Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soldierblue

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
I'm going to say no. Will it, in a literal sense, run? Yes. Will you want to play it like that? Probably not.

Xirurg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
I don't mind low settings, just want playable experience!

mitx

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
what are you going on about? I just finished it on my mbp on lowest settings, but with native res. runs fantastic, until i realise i forgot to disable my anti-virus.

What OS did you have installed? XP, vista or 7 (and the x86 or x64 version)?

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
I have A 2.53 UMBP with the 512meg 9600. I just installed it in Bootcamp and it runs really well. Full resolution, with many detail settings on high.

I'm no pro gamer, so I don't know what settings you would want on high, and what don't matter too much, but the game looks amazing and runs smooth.

So the 512meg 9600 handles it great. Not sure about the 265 version.

Pili

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2005
Orlando/Miami, FL
How is Nvidia's Physx affected if your running a game that supports it on non nvidia hardware? Is the gaming experience much different?

I know not many games really make use of it now but I'm curious for when I upgrade cards in the future.

Edit: Sorry to derail the thread, seems relevant as Arkham Asylum is one of the big games pushing phsyx.

davwin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
Batman: AA plays fine for me on my 13" uMB (9400M). I run it under Win 7, Steam version, native screen res (1280x800), most settings on medium, disabled AA and PhysX. There is some hitching when first loading outdoors or larger inside areas but, this smooths out after 10 seconds or so as the map data is loaded into memory (you can see the memory usage in TM). I'd say at these settings the game looks very similiar to the Xbox or PS3 versions as far as graphic detail; although as stated above it does not load as smoothly and the console builds are definitely running at higher fps.

The PC version can be found dramatically cheaper, it still gives Xbox achievements, works just fine with a gamepad and of course has some custom mods already so its actually my favorite of the 3 versions I've played. As posted, download and try out the demo for yourself to see how it plays :) Great Game

Bunke101

Suspended
Oct 12, 2009
MPB 15 w/ 9600gt 512

I'm not sure about using the 9400 for Batman AA but I am able to run the game with full settings on a MBP 15 2.8 Core 2 and 512mb 9600. In bootcamp of course.

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Can someone give me a quick lesson on what physX is, and how I will know if I am making use of it or not when playing?

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
After posting in this thread, I spent a good solid 2 hours playing the game.

It's fantastic!

And the PhysX stuff adds a lot to the game. I am sure the game would be great without, but just seeing how Batmans cape moves as you walk, and wrinkles in a different way based on your direction, or how things on the ground will kick up as you move past, just ads to the ambiance.

I am no game reviewer, there are plenty of those out there, but it's just a really fun, very moody game. Play it in the dark with the sound on and you get a real feel of being in that old place, with all those crazies around!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.