Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I noticed a few other people posting their websites for feedback, so I figured I'd do the same. I just put this site online today, and its nothing real fancy. I don't know anything about HTML code or Flash etc, but it gets the job done. So far all I have on it is my portfolio and wedding info (I am getting into local wedding videography, mainly just people I know from my church).

So anyway, take a look and let me know what you think!
www.wright2dvd.com

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
thanks for the link

the problem is, i dont know how to enter actual text into an html file and make it look right. every time I import a sliced photoshop file into dreamweaver and attempt to add text to one of the slices, it pushes all the images around the text out of place. there must be something that I'm doing wrong... any ideas?

I have gotten pretty familar with design apps (PS, InDesign, Illustrator, etc) but Web design has always confused me. I doubt that I am patient enough to learn html code, so I tend to resort to making sites that are images-only.

Is there any better way to go about assembling a web page?

one last thing: how exactly does the fact that it is image-only make it not "accessible"? I understand that it is not as nice as regular text, but I have tested this site on many different computer with many different monitor resolutions, and it looked fine on every one.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
Low vision and blind computer users are able to use their computers with the help of screen readers (like VoiceOver will do in Tiger). These programs will read any standards compliant website or menus in programs on your computer for that matter.

The use of xhtml and css have made this much easier, you can now have one html file that contains the content, and a css file that determines exactly how the site will look. Accessify has some great resources that will describe this more in depth.

It's definitely more work, but the end result is something that anyone can access.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
cwright said:
thanks for the link

the problem is, i dont know how to enter actual text into an html file and make it look right. every time I import a sliced photoshop file into dreamweaver and attempt to add text to one of the slices, it pushes all the images around the text out of place. there must be something that I'm doing wrong... any ideas?

I have gotten pretty familar with design apps (PS, InDesign, Illustrator, etc) but Web design has always confused me. I doubt that I am patient enough to learn html code, so I tend to resort to making sites that are images-only.

Is there any better way to go about assembling a web page?

one last thing: how exactly does the fact that it is image-only make it not "accessible"? I understand that it is not as nice as regular text, but I have tested this site on many different computer with many different monitor resolutions, and it looked fine on every one.
Keep in mind that you might get visitors using browsers that don't support images (such as Lynx) or with image loading turned off (for speed reasons). Anyone looking at your site under those circumstances will get nothing from it, and will think you have a useless site.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
thats another good link, thanks!
I'll read through it and see if I cant make another revision to my site using html code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.