PDA

View Full Version : Backup to FWD of PB, boot to eMac

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 16, 2004, 02:33 PM
Might be adding an eMac. It will be used by the other half for their stuff. And as a backup for my PB 12" that I use for work.

Question is, if I use Carbon Copy Cloner to back up my PB drive, can I then boot the drive on the eMac 1.25 in case my PB fails?

Finiksa
Jul 16, 2004, 02:42 PM
Yup shouldn't be a problem as long as you clone to a separate partition not a disk image.

I regularly boot my iMac from my iBooks OS X drive, and have cloned installations between various models iMac->Powermac->iBook without a problem.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 16, 2004, 03:00 PM
Yup shouldn't be a problem as long as you clone to a separate partition not a disk image.

I regularly boot my iMac from my iBooks OS X drive, and have cloned installations between various models iMac->Powermac->iBook without a problem.

Thanks, but what I was thinking about is in an emergency I would use the FW drive as the boot drive till the PB was repaired or replaced.

I do ad layouts, so my HDD changes almost daily. I just have to hope that my last backup is done before the worst happens :)

Finiksa
Jul 16, 2004, 03:36 PM
I think I get you now, you want to clone the PB to a Firewire hard drive then boot the eMac from it?

That should work perfectly, I do essentially the same thing setting my iBook to Firewire target disk mode then booting other machines off of its hard drive. The only problem I've found is some software looks for a particular piece of hardware in a system to prevent copying so will ask for the serial number to be re-entered when you launch them.

Other than that it's a really simple process, I don't see you have any problems trying to do it.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 16, 2004, 03:46 PM
Great, I may do some exploring about partitioning the 160gb HDD on the eMac. A bootable 80gb for my other half. A bootable image of my PB HDD (This way I have a double backup - though the partition on the eMac may be a week or two out of date, I can live with that as a redundant backup). And a 40gb partition for my other stuff.

My 80gb FW HDD is in two equal partitions. One bootable, the other for data.

Thanks again...