Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When Do You Think The Ipod Touch Camera Will Debut?

• October

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • By Christmas

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • Jan-March

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • June-July

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • September

Votes: 55 49.1%
  • Never!

Votes: 15 13.4%

• Total voters

ipodtouch3g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Hi guys,
i was just wondering what you guys thought. I think it is going to be before christmas. With all the cases still out, and apple not calling it the 3rd gen(they call it late 2009) on their website, i think the ipod will come soon. Another weird thing is that the 16gb is gone.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hi guys,
i was just wondering what you guys thought. I think it is going to be before christmas. With all the cases still out, and apple not calling it the 3rd gen(they call it late 2009) on their website, i think the ipod will come soon. Another weird thing is that the 16gb is gone.

it will be September but wait till Christmas if you think otherwise.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hi guys,

1) Many of the Apple products are designated by when they were released. They would also have possible issues if they named it iPod Touch 3g. The iPhone went from iPhone to iPhone 3G when it went to the 3G network and then to 3GS in the next revision. They didn't call it iPhone 4g because people might think it would work on the 4G network. I think you will see the iPod Touch designated by it's release date from now on to prevent any misunderstandings with the iPhone designation. The other iPod lines will probably keep their naming designation since there is no similarity to the iPhone.

2) As people have mentioned in other threads, the case makers read the rumor sites and try to get a jump on each other. If Apple told the case makers anything other then that the iPod would have the same dimensions (outside and screen), the same switch size/positions, and the same connector size/positions, Apple would now have multiple lawsuits from the case manufacturers. No lawsuits = the case manufacturers screwed up

3) It cost Apple money for each version of the Touch they produce (from manufacturing through sales). Apple dropped the price of the 32gb to the price of the 16gb and eliminated the 16g. People will now get the 32gb for the price of last year's 16gb. (Note - the 8gb is the same as last years design. Only the 32gb and 64gb are the newer design.)

ipodtouch3g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
1) Many of the Apple products are designated by when they were released. They would also have possible issues if they named it iPod Touch 3g. The iPhone went from iPhone to iPhone 3G when it went to the 3G network and then to 3GS in the next revision. They didn't call it iPhone 4g because people might think it would work on the 4G network. I think you will see the iPod Touch designated by it's release date from now on to prevent any misunderstandings with the iPhone designation. The other iPod lines will probably keep their naming designation since there is no similarity to the iPhone.

2) As people have mentioned in other threads, the case makers read the rumor sites and try to get a jump on each other. If Apple told the case makers anything other then that the iPod would have the same dimensions (outside and screen), the same switch size/positions, and the same connector size/positions, Apple would now have multiple lawsuits from the case manufacturers. No lawsuits = the case manufacturers screwed up

3) It cost Apple money for each version of the Touch they produce (from manufacturing through sales). Apple dropped the price of the 32gb to the price of the 16gb and eliminated the 16g. People will now get the 32gb for the price of last year's 16gb. (Note - the 8gb is the same as last years design. Only the 32gb and 64gb are the newer design.)

my response is that :
1) i think they would still name it 3rd gen. they don't call it 3g or 2g on their website. they call it 3rd gen and 2nd gen. that doesn't cause misunderstanding. the other reason is that wouldn't they do the same thing with 2g, if your opinion was true. 2g can also cause misunderstanding.
2) i think your right on this.
3) i was hoping they would do the same thing with the 8gb. like make the 16gb 250 dollars with all the new things.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
my response is that :
1) i think they would still name it 3rd gen. they don't call it 3g or 2g on their website. they call it 3rd gen and 2nd gen. that doesn't cause misunderstanding. the other reason is that wouldn't they do the same thing with 2g, if your opinion was true. 2g can also cause misunderstanding.
2) i think your right on this.
3) i was hoping they would do the same thing with the 8gb. like make the 16gb 250 dollars with all the new things.

Unfortunately, if you call it 3rd gen, people shorten it to 3g :(. This could cause confusion with the iPhone 3G network and comparisons to the iPhone 3G when it's most similar to the iPhone GS. I myself would have liked 3rd gen but I can also see where it could cause Apple some headaches. My Mac Pro is designated Mac Pro early spring 2009 and I believe they are going to start using the date designator on most of Apple's products Note - If you look back on the Mac Pro threads from this spring, a large number of people claimed the early spring designation indicated that Apple was going to soon put out a new revision (sound familiar :) ).

ipodtouch3g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Unfortunately, if you call it 3rd gen, people shorten it to 3g :(. This could cause confusion with the iPhone 3G network and comparisons to the iPhone 3G when it's most similar to the iPhone GS. I myself would have liked 3rd gen but I can also see where it could cause Apple some headaches. My Mac Pro is designated Mac Pro early spring 2009 and I believe they are going to start using the date designator on most of Apple's products Note - If you look back on the Mac Pro threads from this spring, a large number of people claimed the early spring designation indicated that Apple was going to soon put out a new revision (sound familiar :) ).

i think it is to make it clear when it was released. on apple they have 2 or 3 mac pro refreshes a year. They name it that because they update so often. Maybe they are naming it late 2009, because they will refresh the ipod touch too this time. i think it all depends on the point of view you look at it.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
i think it is to make it clear when it was released. on apple they have 2 or 3 mac pro refreshes a year. They name it that because they update so often. Maybe they are naming it late 2009, because they will refresh the ipod touch too this time. i think it all depends on the point of view you look at it.

