PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft battles Apple over Tiger's Spotlight

MacBytes
Jul 16, 2004, 09:04 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Microsoft battles Apple over Tiger\'s Spotlight (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040716100449)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

valve83
Jul 16, 2004, 10:14 AM
"Redmond, Start Your Photocopiers..."

rikers_mailbox
Jul 16, 2004, 10:19 AM
it was mentioned somewhere in some other thread, but. . .

Apple needs to buy up Google. This would be a very wise move for their piles of money.

rlarose
Jul 16, 2004, 10:50 AM
I posted a pretty long rant (http://think-code.com/think-discussions/viewtopic.php?t=2477) on this today... here is a bit of it:
UPDATE: My rants are as fact-worthy as G.W. on weapons of mass destruction, so take what you will from it...

The official count is a measly mind-thumping two weeks. You always wonder what the thought process is that goes through his big head, don’t you? How can I rip off some original Mac technology and make it look like my own? Where the hell is my photocopier? Well, apparently the answer is about two weeks. That’s all the time Billy Bob waited to transparently rip off Apple’s new “Spotlight” search abilities and try to pass them off as his own bastard child.

So eager to come up with a solution without actually having to do any work, M$ went and acquired $4 million by suing the virtual pants off some useless spammer (I am torn as to whether I cheer for that or not) and taking the funds to get their filthy hands on Lookout Software LLC of Palo Alto, California.

Lookout Software is run by a couple of thick-headed-sell-outs who are obviously eager to help the criminal Gates steal more wonderful ideas from Apple. According to their own website, “Lookout is lightning-fast search for your email, files, and desktop integrated with Microsoft Outlook™. Built on top of a powerful search engine, Lookout is the only personal search engine that can search all of your email from directly within Outlook - in seconds.” Yeah, the only one other than Apple’s Spotlight you numbskulls.

So, when M$ gets around to releasing Longhorn in 2006 you can expect to see a near identical implementation of our very own Spotlight (though it will more than likely be dirt slow and cause the blue screen of death). Too bad for them that our stuff would have been on the streets for a couple years by then. This does mean, however, that they are getting better at carbon-copying Apple’s ideas. A 2-year turn-around opposed to the 4 to 5 year turn-around on most of the applications they bootleg. continued... (http://think-code.com/think-discussions/viewtopic.php?t=2477)

iMeowbot
Jul 16, 2004, 10:51 AM
Eric Hahn? Wow, he crops up everywhere, doesn't he?

iMeowbot
Jul 16, 2004, 11:02 AM
Lookout Software is run by a couple of thick-headed-sell-outs who are obviously eager to help the criminal Gates steal more wonderful ideas from Apple
Oh, come on. Hahn headed up cc:Mail until the Lotus buyout, then went on to start Collabra. Both of these were messaging platforms with all kinds of interesting capabilities along the same lines as this Lookout tool, and that was years and years ago. The idea that this stuff was stolen from Apple years before they thought of it is kind of silly.

wrldwzrd89
Jul 16, 2004, 11:16 AM
Oh, come on. Hahn headed up cc:Mail until the Lotus buyout, then went on to start Collabra. Both of these were messaging platforms with all kinds of interesting capabilities along the same lines as this Lookout tool, and that was years and years ago. The idea that this stuff was stolen from Apple years before they thought of it is kind of silly.
Don't forget, though, that these same ideas were being developed and perfected independently by the BeOS team, which is where some of the features now being put into Mac OS X came from. The reality is that two independent efforts to solve the same problem are meeting in similar marketplaces, so nobody's copying anyone else here.

rlarose
Jul 16, 2004, 11:28 AM
As background, the rants I post on my site are usually to be taken as tongue-n-cheek and not very fact-worthy. Sorry for the confusion.
:D

iMeowbot
Jul 16, 2004, 11:34 AM
Sorry for the confusion. :D
Wow, the tone was indistinguishable from the usual zealots who show up in places like this. Nice work, then =)

rlarose
Jul 16, 2004, 11:45 AM
Ha ha ha! Thank you iMeowbot.
I think I need to add a disclaimer when I do things like this...

millhouse_man
Jul 16, 2004, 05:37 PM
This is such a typical move by Microsoft. When are they going to actually develop their own products and not just take other people's ideas?!

duce
Jul 16, 2004, 06:19 PM
Microsoft calls acquisitions and reverse engineering innovation. Is there any significant software or feature that MS has not innovated in this way. The key word is significant.

