data and the app weighs in at only 2.9 MB.

MapQuest Navigator costs $.99 [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=319879317&mt=8")] and includes a 14-day trial of turn-by-turn navigation guidance. After this 14-day trial is over, users can purchase a subscription for continued service at various price points: one month for $3.99, three months for $9.99, or one year for $29.99. This pricing makes MapQuest Navigator a less-expensive option compared to other subscription-based navigation apps, including Gokivo + Yahoo! Local Search (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/22/turn-by-turn-gps-apps-begin-to-appear-gokivo-sygic-navigon/") and the AT&T Navigator App that both currently cost $9.99 per month.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/10/08/163216-mapquest-3.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/10/08/163216-mapquest-4.jpg

MapQuest Navigator's feature list includes both 2D and 3D maps, plus the following according to the MapQuest blog (http://blog.mapquest.com/2009/10/06/mapquest-navigator-on-iphone-intuitive-simple-voice-guided-na/):
- Route optimization to avoid areas with accidents, construction or other events affecting traffic
- Full route corridor download at the beginning of the journey enables the application to quickly re-routes in case of a missed turn, regardless of network coverage
- One-tap search for businesses along a route via a palette of on-map widgets in categories such as hotels, shopping, gas stations, coffee shops, parking garages and more
- More than 16 million points of interest and maps for the U.S. and Canada

MapQuest has posted a demo video of the app in action here (http://wireless.mapquest.com/navigator1.mov).

Article Link: MapQuest Releases Subscription-Based Turn-by-Turn Navigation App (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/08/mapquest-releases-subscription-based-turn-by-turn-navigation-app/)

Flowbee
Oct 8, 2009, 04:25 PM
Despite the horribly annoying background music in the video, this looks interesting enough to drop 99 cents for a 14-day trial. If it works well, I think they set the subscription pricing just right.

bretm
Oct 8, 2009, 04:26 PM
Been loving motionx, but gave this a shot for .99 cents. It's prettier, reads street names, and has night mode. Beyond that it's much
more simplistic and just a wee but more than motionx. So for $4, I have both. We'll see who wins. I know who loses- the crazy navigons and Tom toms that don't want to cannibalize their standalone products. Perhaps they should stay out of the software biz then.

Edit: also like the look of the traffic notifications. Although motionx says it utilizes traffic info for routing, there is no indication of such. But motionx has a lot more options for now.

bretm
Oct 8, 2009, 04:30 PM
Despite the horribly annoying background music in the video, this looks interesting enough to drop 99 cents for a 14-day trial. If it works well, I think they set the subscription pricing just right.

Video doesn't work on iPhone. ?WTF?

MacFly123
Oct 8, 2009, 04:31 PM
This is AMAZING Pricing! :D I didn't even want a subscription model, but for $29.99 a year... WOW. I might have to get this! :D I love that it puts pricing pressure on the other guys too!

MacRumors, please give us a review of this.

bigrash
Oct 8, 2009, 04:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of monthly pricing for gps, but that's an excellent price. I might have to try it.

MacFly123
Oct 8, 2009, 04:39 PM
Can this not go in landscape mode? :confused:

Golfer00ksu
Oct 8, 2009, 04:46 PM
+1 for MR Review. Pricing is definitely on point.

countrydweller
Oct 8, 2009, 04:56 PM
I downloaded it, just playing around it has crashed about five times. Usually while searching for places.

Angelo921
Oct 8, 2009, 05:21 PM
This is a great deal, only $29.99 for the year. With Sprint I used this and was paying $49.99 for a year. It automatically updates with the newest maps of the roads also at no extra charge.

My question though is...

Does it have turn by turn voice directions?

countrydweller
Oct 8, 2009, 05:27 PM
This is a great deal, only $29.99 for the year. With Sprint I used this and was paying $49.99 for a year. It automatically updates with the newest maps of the roads also at no extra charge.

My question though is...

Does it have turn by turn voice directions?

Yes, it does have voice directions.

Angelo921
Oct 8, 2009, 05:43 PM
Yes, it does have voice directions.

Thanks, than its a GREAT DEAL!!!!!!!!!!

