PDA

View Full Version : Cube G4 Price

pcb
Oct 9, 2009, 10:23 AM
Hey all,

I am looking for a little advice about a purchase I am thinking about making. I am looking at buying a Cub G4. It is not for my main computer. It is more because I think it is cool and would love to own one. I will probably just use it for browsing the internet, word documents, and hookin it up to my tv to watch movies from it. Will it serve those purposes fine?

I think the asking price is steep as they want $300 for it. Is that reasonable?

The Specs as they were given to me are
Model # m7886
130 GB
6 USB ports
-2 monitor
-2 keyboard
-2 tower
2 FireWire
1 VGA port
1 network port
1 USB wireless adapter
1.5 GB RAM
Mac OSx
CPU speed 450MHZ
CPU Type PowerPC G4

Here is the image I have of it.
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=198145&stc=1&d=1255101678

Any help on the price would greatly be appreciated.
pcb

mshepherd
Oct 9, 2009, 10:51 AM
unless you are buying it for a ornament i wouldn't waste your money, buy a mac mini.

brendu
Oct 9, 2009, 11:03 AM
if you really like the design but want a usable machine, you can try to upgrade the processor with a sonnet encore g4 upgrade (not sure if its a socket cpu or soldered to the MB) or you could really go all out and gut it and replace its internals with a mini.

http://www.123macmini.com/macminicube/

but no $300 is not really reasonable.

mperkins37
Oct 9, 2009, 11:11 AM
300.00? !! ID PASS!
60-100 for the whole setup pictured is more realistic & it would be soooooooo slow.

Hrududu
Oct 9, 2009, 11:11 AM
Without a CPU upgrade, its FAR too expensive. I got my cube this spring for $100 with speakers, AirPort card, and 768MB of RAM. I upgraded the drive to a 7200RPM 80Gb drive for $20, got it up to 1.06GB of RAM for $15, added a Radeon 7500 for $12. I already had kb/mouse and a 17" Studio LCD, but a kb/mouse + 15" Studio display should run you no more than $70 on eBay. In other words, he wants about $100 more than you should consider paying. Continue to shop around I would say.

Pak^Man
Oct 9, 2009, 12:42 PM
First of all, I can see where the OP is coming from. I too think that the :apple: Cube is a peice of art, and would buy one just as that!!

However, I saw this article somewhere where the writer used the outside case from his :apple: G4 Cube to encase a mac mini (essentially creating an :apple: Intel Cube).... you should Google that, buy a cube body from eBay and go to Town!!

That would be awesome..... :rolleyes:

pcb
Oct 10, 2009, 09:38 AM
I understand what you all are saying about the speed and usability of this computer. However I do not want to go the road of the mac mini. I want the Cube because of the design. I love it, it is in my opinion one of the cooler designs Apple has ever created. This cube would be more of a collection piece. I would however likely use it for playing movies and such while hooked up to my tv. But more or less I simply think it is cool. I told the seller that I simply cannot do a $300 price tag for two reasons. One is you all say it isn't worth anywhere near that much and I agree. Second I am in college and simply don't have $300. Thats a lot when your already paying a whole bunch for school. The seller hasn't responded yet. Hopefully they will be willing to slash the price. The have been trying to sell it for over a month with no success so they might just want to get it gone at this point regardless of selling price.
We shall wait and see.

brendu
Oct 10, 2009, 06:45 PM
id get this for it, then it would rock...
http://www.welovemacs.com/sg4c1800.html

dbwie
Oct 10, 2009, 07:10 PM
I would ask over at http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/ These cube enthusiasts have a good idea of the current value of cubes, and what can or cannot be done with them through modifications.

flyfish29
Oct 10, 2009, 09:31 PM
I have inlaws who finally replaced their cube with a MacBook Air- I have been telling them to sell the cube- I think they would be happy to get $75+ for it! I think the set up is the same as the one you picture- they have the same monitor- not sure about the specs though. I think they have done no upgrading

jaw04005
Oct 10, 2009, 10:04 PM
First of all, like others have suggested I think $300 is too much. I've seen them sell from anywhere around $100 to $200 and even less on Craigslist.

Sigh. Everytime I see threads like this, I think gone are the glory days of Apple design.

They haven't made a substantial design change to their Mac products in years.

dwd3885
Oct 10, 2009, 10:18 PM
First of all, like others have suggested I think $300 is too much. I've seen them sell from anywhere around $100 to $200 and even less on Craigslist.

Sigh. Everytime I see threads like this, I think gone are the glory days of Apple design.

They haven't made a substantial design change to their Mac products in years.

uh...Mini? Unibody? Cinema display? iPhone? Shuffle? iMac?

jaw04005
Oct 10, 2009, 11:48 PM
uh...Mini? Unibody? Cinema display? iPhone? Shuffle? iMac?

Mac mini = no change, same design since introduction in Jan. 2005

MacBook Pro = same design since PowerBook G4 aluminum introduction in Jan. 2003, even with the unibody enclosure and black bezel — they’re still made out of aluminum and look very similar to their aluminum G4 counterparts

Mac Pro = no change, same design as PowerMac G5 introduction in June 2003

iMac = same design as iMac G5 introduction in Aug. 2004, there have been minor updates over the years to slim down the chassis — even with the Aug. 2007 update to an aluminum/glass enclosure they retain the original iMac G5’s core design (an upright LCD monitor with a chin)

Cinema Display = same design that dates back to June 2004 for 30”, 24” is basically a modified iMac chassis

iPhone = not a Mac, but has kept the same design since its introduction in Jan. 2007, except replacing the aluminum back with plastic

Shuffle = not a Mac either, has changed and changed back, was originally introduced in Jan. 2005 with a gum stick/lighter design, then moved to a square shape in Sept. 2006, in March of this year Apple changed it back to the gum stick/lighter design, now in aluminum

Go back and look at the complete design overhauls of the G3/G4 era. It was basically something new (for better or worse) every other revision across the entire Mac product line.

brendu
Oct 11, 2009, 01:20 PM
maybe their record high profits and growing market share is telling apple they are doing something right with their current designs.

Designer Dale
Oct 11, 2009, 03:07 PM
Here are the stats and street price for that machine from EveryMac.com.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_450_cube.html

Dale

CodeRaven
Oct 11, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hey FlyFish29,

I would give them $100 plus shipping for all that!

mgridgaway
Oct 12, 2009, 04:07 AM
Don't spend too much on those cubes unless you want to do some serious work upgrading them. I know you like it for the style but they're just not very functional without some good upgrades. It would, however, make a good basic needs computer, but forget about running flash (like hulu or youtube).

pcb
Oct 12, 2009, 07:25 AM
How about just running videos off the hard drive? From say itunes. Will it be able to handle that okay?