PowerBook User
Jul 16, 2004, 06:57 PM
Microsoft calls acquisitions and reverse engineering innovation. Is there any significant software or feature that MS has not innovated in this way. The key word is significant.
The talking paperclip. :p

iMeowbot
Jul 16, 2004, 11:54 PM
This is such a typical move by Microsoft. When are they going to actually develop their own products and not just take other people's ideas?!
*cough* OS X, iTunes, Logic, Final Cut, Filemaker, AppleWorks were all acquisitions, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

bousozoku
Jul 17, 2004, 01:26 AM
*cough* OS X, iTunes, Logic, Final Cut, Filemaker, AppleWorks were all acquisitions, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Actually, AppleWorks was AppleWorks before it was ClarisWorks, so it wasn't an acquisition. Mac OS X is partly an acquisition and it's clear that Apple bought many things. Microsoft has been more willing to make deals with other companies to get technology, then pull back from the agreement (as with Stac) completely or nearly collapsing the other company in the process.

Anyway, for anyone to say that Apple is the first to have a search engine like Spotlight is unknowledgeable of BeOS. Dominic Giampaolo put a lot of thought and effort into the feat, three times now with Spotlight.

iMeowbot
Jul 17, 2004, 02:27 AM
Actually, AppleWorks was AppleWorks before it was ClarisWorks, so it wasn't an acquisition.
It was definitely an acquisition -- in a way, Apple bought it twice. (http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bob/clarisworks.php)

[edit: Incidentally, the old text-mode AppleWorks wasn't their creation either; it was written by Rupert/Robert Lissner and licensed to Apple.]

yamabushi
Jul 17, 2004, 03:24 AM
Apple is the one with the power over Microsoft. Microsoft has pretty much run out of innovative ideas. They are huge and well funded but such behemoths can collapse under their own weight if you strike them in the right spot. If Apple made a professional full featured office suite available on multiple platforms, MS would panic. Right now the people at Microsoft just copy, acquire, and litigate. They have too much cash to fight by litigation and can make more acquisitions as well. Copy and improve upon their crown jewel however...

Abstract
Jul 17, 2004, 07:39 AM
I have to ask if anyone even bothers to read the posts where it is mentioned that Apple buys a lot of the stuff that MR members claim to be "innovation delivered by Apple." Apple isn't as innovative as most people believe. They have bought lots of things, OSX included. They don't develop these things from scratch. So instead of knocking MS simply because they're MS, maybe we shouldn't point fingers at MS and back Apple on everything. Apple didn't really develop this search technology completely, much like they didn't develop the widgets idea, also to be used in Tiger. Tiger is just Panther with a few ripoff ideas. Hey, lets be fair and bash Apple too, if you're going to continue bashing MS. Of course, I'm assuming that you're not hypocrites, which is probably not true.

Peyote
Jul 18, 2004, 01:38 AM
I have to ask if anyone even bothers to read the posts where it is mentioned that Apple buys a lot of the stuff that MR members claim to be "innovation delivered by Apple." Apple isn't as innovative as most people believe. They have bought lots of things, OSX included. They don't develop these things from scratch. So instead of knocking MS simply because they're MS, maybe we shouldn't point fingers at MS and back Apple on everything. Apple didn't really develop this search technology completely, much like they didn't develop the widgets idea, also to be used in Tiger. Tiger is just Panther with a few ripoff ideas. Hey, lets be fair and bash Apple too, if you're going to continue bashing MS. Of course, I'm assuming that you're not hypocrites, which is probably not true.

It's an established FACT that Apple didn't rip off Konfabulator's widget's for their own desktop thingies in Tiger. Apple had the idea a long time ago, before Konfabulator even came out. I don't feel like digging up the article on it, but suffice it to say that you should educate yourself on matters which you obviously claim to know more about than others, all while calling them hypocrites.