PDA

View Full Version : My iMac late 2009 design

fatlittlenick
Oct 10, 2009, 08:45 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2659/3999090475_8e9897404d_o.png

macgeek18
Oct 10, 2009, 09:33 PM
so this is what you think it's going to be?or you have a imac like that????????:confused:

calderone
Oct 10, 2009, 09:40 PM
so this is what you think it's going to be?or you have a imac like that????????:confused:

What does your gut tell you?

Perrumpo
Oct 10, 2009, 10:18 PM

*snort*

dwd3885
Oct 10, 2009, 10:26 PM
ok, nice mock up. but be a bit more realistic next time..

22 or 26 inches? since when are these actual screen sizes? ExpressCard slot on a desktop machine? please. And DVI? LOL.

fatlittlenick
Oct 10, 2009, 10:57 PM

22 or 26 inches? since when are these actual screen sizes? ExpressCard slot on a desktop machine? please. And DVI? LOL.

Jerk Much?

hatehereyes
Oct 10, 2009, 11:05 PM

It's a mock up, who says he has to be realistic about it?

Josh396
Oct 10, 2009, 11:08 PM

Hence the OP's mock up.

I love it. I believe the next gen iMac will look very similiar but I'm sure it will only come in the 20" and 24" sizes, will have a maximum of 4 USB ports and probably won't have a DVI port.

hatehereyes
Oct 11, 2009, 12:14 AM
Hence the OP's mock up.

I love it. I believe the next gen iMac will look very similiar but I'm sure it will only come in the 20" and 24" sizes, will have a maximum of 4 USB ports and probably won't have a DVI port.

yeah i agree, i doubt the dvi port.

prodigee
Oct 11, 2009, 12:24 AM
I would say the 22" or 26" were doubtful along with the DVI port, but otherwise this is a really sick mockup. I honestly hope that is what the new iMac's look like, cause its sick.

macgeek18
Oct 11, 2009, 12:28 AM

Sorry,I was freakin thinking I missed a huge apple Keynote.lolI've been waiting for a while so sorry.hahaha:o

Techhie
Oct 11, 2009, 01:23 AM
Hence the OP's mock up.

The last time I checked, the industry as a whole had almost completely phased out 16x10 in favor of the HD 16x19 format (22" and 26" screens). The space inside a 26" iMac would almost certainly allow for more ports as well as a better GPU with dual monitor connections (even if Apple forces it to use their proprietary crap) :)

Anyway, great design, I especially like the inclusion of the SD card slot.

wixberry
Oct 11, 2009, 02:11 AM
really Nice Mock-up, wouldn't mine to get one of those :p

SmugMac
Oct 11, 2009, 03:15 AM
I can't imaging Apple doing a 26-inch iMac, or DVI out.

However the design looks attractive and I agree on the LCD backlit panel.

jake.f
Oct 11, 2009, 04:20 AM

You may or may not have caught on to the fact that this is a MOCK UP

MattZani
Oct 11, 2009, 07:47 AM
If its going to look that similar to the ACD, they would make it 24", So they fit next to each other.

No Express Card Slot
Apple will stick with 16x10
No DVI Port
SD Card Slot part of the DVD Drive Cutout, so its cleaner.

cleanup
Oct 11, 2009, 08:32 AM
Smexy!

I find the larger Apple logo a bit distracting for some reason though. If they made an iMac that looked just like an ACD (don't particularly mind which one) then I'd buy one!

Except, I have no use for a non-laptop Mac. :rolleyes:

equalsabracket
Oct 11, 2009, 09:56 AM
I think if there's a new imac, it'll be a new design completely. In the same way that the current one was a different design from the plantpot one.

puckhead193
Oct 11, 2009, 12:51 PM
i like the express 34 slot to add esata

fatlittlenick
Oct 11, 2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
I probably should have stuck a HDMI port on the back rather than a DVi, but then again, like hatehereyes, josh and the TITLE of the post says, its a mock-up.

@ cleanup,
yeah, thinking about that now, it would look less destracting if
the logo was smaller. I just had an idea that it could have been, say,
the same size but cut into the glass with a matte finish, so you only
really notice it in a sunny reflection etc.

fatlittlenick
Oct 11, 2009, 05:21 PM
...and 20" and 24" screens would be the way to go too.

fily
Oct 11, 2009, 06:07 PM
You know, I think it'd be a brilliant idea if they made a video in port. It would further advance Apple in the sense that they support customers using their computers for Xbox's, PS3's and others.

prodigee
Oct 11, 2009, 06:13 PM
You know, I think it'd be a brilliant idea if they made a video in port. It would further advance Apple in the sense that they support customers using their computers for Xbox's, PS3's and others.

