Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cannedkoala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Hey,

I have a few albums that have the occasional featured artist and those songs are separated out in my iPhone iPod list when sorting artists. For example:

-Ben Folds
-Ben Folds feat. Regina Spektor

It's a problem because when I choose:

Ben Folds -> Way To Normal (album) -> shuffle songs

It won't include the song with Regina Spektor despite it being part of that album.

I could change the artist tag to just Ben Folds, but I'd prefer if that information could still be kept where it is and just integrate that song into the rest of the Ben Folds list.

I tried the 'Artist Sort' tag thinking it would treat them the same but it didn't.

I could sort by album but I like to pick an artist and then choose from one of their albums.

Any other ideas?

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
i'm not positive, but...you might want to try 'Album Artist'...select all the songs in the album and change the album artist to ben folds. give it a shot and tell me how it goes.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Exactly! iTunes automatically wants to sort by Album Artist, but if that tag isn't filled out, it sorts by the normal Artist tag. Just fill in all the "ALBUM ARTIST" tags so they all have the same artist, and it will sort together, and you will still be able to search the normal artist tags to see those "feat" tracks show up under the "so and so feat so and so" like they do now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.