DMann
Oct 8, 2009, 05:49 PM
Great deal - for yearly subscription. Traffic conditions and spoken street names are a plus. It does work in landscape mode, and lane assist has yet to be revealed.

fpnc
Oct 8, 2009, 05:52 PM
Competition is good but before anyone settles on MapQuest they should give some time to MotionX Drive which is cheaper both monthly and on the year. Also, don't forget that you need cellular network connections in order to use either MapQuest or MotionX Drive. If you don't have cellular data coverage or have weak connections then these two products won't work.

Another relatively cheap option ($35) is CoPilot Live which has its own built-in maps so you don't have to rely on the cellular network.

Angelo921
Oct 8, 2009, 06:04 PM
Competition is good but before anyone settles on MapQuest they should give some time to MotionX Drive which is cheaper both monthly and on the year. Also, don't forget that you need cellular network connections in order to use either MapQuest or MotionX Drive. If you don't have cellular data coverage or have weak connections then these two products won't work.

Another relatively cheap option ($35) is CoPilot Live which has its own built-in maps so you don't have to rely on the cellular network.

MotionX Drive costs $2.99. Is that a one time fee and than there is no monthly charge?

Daiden
Oct 8, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'm definitely getting this in a few days. The subscription fee is set just right, because I'll only need to use it for a few months and that'll be much, much less than the initial cost of TomTom.

bretm
Oct 8, 2009, 06:41 PM
MotionX Drive costs $2.99. Is that a one time fee and than there is no monthly charge?

Correct. It works. But it's another $3 if you want voice for a month. Or $25 for a year. No subscriptions. Pay as you want. It is a much deeper fuller option filled program. After playing with mapquest today it really is just a toy. And it gave me some horrible routes. Weird go around the block stuff. Motionx just works, and it works in 2d voiceless mode for free. 30 days free voice too. The answer is simple. For $4 you can try them both. Why even discuss it any further?

Angelo921
Oct 8, 2009, 06:44 PM
Correct. It works. But it's another $3 if you want voice for a month. Or $25 for a year. No subscriptions. Pay as you want. It is a much deeper fuller option filled program. After playing with mapquest today it really is just a toy. And it gave me some horrible routes. Weird go around the block stuff. Motionx just works, and it works in 2d voiceless mode for free. 30 days free voice too. The answer is simple. For $4 you can try them both. Why even discuss it any further?

because im bored LOL thanks for your reply

Digipimp
Oct 8, 2009, 06:48 PM
Personally I have been using Waze. Its free, the maps are less advanced but it does do voice turn by turn and even learns routes, re-routing and traffic live by other Waze users through crowdsourcing. They're updating it fairly regularly as well and once again free, no monthly fee either. It's social gps.

md65066
Oct 8, 2009, 07:15 PM
So after you pay 99c for the app, and use the 14 days... what happens? does it ask to bill your iTunes account? Also, is there a area inside the app where you can cancel it if you do not like it within the 14 day trial? :eek:

room237
Oct 8, 2009, 08:20 PM
Oh I remember MapQuest. I stopped using it for directions because it would get me lost 50% of the time, and send me to roads that never existed.

cytoxyn
Oct 8, 2009, 08:46 PM
Since I primarily live in an EDGE coverage area only would anyone recommend this? I played around with roadee and that sucked since it needed 3G to really work and update maps.

bozzykid
Oct 8, 2009, 08:47 PM

MapQuest does cache the entire trip at the beginning, so it doesn't have issues drawing the map when coverage is not very good. MotionX does caching but AFAIK, it doesn't cache the trip from the beginning.

theBB
Oct 8, 2009, 08:49 PM
Based on the info from their website, MotionX does not download any maps before the trip. They may implement that in the future, but right now that sounds like a significant shortcoming.

bozzykid
Oct 8, 2009, 08:50 PM
So after you pay 99c for the app, and use the 14 days... what happens? does it ask to bill your iTunes account? Also, is there a area inside the app where you can cancel it if you do not like it within the 14 day trial? :eek:

iPhone apps don't really have "trials". MapQuest will prompt you to purchase 30 days of service when the 14 days it up. It will then work like any app or in-app purchase. There is no recurring charges. So you only have to pay for 30 days when you use it. So if you don't use it for 6 months, there are no charges unless you want to use it (then you will have to purchase 30 days of service).

bretm
Oct 8, 2009, 08:50 PM
because im bored LOL thanks for your reply

It was rhetorical. Feel free to discuss. Carry on.

