Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I am using Bento 3 but have been unable to lock/encrypt fields.

I have already created a password to lock the Database. I am able to lock the database but when I view what's listed as an encrypted field I have an option to lock Bento but there is no option to lock the encrypted field. The lock icon is missing.
I have looked at the instructions but don't see what I'm doing wrong. Any idea of why I'm not getting this option? Thank you.

dws90

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
In form view, to the right of the field there should be an icon that looks like a down arrow. When you click it, "Lock Encrypted Fields" should be one of the options. Is that icon not showing up?

You may want to try creating a new encrypted field. It's possible the field you think is encrypted is really just a regular text field.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Thank you for your response. I get the down arrow but all it says is:
Show Encrypted Field Comments
Lock Bento
Copy Field Contacts to Clipboard

It doesn't show the option to encrypt the field.
Also, if I'm correct there should be 3 choices for the eye, an open eye, a closed eye, and a lock. I don't get the lock.

I tried creating a new one but it didn't solve the problem.
I had Bento 2 and upgraded to Bento 3 which I know added this option. I don't know if maybe there could be a bug or either something wrong with the install but I even did a google search and it doesn't seem like other people are having this issue.

dws90

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
What's currently visible in the field? Does it show the actual text or is it just a bunch of dots? Choose "Lock Bento" from the dropdown. What's visible then?

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
When I went back and deleted all the encrypted fields from the database and cleared the database password to start everything over, it then lists 'lock encrypted fields' as an option.
Then I chose new library from template and chose user name and passwords. It shows lock encrypted fields in the password field.
The question then becomes: Under security I am not requiring database password when Bento starts. Is it possible to require database password when Bento starts and lock encrypted fields at the same time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.