PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express - Wired Audio?

Gizmotoy
Jul 16, 2004, 10:22 PM
Okay, so I just received my Airport Express today. I've been playing with it, and it works well. I especially like the red light from the audio/optical port when nothing is plugged in. Nice touch. Anyway, I'm having a problem I never figured would be a problem... When the Express is used to create a wireless network, or connect to one, I can stream music to it just fine from my Airport-enabled PowerBook. But if I try to stream music to it from the wired connection, it no longer works.

For example, I have the unit creating a network... the Express is plugged into a wired d-link router I have via the LAN port. I have another computer connected to the d-link router via one of its other LAN ports. The PowerBook connects to the Express wirelessly. The PowerBook can play music to the Express, but the other computer, connected via a wired connection, cannot. This is a problem because all my music is on the wired computer, and I don't really intend on buying a wireless card for it as that computer really needs the speed of the wired connection.

I'm kinda hosed, aren't I? I figured since the iTunes likely utilized Rendevous to find external speakers it wouldn't matter if it found them over a wired connection or a wireless one. Has anyone tried this?