Back to motionx, it Has built in iPod controls. It has a compass/speedometer/lattitude&longitude screen. It has a dedicated search screen. It has a dedicated recents/bookmarks/favorites/contacts/etc screen. It has fastest/shortest/no highways options. It has a simulate route mode with various speeds.

They are saying tts is coming for road names, but I haven't needed it. Night mode would be nice too.

And I just realized the iPod screen is a 3 page screen with a turn list, gps long/lat and signal strength, and big mapless turn by turn directions. I don't know why these features are under Ipod. The interface could use some work, but there sure are lots of options.

Mapquest is looking like waste of .99 cents. If that's possible.

VenusianSky
Oct 8, 2009, 09:19 PM
Mapquest has always provided crappy routes for me. I stopped using it when Google maps came out.

iphones4evry1
Oct 8, 2009, 11:07 PM
Excellent.
99 cents, plus $29.99 per year. Sold! :)

and has night mode.
That's a huge deal for me. If a GPS/navigation device does not have a night mode, it's a deal-breaker. I can't stand those people that drive around with their dashboard turned all the way up and their GPS turned all the way up - how the hell can they even see the road?

binaryskies
Oct 8, 2009, 11:24 PM
Hopefully this time around MapQuest got things right. I remember using MapQuest several years ago and always getting closed roads and/or wrong street names. It was a pain in the ass.:mad:

bretm
Oct 8, 2009, 11:26 PM
Based on the info from their website, MotionX does not download any maps before the trip. They may implement that in the future, but right now that sounds like a significant shortcoming.

You know, Im not out in the boonies too often without a cell signal. And seriously, when you are driving through the middle of Kansas or something without a cell signal, I figure you should probably have a clue. Like "go straight for 300 miles, then turn at the first intrsection." :)

Really though, save the money and buy a map if you're planning on leaving cellular area and need the GPS. I'll pass on map updates and filling my phone with gigs of maps as well. I'm just trying to find my way to a job, or a buddy's house, or a party, or a store, or a tennis match, whatever. Isn't that where you really need a GPS anyway? To find your way around a complicated metro area? There might be cell holes, but nit enough to matter.

bretm
Oct 8, 2009, 11:32 PM
Excellent.
99 cents, plus $29.99 per year. Sold! :)

That's a huge deal for me. If a GPS/navigation device does not have a night mode, it's a deal-breaker. I can't stand those people that drive around with their dashboard turned all the way up and their GPS turned all the way up - how the hell can they even see the road?

Well there's always that brightness control on your iPhone.

severe
Oct 9, 2009, 02:03 AM
Great deal - for yearly subscription. Traffic conditions and spoken street names are a plus. It does work in landscape mode, and lane assist has yet to be revealed.

Wow. The last few days have been good for Nav Apps. I'd like to find a demo of this app in landscape.

Traffic and text to voice are major pluses over MotionX at the moment, though the voice prompts seemed very robotic as compared to other software.

Nice first release.

CaryMacGuy
Oct 9, 2009, 07:02 AM
It doesn't appear to allow my iPod music to keep playing. That will prove to be annoying in practice because most of the time I am driving, iPod music is playing off my iPhone.

ActionJax
Oct 9, 2009, 07:38 AM
It doesn't appear to allow my iPod music to keep playing. That will prove to be annoying in practice because most of the time I am driving, iPod music is playing off my iPhone.

That's part of the steep price of "convergence." I'll keep my standalone GPS for now, but having an iPhone app available when I don't have my standalone GPS handy might save the day.

Davoo
Oct 9, 2009, 08:17 AM
That's part of the steep price of "convergence." I'll keep my standalone GPS for now, but having an iPhone app available when I don't have my standalone GPS handy might save the day.

MotionX has integrated ipod controls that work well. I have used MotionX about a dozen times this week and it has been flawless every time. It is quickly becoming my favorite app.:D

zenoran
Oct 9, 2009, 09:12 AM
bla bla bla.... google turn-by-turn please!

bretm
Oct 9, 2009, 12:21 PM
MotionX has integrated ipod controls that work well. I have used MotionX about a dozen times this week and it has been flawless every time. It is quickly becoming my favorite app.:D

I gave mapquest another 3 routes today and each had it's problems. I've yet to have an issue with motion x after a week.

