PDA

View Full Version : OD2 adds a million tracks

MacBytes
Jul 16, 2004, 09:06 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: OD2 adds a million tracks (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040716100658)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

the_mole1314
Jul 16, 2004, 09:17 AM
1 million tracks? I want to see if they are good tracks, not just Joe Schmoe's Band tapes....

michaelrjohnson
Jul 16, 2004, 09:18 AM
Where did they just pull 1 million songs from? That's kind of a big jump... are those the European Indies? If so, Apple had better hurry up their "negotiations" because if Europe wants Indies, they just got them.

jholzner
Jul 16, 2004, 10:17 AM
Ummm...yeah they are adding them "later this year." Apple already has over 700,000. It says OD2 will have 1.3 million once they add these. Big deal! If they were available to today it would be a big deal, but they aren't.

Sabbath
Jul 16, 2004, 10:50 AM
Ummm...yeah they are adding them "later this year." Apple already has over 700,000. It says OD2 will have 1.3 million once they add these. Big deal! If they were available to today it would be a big deal, but they aren't.

I think the importance of this depends on the quality of the tracks they are adding. ITMS uk currently has a very poor selection in my opinion while the US store isn't too bad, so this could be some serious competition, if Apple can't get those indies up or OD2 gets them up soon. The big peice missing from iTMS uk at the moment is selection lets hope they get it sorted, then we can look at higher bit rates ;)

nagromme
Jul 16, 2004, 11:53 AM
Exactly--the currect headline reads "OD2 adds no tracks, but hopes to within the next half year" :) Microsoft WMA songs that are of no use on the dominant player platform.

Meanwhile, what sources might Apple have to add tracks?

* Indie labels in negotiation

* Labels' out-of-print libraries--which BOTH Apple and the labels have said they are eager to get into iTunes. The labels have FAR more music out of print than in print--this is commercial music that you can't get in any store.

What source won't Apple use?

* Any old song someone submits, no matter what. I read that some music services will take ANYTHING, regardless of quality, just to pad their numbers. I can believe it. (OD2 wasn't mentioned specifically, BuyMusic was.)

spaz
Jul 16, 2004, 03:41 PM
this is a ridiculous article. "OD2 adds a million tracks"? when? sometime in the future? oh ok. that's not adding a million tracks, that's "someday OD2 will add more tracks". Apple will add tracks too, y'know. sheesh.

reporting the news before it happens is a little silly.