Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outcastrc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
BC, Canada
I downloaded the update last night. Thought I would share my thoghts on this version of gmap.

When I first updated the software, I did it through the phone. First thing I noticed was no voice. I deleted the app and downloaded and installed through iTunes. Voice was back!

First off landscape works great! The new ui looks good as well. iPod integretion is working, tho I can't find anyway to control the music while in the gps program.

Now for the bugs I have found so far.

Contacts works when it was an address I put in myself. So far only one out of dozens of google map contacts works. I am thinking that it might not like how google maps puts the unit number into address. But that's just a guess.

I can't change the default state from Ontario. I can't change default city either. Postal codes only show Ontario as well. So my best guess is they forgot to inclde the rest of Canada.

I don't see traffic nor is there tts in this version. I have to double check if they say it was included in this version.

Overall I am happier then I was with version 1, however it really looks like they threw this update out without even a basic check to make sure it worked. I'll be sending a email to them tonight with all the glitches I see in this version and hope a update is coming to clean this up.

outcastrc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
BC, Canada
I also found that the map isn't automatically switching between day and night modes now.

I sent in a support ticket with a full explanation of everything I have seen / tried. Hope it helps...

outcastrc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
BC, Canada
I just received a reply to my ticket. Hopefully we will see something shortly to fix the issues everyone has been having.

Dear. Customer,

Good evening.

We are very sorry that we caused this problem and inconvenienced you.

Thank you for your e-mail in which you suggested a G-map app.

We are really sorry that we took it off the G-map temporarily, because there was problem last week, so we've fixed it.

When Apple's submission is over in couple days, you are able to re-download it.

If you have trouble with voice guidance, I would suggest uninstalling, soft reset and reinstalling by first downloading into iTunes to have solved the issue with voice navigation not working.

We are going to discuss the your suggestion for better product in next upgrading.

Now we’ve decided to add TTS and other extra features in G-map East, West and Canada.

It will be available near update.

Once again, we are very sorry that we caused this problem and inconvenienced you.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.