PDA

View Full Version : USB floppy disk striped RAID on Mac OS X

MacBytes
Jul 16, 2004, 03:33 PM
Category: Mac OS X
Link: USB floppy disk striped RAID on Mac OS X (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040716163307)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Jul 16, 2004, 03:33 PM
I debated changing the tag on this to be "humor" simply because I haven't stopped laughing yet...

Macmaniac
Jul 16, 2004, 03:51 PM
This is old I heard about this quite some time ago, still funny, I want someone to make and iPod Raid.

cc bcc
Jul 16, 2004, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry but he did that floppy raid at least a year ago, and it was all over the web. Why bring it back?

realityisterror
Jul 16, 2004, 03:54 PM
that's frickin' awesome!!!
lol... wish i had some usb floppy drives now...
this dude is obsessed with RAID

reality

Anticipat3
Jul 16, 2004, 03:57 PM
I actually set up iPod raid not too long ago... had three 10GB iPods. It was uber-1337.

nagromme
Jul 16, 2004, 04:07 PM
Cool :)

(No need to click on a story if it's old news to you. And no reason to expect exclusively brand-new info from a site whose entire content is volunteer-submitted links. Not everyone may know about everything that's ever been on the Web, or when it first appeared. That means older stories will slip through--and could still be of interest. It's a harmless use of one line at MacBytes.)

fabsgwu
Jul 16, 2004, 04:27 PM
Nice, he should try with USB 2.0 - watch out that was the doors just blowing off! I think my favorite line is

"but there is something special and amazing about the speed of this floppy cluster. It is really cool when you access the drives the way they flash each light and spin in no particular order that I can discern."

mainstreetmark
Jul 16, 2004, 04:27 PM
I'm sorry but he did that floppy raid at least a year ago, and it was all over the web. Why bring it back?

because *I* haven't seen it yet, and maybe Mudbug knew that and threw it up there for me.

And so what if it's old. It's not like it's the Dancing Baby, Bill Gates getting Pied or All Your Base Are Belong To Us.

(Someone set us up the bomb!)

jimjiminyjim
Jul 16, 2004, 04:34 PM
... and this is the first time I have seen it too - it gave me a good laugh.

wrldwzrd89
Jul 16, 2004, 07:50 PM
This article proves that Mac OS X is capable of making a RAID array out of just about anything, be it floppies, flash memory cards, or iPods. Heck, you could probably do it with Zip disks, too - if you had enough drives.

Sabbath
Jul 16, 2004, 08:15 PM
This article proves that Mac OS X is capable of making a RAID array out of just about anything, be it floppies, flash memory cards, or iPods. Heck, you could probably do it with Zip disks, too - if you had enough drives.

Hmmm I'm just wondering if this would be possible with a bunch of powerbooks in target disk mode, now that would be a crazy raid :rolleyes:

realityisterror
Jul 16, 2004, 09:33 PM
so do the disks in a RAID have to be the same exact size and the same format? (ie 1 128 MB CF, a floppy, and a 4MB MS)

reality

neoelectronaut
Jul 16, 2004, 10:26 PM
Hmmm I'm just wondering if this would be possible with a bunch of powerbooks in target disk mode, now that would be a crazy raid :rolleyes:

You're mad! MAD I SAY!

That WOULD be rather neat....

...space-consuming though.

mainstreetmark
Jul 17, 2004, 12:00 AM

I bet in another 10 years, in the back of some Mac fixit shop, we'll see just that... and running Longhorn on VPC

rikers_mailbox
Jul 17, 2004, 12:20 AM
I actually set up iPod raid not too long ago... had three 10GB iPods. It was uber-1337.

How? are there Firewire hubs out there?

jimjiminyjim
Jul 17, 2004, 01:28 AM
What useless gibberish...

(disclaimer: I've read it thoroughly, fed my addiction to macrumors news/rumors, and already posted on this once)

...who wastes their time contemplating ways to make a RAID disc, without a real USE for it?? ~sigh~

yamabushi
Jul 17, 2004, 06:47 AM
What fun! I still have a soft spot for floppies. Not sure if it's in my heart or in my head. :)

cc bcc
Jul 17, 2004, 06:50 AM
04-02-2003, posted by vniow: And I present to you all, a USB floppy drive RAID! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=23562&highlight=floppy+raid)

I don't mind old news being reposted, especially since this is really funny. But I wonder what caused it to come up once again. ;)

space2go
Jul 17, 2004, 07:48 AM
How? are there Firewire hubs out there?
only when they are not busy destroying tokyo.. (http://www.charismac.com/Products/firedino/)