PDA

View Full Version : Know a good VPN service?

jtaylor1
Oct 12, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hey Folks, I live in Canada and would like a good VPN service with unlimited speed/thruput and no blocks, anyone know of one inn the USA? Thx.

Consultant
Oct 12, 2009, 04:09 PM
VPN is virtual private NETWORK.

Maybe you are thinking of VPS?

belvdr
Oct 13, 2009, 05:28 AM
VPN is virtual private NETWORK.

Maybe you are thinking of VPS?

No, you can use VPN to do things besides access the internal side of a network.

seattle
Oct 13, 2009, 05:33 AM
Here is one I have heard good things about. (I have not used it though)

http://www.witopia.net/welcome.php

jtaylor1
Oct 24, 2009, 12:18 PM
VPS is another name I guess. I am not too technical. Thanks for the suggestion. Cheers.

greenappile
Sep 14, 2010, 04:28 PM
I have been using Road Warrior VPN.com for a while now.

They have nice fast service, and they have VPN servers in the USA.

Actually jtaylor1 a VPS is not the same as a VPN. While VPN stands for Virtual Private Network VPS stands for Virtual Private Server. They accomplish different goals.

jtaylor1 I saw that Road Warrior VPN advertises that they will do the install for you for a fee, since you are not "too technical" that might work for you.

steve2112
Sep 14, 2010, 06:07 PM
Check out HotSpot (http://www.hotspotvpn.com/) VPN service. It is a paid service, but many reviewers rate it as the best service around. There is a similar sounding service called Hotspot Shield that is free, but I think it is from a different company.

flaim
Oct 24, 2010, 10:07 AM
Hey Folks, I live in Canada and would like a good VPN service with unlimited speed/thruput and no blocks, anyone know of one inn the USA? Thx.

I started using VPN4ALL about a month ago. The soft is so great! It's very easy to use and it allows to connect to one of 20 (and expanding) servers in one click. There also are some built-in additional services (anti-virus, anti-spam protection, working automatically). The software may run with Windows startup. You can try the fully-functional (but only limited in time of 1 hour) trial version for free: www.vpn4all.com/trial.;)

yg17
Oct 24, 2010, 10:14 AM
VPS is another name I guess. I am not too technical. Thanks for the suggestion. Cheers.

VPS and VPN are two entirely different things...what are you trying to do?

sim667
Mar 17, 2011, 10:12 AM
er..... what are you trying to achieve caller?

Anonymity whilst browsing/downloading? Or a secure access point for when you're using public wifi?

belvdr
Mar 17, 2011, 11:59 AM
er..... what are you trying to achieve caller?

Anonymity whilst browsing/downloading? Or a secure access point for when you're using public wifi?

This thread is around 1.5 years old. I think he likely gave up or moved on.

sim667
Mar 21, 2011, 10:06 AM
This thread is around 1.5 years old. I think he likely gave up or moved on.

ooops :(

Silencio
Mar 21, 2011, 10:37 AM
My ISP, Sonic.net, offers a VPN service as part of their standard home ADSL/ADSL2+ packages. Very handy when I'm on the road and don't trust the WiFi network I'm on. My wife uses it all the time at work, as well.

sim667
Mar 22, 2011, 07:05 AM
My ISP, Sonic.net, offers a VPN service as part of their standard home ADSL/ADSL2+ packages. Very handy when I'm on the road and don't trust the WiFi network I'm on. My wife uses it all the time at work, as well.

You can just set one up on your own router anyway.

belvdr
Mar 22, 2011, 07:29 AM
My wife uses it all the time at work, as well.

Seems weird.

You can just set one up on your own router anyway.

Only issue with that is that you are now restricted to your download/upload speeds because you are traversing your personal link.

sim667
May 23, 2011, 04:21 AM
Seems weird.

Only issue with that is that you are now restricted to your download/upload speeds because you are traversing your personal link.

I've got 30 mb/s connection. Its not really an issue for me.