PDA

View Full Version : PB 333 cell phone data transmission

jshooter
Jul 16, 2004, 11:10 AM
The latest demand in my industry is being able to transmit data from the road. I'm currently on a Powerbook Lombard 333 mhz, running OS 9.2 320MB Ram, 2 USB ports, serial port, PC slot with firewire Cardbus which needs AC power.The files (photos) that I need to transmit are usually 1/2 MB-1MB each. I've kind of ruled out Wi-fi as an option since I could be in some remote areas, and have decided to go with a USB connection and transmit via cell phone "if" it will work. I've been doing a lot of research and am coming up with windows drivers for most cell phones. I'm really new at this and have been using Fetch from home. I do have T-Mobile service and have been looking at phones with the USB option. Does anyone have any experience, or suggestions. Thanks much.

kgarner
Jul 16, 2004, 11:17 AM
It will work. Although it may be kind of slow for you. I connect to the internet through my phone via Bluetooth all the time (moving soon and hope to get broadband then) through TMobile. It works but its definietly not fast. It feels kind of like the days of the 33.6 Kbps modems. It is definetly doable, but don't expect huge speeds. Once TMobile gets their Edge network available things could improve quite a bit, but it will be awhile before that happens everywhere.

jshooter
Jul 16, 2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks KG. Regarding Bluetooth, I don't think that my PB has that option, although I've read that there are USB/Bluetooth converters out there. What about drivers? I won't mind the slow speeds at this point. Just need to get up and running. New client told me yesterday that it's a must if I want to work for them. Thanks much for the input.

Dreadnought
Jul 16, 2004, 11:32 AM
For bluetooth, don't you need os x for that?

jsw
Jul 16, 2004, 11:36 AM
I'd assume that your PB could use the D-Link Bluetooth dongle (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=34) with no problems - my Lombard PB uses it just fine. <Edit> I just plugged it in and it worked under OS X on my Lombard.</Edit>

And, yes, you can connect to the phone fine with BT as well, assuming you get one of the many BT-enabled phones out there. I use a Nokia 3650 with T-Mobile service.

I've had problems with maintaining a connection while using the phone as a BT modem. See this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=76163) for some discussion on BT set-up and issues (and there are other similar threads here as well). It might take some time to send a large file, esp. with all the dropped connections. One other option might be to transfer the file to the phone with BT (not hard to do), then attach it as an email and send the email from the phone. Especially if you can use a dial-up connection for email, this might circumvent GPRS connection issues.

jsw
Jul 16, 2004, 11:37 AM
For bluetooth, don't you need os x for that?

Quite possibly. jshooter - what are you running? I've got 10.3.4 on mine. I assumed you were running OS X. My bad.

Dreadnought
Jul 16, 2004, 11:40 AM
Your powerbook has an infrared port, doesn't it? You can also use that for sending the data and using your mobile phone for a modem. But it is still slow...

kgarner
Jul 16, 2004, 11:55 AM
As far as the Bluetooth is concerned it is not critical. A USB Bluetooth dongle should work fine, as that is what I use.It amy not work for your setup though, I was just saying that that is how I do it, but if your computer or phone can't work with Bluetooth then USB will work fine.

Here is a webpage (http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/tzones/) that talks about how to set up the computer. They assume you are using Bluettoth, but there is a link about using USB with CDMA phones. TMobile uses GSM to follow those instructions and try to work between the two sets of instructions to get it working via USB. Good Luck!