Apple trying to save money for the consumer? Dream on.. :p

fily
Oct 11, 2009, 06:33 PM
Apple trying to save money for the consumer? Dream on.. :p

But Apple trying to make sure you solely stick with the Apple brand? My brother has an iMac and he wishes he could use it for his Xbox, but he can't, so what does he do? Well, he ain't going to put more money into Apple since their displays are dang expensive, so he goes and buys a monitor from a competitor.

Supa_Fly
Oct 11, 2009, 06:37 PM
Not bad design layout, but why do we need ExpressCard 34/54 slot on the iMac? Also, maybe a multi-card slot is better than simply an SD card slot.

6-8 USB ports would be nice - but recall we have 2 on the keyboard so that already fills the 6 minimum (4 on back).

256MB minimum video card memory support; better yet 512MB would be better with 1/1.5GB top end.

prodigee
Oct 11, 2009, 06:42 PM
This is true, but really that is the way they operate. Anyway back on topic, A quick suggestion for the mock up is that rather than a solid aluminum back the you could have a small plastic strip where the antenna is, which is what they do with unibodies which is why the hinges are plastic. Just a suggestion for your otherwise sick mock up.

fily
Oct 11, 2009, 06:48 PM
6-8 USB ports would be nice - but recall we have 2 on the keyboard so that already fills the 6 minimum (4 on back).

The keyboard has two if wired, at only USB 1.0 speed. The keyboard takes up on port. If wired (which I believe to more common), you only have 3 dedicated USB 2.0 and two USB 1.0, thus 5.

djourd
Oct 11, 2009, 06:55 PM
Very cool. I don't think apple would put a dvi port and an express port on the iMac

suMMx
Oct 11, 2009, 07:04 PM
given apple's past, they'll probably only have a mini-dvi, 2 usb ports, firewire 800 and NO ethernet port

fily
Oct 11, 2009, 07:27 PM
given apple's past, they'll probably only have a mini-dvi, 2 usb ports, firewire 800 and NO ethernet port

Have they done that, ever? I don't believe they'll ever do that. That would be the DUMBEST move ever. Not everyone has wireless. Not everyone prefers wireless.

CJS7070
Oct 11, 2009, 08:26 PM
Smexy!

I find the larger Apple logo a bit distracting for some reason though. If they made an iMac that looked just like an ACD (don't particularly mind which one) then I'd buy one!

Except, I have no use for a non-laptop Mac. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think that the Apple logo looks a bit out of place. Other than that, though, it's awesome!

i4k20c
Oct 15, 2009, 09:15 PM
yeah i agree, i doubt the dvi port.

please provide a thesis explaining why, something not from google preferably.

hatehereyes
Oct 16, 2009, 01:01 AM
please provide a thesis explaining why, something not from google preferably.

umm lets see... looking at the current imacs and mac mini's...

1. They don't seem to have dvi ports
2. DVI is getting replaced by miniDVI and miniDP (miniDisplayPort if you didn't know)

Would you like me to list some more reason why I believe the new refresh won't have DVI ports?

actually I think the new iMacs will also include a VGA port... ;);)

suMMx
Oct 17, 2009, 02:52 AM
Have they done that, ever? I don't believe they'll ever do that. That would be the DUMBEST move ever. Not everyone has wireless. Not everyone prefers wireless.

you know what sounds like a dumb idea? no cd rom drive, or no dvi port... those ideas sound terrible, but for some reason they are now gone on the highest end macbook pros and we all still buy their products.

ravenvii
Oct 17, 2009, 03:49 AM
This = win. Though I'm not in the market for an new iMac (my iMac is just a year old, so I won't be for another year at the very least), but I would be very happy if this is the direction they take.

The keyboard though, day one buy for me!

you know what sounds like a dumb idea? no cd rom drive, or no dvi port... those ideas sound terrible, but for some reason they are now gone on the highest end macbook pros and we all still buy their products.

Hmm? Am I missing something or all of the MacBook Pro's do have optical drives, and though they don't have DVI ports, they do have mini DisplayPort ports?

Or you meant the MacBook Air?

Melrose
Oct 17, 2009, 08:57 AM
...and 20" and 24" screens would be the way to go too.

Two 30s side by side. That would be saweet :)

spencers
Oct 17, 2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
I probably should have stuck a HDMI port on the back rather than a DVi, but then again, like hatehereyes, josh and the TITLE of the post says, its a mock-up.

It's not in the title.
If you can't take criticism, don't post.

ViViDboarder
Oct 26, 2009, 03:05 PM
So looking back...

Screen did NOT stay 16:10 as previously suggested.

And... You know, I think it'd be a brilliant idea if they made a video in port. It would further advance Apple in the sense that they support customers using their computers for Xbox's, PS3's and others.

You took criticism well but, DAMN. You were dead on! Who did not see that coming?

Also, the comment earlier about the SD card reader being integrated with the DVD drive, that was close.