PDA

View Full Version : Wrong screwdriver for installing RAM?

Nutella
Jul 16, 2004, 06:03 PM
Hi, I have a brand new Powerbook 12" and the manual says I need a phillips 00 screwdriver. So I went to Sears and bought this: (I hope the link works, but if not it is item #00941526000)
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00941526000
But when I tried to turn the screws it didn't work, it seems at though the pointy part of the screwdriver is too pointy, and it doesn't "catch" on the screws. Help please! THANKS!!

superbovine
Jul 16, 2004, 07:52 PM
i have a set from www.wihatools.com

i bought them at frys.

Nutella
Jul 16, 2004, 08:14 PM
i have a set from www.wihatools.com

i bought them at frys.

Do you know which one of your set fits the screws on the back of the powerbook 1.33 12"? Possibly the phillips 0 and not the 00? Thanks!! :)

TDM21
Jul 16, 2004, 08:19 PM
If you have a Philips screwdriver that is used for eye glasses then use it. That's what I did and it fit perfectly. Although I had to use a small pair of plyers to get a good grip so the screws would break loose. Those things a really torqued down.

superbovine
Jul 16, 2004, 10:39 PM
Do you know which one of your set fits the screws on the back of the powerbook 1.33 12"? Possibly the phillips 0 and not the 00? Thanks!! :)

mine set has the 000PH and 00PH on the same piece. anyways the 00PH works

Nutella
Jul 17, 2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the responses...

Success finally!!!

After returning the phillips 00 to Sears, the people at the Apple store told me to get a simple eyeglass repair screwdriver from Walgreens. Well, this didn't work either.

Luckily I decided to go to my friendly neighborhood Ace Hardware store, powerbook in hand. They found the solution! Jewelers' Screwdrivers, made by General, the product number is S605. It comes in a yellow and black package and contains 5 different blades with a small metal handle: 4 tiny flat blades, and the one that fits the powerbook, I think it's called a #0 crosspoint. Costs approx $7.00.

RAM installed, I'm finally happy again! What stress over stupid little screws! At least I can laugh about it now!

:)