Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmt345

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
This only happens when I choose to boot into windows. The screen sort of hangs for about 20 seconds in a black screen with an underscore at the top left corner before even starting to boot into windows. I know its normal for this to happen for like 5 seconds tops, but this is happening for about 20 seconds and its dreadful trying to boot into Windows 7 because it takes so long. When windows is done starting up i don't even get any messages saying startup failed or something like that. This is so annoying that I even reinstalled everything but the same thing happened.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
Thanks for the link but this is related to installing windows

Mine is doing it after the install not just during the first install

It does it every reboot or about 7/10 reboots into windows 7

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Thanks for the link but this is related to installing windows

Mine is doing it after the install not just during the first install

It does it every reboot or about 7/10 reboots into windows 7

IIRC many of the solutions to this have to do with hardware. Removing USB devices and/or RAM. I've never run into it myself, so I can't really help beyond that.

B

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Make sure you installed the most recent Boot Camp drivers (3.1 or whatever's the latest); it's probably a good idea to uninstall all the drivers and start again on 3.1.

Similarly, if you use MacDrive be sure you're on the absolute latest. Point releases have had bizarre compatibility snafus. And install that AFTER Boot Camp.

This is for sure either a driver or a partition issue, as that's what Windows is loading when you see the blinking cursor. If the above doesn't apply to you, there are hot keys you can use while booting windows to force it into a "verbose" mode. You don't need to know exactly what each line that scrolls past is doing...just write down the ones it pauses at (quickly now) and google them.

Finally, if you have a piraX0Red version of W7, that freeze may be where "Windows Loader" is mailing your IP to the NSA.

AshMan

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
I believe this only happens on pirated copies with activation cracks installed.

If you have original retail copy should not do it.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I believe this only happens on pirated copies with activation cracks installed.

If you have original retail copy should not do it.

That's not true at all. I had the Windows 7 RC for more than a year, but I getting sick of it restarting every hour or two so I decided to go back to XP. If you read, the majority of people are having this issue with retail versions.

Spent days trying to fix the flashing curser, nothing worked. So I downloaded Windows 7 and got the same error. So then I pirated XP SP3, same error. Just today I reformatted my entire computer (the mac partition too), tried with my XP disk again, same error.

It's hopeless. I'd buy Windows 7 if I knew it would work, but it probably wont.

EDIT: I'm certain it has nothing to do with the CDs. It's all the fault of the Mac and Apple. I've burnt 6 versions of Windows (XP, Vista and 7). And none work on the Macbook, meanwhile all work on the iMac. Something is wrong with my Macbook (not sure what) and is preventing it from working.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Did you read the thread I linked above? It suggests that for many folks one of three things makes a difference.

1) Zapping the PRAM
2) Removing any/all unnecessary cables (USB/ethernet/...) from the system during boot
3) Removing some of the RAM (temporarily)

Have you tried any or all of those approaches.

B

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
I do not have a pirate copy of windows 7 and mine still does it.

It works 50/50 using the PRAM zapping and sometime unplugging the power cable to the mac and pressing the power button for 5 seconds. Then reconnect the power and try again

When I press and hold the ALT key to select which OS I want to boot, I get the Windows & OSX icon's, sometimes I select windows and it just sits there doing nothing.

Mine MBP never had this problem, only seems to be my 2010 iMac

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Try reseating the RAM and try running it with a partial load of RAM. Even in standard desktop PCs this can be an issue.

B

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have this odd problem too. For me it's definitely hardware-related, because I can hear all the external drives spinning up while it does this. Windows must be doing something hardware-related at that point... but I have no idea what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.