Mapquest recalculates waaaay too quick. I was driving through an intersection, when it told me to turn right onto the road I was already on!

Then, on another trip it gave me the longest slowest route.

On another trip I was at my destination much before it thought, and ut started telling me to get back to the road.

Motionx has a nice delay if you miss a turn. It waits a few seconds just to make sure you've really deviated and that it's not just a hiccup.

The maps on Motionx may just be regular maps stretched out on 3d, but they are better. You see more turns coming up. Maybe a couple blocks. Mapquest is so zoomed in that what you see on the screen is literally a couple hundred of feet of road. Maybe you see one other intersection ahead of you in a congested area, but generally it looks like a purple line drawn across a blank screen. It is easier to read the street names as you pass, but because of it's layout, you have to. MotionX is and works and feels like a real GPS.

Mr. Zorg
Oct 9, 2009, 01:11 PM
The various subscriptions are NON-autorenewing, which seems cool. If you only use it every now and again, you can just pay for that month.

Mr. Zorg
Oct 9, 2009, 01:18 PM
It does, but it stops the music at startup and whenever it speaks. Doesn't start it again afterwards though, which is a problem unless you have a built-in car kit, or one with a remote control to start playback. The iPod double-click home controls only work WHILE playing, so they're useless to start music after it's been stopped.

MacFly123
Oct 9, 2009, 09:22 PM
So after seeing this article I downloaded this app and I'm trying the 14 day trial. So far it is AWESOME :eek: :D What a deal! I'm pretty certain I will get the one year subscription! :)

I do want landscape mode though MapQuest! ;)

maryannee
Oct 17, 2009, 02:07 PM
I just got a 2010 Lincoln MKZ with navigation through Navteq and Microsoft Sync. My iphone 3GS syncs up perfectly via Bluetooth. But can you believe the maps that came with the installed navigation are at least three years old.

I was at the Lake of the Ozarks recently and know the area fairly well.
I used Travel Link for a point of interest (restaurant that has been there for at least 4 years) and no go. There was whole slew of places it could not find that had been there for years. My iphone never missed a beat finding anything I put in the map search.

Neither Navteq or the Lincoln Dealer had any idea when they would update the hard drive for the maps. The only answer I got from Navteq was to put in a request for this restaurant or any other place that was not in their maps on a form requesting it to be listed via their website. Then they would have it on their map next update.

Navteq did say maybe an update in December or first of next year but no definite answer. I think Navteq just threw in that date to get me off the phone lol.

I guess for a few bucks I will get that MapQuest meanwhile.

stockscalper
Oct 19, 2009, 12:16 PM
Both Mapquest and Google Maps subscribe to Navateq, so you may not do any better with them. TomTom uses Teleatlas, which although a European company seems to do a better job than Navateq. Copilot uses Mapsure, which gets its data from the Census Bureau, which means its maps are way outdated. You'll find that most navigation services use Navateq and if you are not happy with their maps then there really aren't a lot of other alternatives.

lllll
Oct 28, 2009, 08:52 PM
This is a terrible move by Mapquest. It is also a ridiculous fee structure. I would never use mapquest. The worst part, beside the fees, a internet connection is required. :eek:

Angelo921
Oct 28, 2009, 08:54 PM
This is a terrible move by Mapquest. It is also a ridiculous fee structure. I would never use mapquest. The worst part, beside the fees, a internet connection is required. :eek:

Soon it looks like google will be coming out with their own free turn by turn with voice gps app.

jkozlow3
Nov 15, 2009, 11:47 AM
Both Mapquest and Google Maps subscribe to Navateq, so you may not do any better with them. TomTom uses Teleatlas, which although a European company seems to do a better job than Navateq. Copilot uses Mapsure, which gets its data from the Census Bureau, which means its maps are way outdated. You'll find that most navigation services use Navateq and if you are not happy with their maps then there really aren't a lot of other alternatives.

Google Maps hasn't used Navteq since September 2008. They use TeleAtlas which sucks...my street (4 years old) disappeared from Google Maps when they made the switch and has yet to return. Navteq has always had better coverage in the US with more frequent updates from what I've seen. Hence the reason my standalone GPS is a Garmin (Navteq) instead of TomTom (TeleAtlas).