Heh ?????

The Mac Pro never refreshes more then once / year which was my point.
They still called it the Mac Pro early 2009 even though we will not see a revision till next year.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

I thought we talked about this on the other form, the oct. 14th one. Apple names their products by Generation and Early, Mid, Late year. Its not one or another, its both. They take both into consideration. Why would they have a late 2009 model, just to release another late 2009 model. That makes no sense whatsoever. The earliest it would be is early 2010, like i've stated many times before jan-march at earliest.

And that't if they ever put a camera in it. Right now for me it stands 40% yes, 60% no. Its a gaming machine, a camera isn't needed.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
there is always like 2 a year. check this out: http://support.apple.com/specs/#macbookpro

Okay first off he said Mac Pro, not Macbook Pro. Second the 17 in was updated twice because back in 2008 it didn't become a unibody like the other Macbooks. Then mid 2009 it was updated with the other pros because they added the SD card slot.

Seriously, just let the whole Early, Mid, Late thing is not going to prove a new touch is coming sooner than next september

Also, I'm 99.9% positive that it was only named late 2009 to not mix up the 8GB iPod Touch. Because the specs of the 8GB 2nd and 3rd Gen. are the absolute same. By naming the 8, 32 and 64 GB Touch Late 2009, it doesn't confuse the two 8GB with each other because the 09 were of course built later.

Like it has been stated before in other threads, the Classic is also named late 2009 and that's not going to be upgrade until next September like it has been for the past few years.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Okay first off he said Mac Pro, not Macbook Pro. Second the 17 in was updated twice because back in 2008 it didn't become a unibody like the other Macbooks. Then mid 2009 it was updated with the other pros because they added the SD card slot.

Seriously, just let the whole Early, Mid, Late thing is not going to prove a new touch is coming sooner than next september

Also, I'm 99.9% positive that it was only named late 2009 to not mix up the 8GB iPod Touch. Because the specs of the 8GB 2nd and 3rd Gen. are the absolute same. By naming the 8, 32 and 64 GB Touch Late 2009, it doesn't confuse the two 8GB with each other because the 09 were of course built later.

Like it has been stated before in other threads, the Classic is also named late 2009 and that's not going to be upgrade until next September like it has been for the past few years.

+1

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
Please calm down about the camera. Goodness. If you want a camera, get and actual camera. They are built to take really really good pictures and videos.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Please calm down about the camera. Goodness. If you want a camera, get and actual camera. They are built to take really really good pictures and videos.

+1

I think the whole iPod Touch camera thing has gone on a little too long now. Yes people wanted it, why I don't know. They didn't get it, just let it be. APple doesn't want you to have it, so you don't have it. Talking about it and making dozens of threads won't change what has happened and what will happen. it is out of our hands and Apple is in control.

BazeX

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
+1

I think the whole iPod Touch camera thing has gone on a little too long now. Yes people wanted it, why I don't know. They didn't get it, just let it be. APple doesn't want you to have it, so you don't have it. Talking about it and making dozens of threads won't change what has happened and what will happen. it is out of our hands and Apple is in control.
I don't think Apple doesn't want us to have it, since they gave a camera to the Nano. I do believe that with all the early hype they might have chosen to punish us or prolong it's release and just add a mic instead.
The mic and the nano camera seems to be a hint for a camera for the ipod touch though.
I also think they are prolonging it because what are two things that the iphone has that ipod touch doesn't? A phone plan and a camera (in the basic sense of things) so if they add a camera it could possibly lessen their iphone sales.
Also why is it wanted? It's always nice to carry less things, so if there is an ipod/camera/video all in one that is two less things to carry. Its a convenience thing, plus I think again users see what iphone users get to do and what to do that too.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I don't think Apple doesn't want us to have it, since they gave a camera to the Nano. I do believe that with all the early hype they might have chosen to punish us or prolong it's release and just add a mic instead.
The mic and the nano camera seems to be a hint for a camera for the ipod touch though.
I also think they are prolonging it because what are two things that the iphone has that ipod touch doesn't? A phone plan and a camera (in the basic sense of things) so if they add a camera it could possibly lessen their iphone sales.
Also why is it wanted? It's always nice to carry less things, so if there is an ipod/camera/video all in one that is two less things to carry. Its a convenience thing, plus I think again users see what iphone users get to do and what to do that too.

If I'm not mistaken, I've heard many times now that the iPod Touch isn't thick enough for a still camera. It would be nothing more than what the nano is, just video. Which then would probably lead to fewer sales because people want an actual still camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.