Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday released Epson Printer Drivers for Mac OS X v10.6.1 2.1, updating Snow Leopard compatibility for the company's line of printers and multifunction devices.

Apple released a series of printer driver packages at Snow Leopard's launch and has continued to issue updates as additional support becomes available from the manufacturers. A full list of supported printer models for each manufacturer is included in Apple's support document covering Snow Leopard printing.

Article Link: Apple Releases Updated Epson Printer Drivers for Snow Leopard

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
So after installing these drivers, do you have to do they automatically get used by Epson printers that are configured, or must the printers be reinstalled?

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2002
So after installing these drivers, do you have to do they automatically get used by Epson printers that are configured, or must the printers be reinstalled?

Install the drivers. Delete your Epson printer from Print & Fax Preferences, Add it again.

This update fixed the problem I was having printing to DVD with Discus on my Stylus Photo R280. After installing the driver and doing the above steps, I can now print to DVD again.

Young Turk

gelid

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
That continues to be one of the best features of the Epson line. I just don't understand why other printers don't offer this feature.

In the U.S., I believe Epson has the patent on that feature. Elsewhere in the world, most of the major manufacturers' printers print directly on discs.

prints42

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2009
No newer "Pro" or "Photo" model drivers yet?

As far As I can tell there are still no new drivers for Epson's latest Stylus Pro printers.

Only limited function open source Gutenprint/Cups drivers for currently sold pro printers:

7800/9800
7900/9900

Also I cannot locate new drivers for these "older printers". the Gutenprint drivers currently offered do not support (AWB) -Advanced Black and White mode.

R2400
R2800
R2880 (currently sold new by epson)

It seems to me this latest round of driver updates to Snow Leopard are for the Mass Market consumer level Epson printer/scanner/ all in one crowd.

Anyone remember how long it took epson to update pro drivers for the Leopard release?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I have an HP 5280 printer for CD/DVD printing, I love it vs the Epson R200 that I had before (it was a constant battle cleaning the print head :(.)

I heard that Epson had the patent in the US, but somehow HP got around it, because I live in the US and bought the printer locally at Best Buy.:)

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
there are hp printers that have some slide-out tray for cd printing.

for those stuck on the gutten drivers - read the post i made above. according to one epson employee (don't know how credible), the drivers should be coming over the period of the next few months (some as early as november, while others as late as q1 2010). all we can do at this point is complain some more, and wait for results.

prints42

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2009
for those stuck on the gutten drivers - read the post i made above. according to one epson employee (don't know how credible), the drivers should be coming over the period of the next few months (some as early as november, while others as late as q1 2010). all we can do at this point is complain some more, and wait for results.

Thanks Definitive for the link to "EPSON MAC TECH" I had read that, unfortunately he/she does not address these more advanced printers. I was hoping someone could recall how long it took Epson in the last go around to update the "Pro" large format printers and the "Stylus Photo" R2400, R2800
or the R2880 (currently sold new by epson) Series.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I'm hoping this adds support for the R280. It pretty much doesn't print at all on OS X. Being a photo printer using 7 cartridges of inks, you gotta expect some amount of quality but with the lines and distortion under the 10.5 drivers it was so bad it was nearly illegible. The kick in the pants is that I can print under windows and this printer blows my mind on 5x7 postcards nearly in 3D.

EDIT: My Epson actually prints on my mac properly for the first time.. OH MY! :)

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
made de update, printer stop printing, it shows some error message.

any advise?

probably i better try unintalling it and intalling it again.

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
How do you uninstall this update?

After installing the EPSON Printer update, my CX7450 has STOPPED printing. I had to go out to EPSON's site to install the latest driver, which is 6.10 as opposed to 8.07 I think from SL.

Having gone one step forward and two steps back, how can you uninstall a printer driver update?

JP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.