Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if there was anyway to tell the difference between a Rev. B and a Rev. C. I'll be taking a look at one this weekend that is the 1.86GHZ with 120 HDD, I believe both of these were/are offered on both revisions. Is there anyway to tell them apart?

Thanks,
Nik

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if there was anyway to tell the difference between a Rev. B and a Rev. C. I'll be taking a look at one this weekend that is the 1.86GHZ with 120 HDD, I believe both of these were/are offered on both revisions. Is there anyway to tell them apart?

Thanks,
Nik

Nik-

Rev C non-BTO models:

2.13/128G SSD
1.86/120G HDD

Rev B non-BTO models:
1.86/128G SSD
1.6/120G HDD

gerabbi

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
Not to take away from what has already been posted, but you can go to "About This Mac" and click on the more info button and seek out the model identifier. The reason for this is because some people can mod their MBA and put in SSD's and you may think you are getting something that you aren't. Just my 2 cents.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Not to take away from what has already been posted, but you can go to "About This Mac" and click on the more info button and seek out the model identifier. The reason for this is because some people can mod their MBA and put in SSD's and you may think you are getting something that you aren't. Just my 2 cents.

I think both the so-called "Rev B" and "Rev C" show up as MacBookAir2,1 .. so you have to go by specs and/or model numbers to differentiate.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
If you want to find out by looking at the MBA, you can determine whether it's a 1,1 Intel graphics or 2,1 Nvidia GPU by looking at the ports. If there are two ports of similar size, it's an original MBA (the mDVI looks similar to USB ports). If there is a USB port, a smaller port (Mini Display Port), and an audio plug, it's a rev B/C v 2,1 MBA.

To check further, go to the Apple and select "About this Mac" in the upper left hand corner. This will tell you the CPU and memory.

1.6 + 667 MHz DDR2 = Original MBA (probably HDD)
1.8 + 667 MHz DDR2 = Original MBA (probably SSD)

1.6 + 1067 MHz DDR3 = Rev B (probably HDD)
1.86 + 1067 MHz DDR3 = Rev B (probably SSD) or Rev C (HDD)

2.13 GHz + 1067 MHz DDR3 = Rev C (SSD)

Now, that tells you the easiest info to get to. If you need to dig further, select "More Info" on the About this Mac display box. This will tell if it's an original MBA or rev B/C MBA by stating 1,1 for original or 2,1 for rev B/C.

On the left side of the More Info box, select "Serial-ATA." This will finally tell you which drive you have for certain. Mine says "Apple SSD SM128." If it were an HDD it wouldn't specify SSD.

Remember to all, the quickest way to ensure it's not an original MBA is to look at the ports. One USB sized port with a smaller port and audio out jack is the rev B/C Nvidia MBA we all want. The original has what looks like two USB ports and an audio plug. The size of the mDVI port on the original is almost exactly the same size as a USB port.

Good luck.

gerabbi

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
I think both the so-called "Rev B" and "Rev C" show up as MacBookAir2,1 .. so you have to go by specs and/or model numbers to differentiate.

I have the "Rev B" and I was unaware that the "Rev C" would be identified as 2,1.

That's good to know.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA
I'm under the impression now that it's most likely a rev. c, but is there any other sure fire way to tell the difference between b and c? (I already know the difference between a & b/c)

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
Battery capacity may be a good indication, especially given that there may be SL9400/120HDD BTO macbook airs out there.
Check the "Power" tab in System Profiler (by clicking the "About this Mac"). If you see full charge capacity in excess of 5500 mAh, it's likely a rev. C. The previous revision have a initial capacity of 5000 mAh if i remember correctly. Now the System Profiler only displays the remaining capacity of the battery, so the MBA may still be a rev. C even if the capacity is below 5000 (in the case of a worn battery). The only way to check is to use coconut battery, which tells you the original capacity of the battery. It's probably safe to assume that most rev. C's still have >5000mAh of battery capacity, given that it's only been out for 3 months.
Additionally, if the owner allows you to verify the Applecare coverage online (just enter the serial number), the apple service assistant should display whether its a "late 2008" (rev. B) or "mid-2009" (rev. C) model.
https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Battery capacity may be a good indication, especially given that there may be SL9400/120HDD BTO macbook airs out there.
Check the "Power" tab in System Profiler (by clicking the "About this Mac"). If you see full charge capacity in excess of 5500 mAh, it's likely a rev. C. The previous revision have a initial capacity of 5000 mAh if i remember correctly. Now the System Profiler only displays the remaining capacity of the battery, so the MBA may still be a rev. C even if the capacity is below 5000 (in the case of a worn battery). The only way to check is to use coconut battery, which tells you the original capacity of the battery. It's probably safe to assume that most rev. C's still have >5000mAh of battery capacity, given that it's only been out for 3 months.
Ah of course! I knew they had different batteries (37 vs 40whrs, if i'm not mistaken). Thanks a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.