PDA

View Full Version : GWU Students Will Get Free Tunes This Fall

MacBytes
Jul 17, 2004, 12:36 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: GWU Students Will Get Free Tunes This Fall (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040717013623)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

stoid
Jul 17, 2004, 12:42 AM
Bets that the 'anonymous donor' is the Roxio CEO trying to keep this poor cat on life-support.

Bob Knob
Jul 17, 2004, 01:02 AM
Bets that the 'anonymous donor' is the Roxio CEO trying to keep this poor cat on life-support.

Or Uncle Bill...

winmacguy
Jul 17, 2004, 01:03 AM
Wonder how many of those students own iPods ...

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 17, 2004, 06:01 AM
Maybe Apple should look into streaming audio for the campus crowd. They could even have a one click buy. Sort of like the "radio stations" they offer, but tied to the Apple iTMS catalog.

xtbfx
Jul 17, 2004, 08:50 AM
I for one would not pay to stream music. There's no point in paying unless you will own the song.

macridah
Jul 17, 2004, 09:21 AM
roxio is desperately trying to keep their heads above water. It's too late. Having napster available at college campus is no incentive to choice that college. If you go to a college dorm, then looked for shared music on your iTunes ... you'll be surprised. Must people share their music all day long, and the college network is crazy fast.

Einherjar
Jul 17, 2004, 11:05 AM
Apple finally came up with a basic plan in March to counter this.

At the University of Rochester, we have a similar setup--with an anonymous donor bidding. I'd really like to find out more about this person or group... :-D

Anyway, I was on the pro iTMS team at UofR and when our rep and officials contacted Apple, they basically told us "go away".

Napster really sucks, though. People basically don't use it, at least at UofR. A substantial number of people remained using iTunes even after the Napster deal went live on campus--basically anyone who used it before, along with a few new converts.