PDA

View Full Version : 'MapQuest Navigator' Free Trial No Longer Offered

MacRumors
Oct 12, 2009, 02:19 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/12/mapquest-navigator-free-trial-no-longer-offered/)

Late last week, MapQuest launched (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/08/mapquest-releases-subscription-based-turn-by-turn-navigation-app/) MapQuest Navigator, its subscription-based GPS navigation application for the iPhone, offering the application for a nominal $0.99 with a free two-week trial to be extended by monthly, quarterly or yearly subscription price packages.

In a blog update (http://blog.mapquest.com/2009/10/12/mapquest-navigator-for-iphone-pricing-update/) today, MapQuest notes that the free trial policy ran afoul of App Store restrictions and that it has had to adjust its initial pricing model for the application. The application is now priced at $3.99 [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=319879317&mt=8)] and includes one month of service.Some of you may have noticed that when we initially launched MapQuest Navigator for iPhone, we offered a $.99 price for a 14-day trial. Unfortunately, due to App Store restrictions, we are now unable to support this offer. The application is now initially available for one month at $3.99.Beyond the first month, subscription pricing remains as before: one month for $3.99, three months for $9.99, or one year for $29.99.

Article Link: 'MapQuest Navigator' Free Trial No Longer Offered (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/12/mapquest-navigator-free-trial-no-longer-offered/)

kwyn
Oct 12, 2009, 02:21 PM
What app store restrictions?

Drumjim85
Oct 12, 2009, 02:38 PM
free apps must remain free. There are only in app purchases in paid apps.

iVoid
Oct 12, 2009, 02:48 PM

But they were selling it for 99 cents, not for free.

XciteMe
Oct 12, 2009, 02:51 PM

Uhh, it wasn't free. :rolleyes:

bozzykid
Oct 12, 2009, 03:13 PM
I thought MotionX did the same thing though? Perhaps the wording of a "free trial" was wrong, but I don't see what the difference is now. Now, you get 30 days for the purchase price instead of 14 but the cost is more. I really wonder why Apple would have a problem with what they did before.

bretm
Oct 12, 2009, 03:45 PM
Makes sense. It wasn't a free trial, but you got better pricing than when you paid for it. Under Apple restrictions you must have 2 products with different pricing. A lite or limited product, and a full product. They were selling the full product for a reduced rate. 99 cents for 14 days instead of 3.99 for 30 days.

IOW they should've had a product that ALWAYS only works for an hour at a time, or in a certain zip code, etc. A less featured version in some way.

MotionX sells it for 2.99 and you get one month of voice for free. Then afterwards, it's another month of voice for 2.99. There is no price discrepancy. It is always 2.99 for the complete product for one month. It appears that you're getting some bonus, but you're not. If you were to delete the app and buy it again, you wouldn't be saving any money. You'd spend 2.99 AGAIN for a month of free service.

With MapQuest, you could potentially buy it every 14 days for 99 cents. That'd be half price. Either Apple doesn't want to have to deal with the tracking, or they don't want to deal with those that find a way to circumvent the tracking, at which point MapQuest would complain to Apple that people are redownloading, etc.

I have to assume that's why Apple has it's rules. They don't want to have to deal with the companies and programmers that are complaining that people are able to download the free (or discounted) trials multiple times. Makes perfect sense to me.

MotionX GPS drive is extremely superior to the Mapquest thing anyway. Neither seem to give me enough notification today on the highway though. And no, I wasn't speeding. Perhaps it was because I didn't have it on my dash, but in the passenger seat? Perhaps. I'm going to get a vent mount and we'll see how it does.

I'm starting to think CoPilot is the best deal. One time $35 fee. Whereas these other two are costing $25-35 a year for a lot less features and 3D maps that aren't very 3D. But, it you only want to pay when you need it, then MotionX is where it's at. For example if you go months without need for a GPS, then you can just pay the $3 when you need it.

Angelo921
Oct 12, 2009, 03:49 PM
Makes sense. It wasn't a free trial, but you got better pricing than when you paid for it. Under Apple restrictions you must have 2 products with different pricing. A lite or limited product, and a full product. They were selling the full product for a reduced rate. 99 cents for 14 days instead of 3.99 for 30 days.

IOW they should've had a product that ALWAYS only works for an hour at a time, or in a certain zip code, etc. A less featured version in some way.

MotionX sells it for 2.99 and you get one month of voice for free. Then afterwards, it's another month of voice for 2.99. There is no price discrepancy. It is always 2.99 for the complete product for one month. It appears that you're getting some bonus, but you're not. If you were to delete the app and buy it again, you wouldn't be saving any money. You'd spend 2.99 AGAIN for a month of free service.

With MapQuest, you could potentially buy it every 14 days for 99 cents. That'd be half price. Either Apple doesn't want to have to deal with the tracking, or they don't want to deal with those that find a way to circumvent the tracking, at which point MapQuest would complain to Apple that people are redownloading, etc.

I have to assume that's why Apple has it's rules. They don't want to have to deal with the companies and programmers that are complaining that people are able to download the free (or discounted) trials multiple times. Makes perfect sense to me.

MotionX GPS drive is extremely superior to the Mapquest thing anyway. Neither seem to give me enough notification today on the highway though. And no, I wasn't speeding. Perhaps it was because I didn't have it on my dash, but in the passenger seat? Perhaps. I'm going to get a vent mount and we'll see how it does.

I'm starting to think CoPilot is the best deal. One time $35 fee. Whereas these other two are costing $25-35 a year for a lot less features and 3D maps that aren't very 3D. But, it you only want to pay when you need it, then MotionX is where it's at. For example if you go months without need for a GPS, then you can just pay the $3 when you need it.

Yeh but dont you have to pay extra to download the latest maps with CoPilot?

darwen
Oct 12, 2009, 03:58 PM
I suppose the app is actually free now since the purchase buys you just the cost of one month subscription. However, I feel it should have been allowed to remain at $.99 without a "free trial," rather one month included in the cost. I'm not sure, but I feel the developer agreement does not say anything against purchasers getting functionality in the app that costs money to continue using after a period of time. Technically that is what they are doing at $3.99, so why not do it at $.99?

Sorry if that did not make sense. I don't know how to express it clearer. Also, I'm not certain I have a point. :)

NinjaHERO
Oct 12, 2009, 05:04 PM
The price doesn't seem too bad though. Has anyone used this app? Is it good?

richmonddjs
Oct 12, 2009, 06:31 PM
I got it at the 99 cent rate. I've never tried other gps services but it seemed fine to me.

wvillers
Oct 12, 2009, 06:41 PM
The price doesn't seem too bad though. Has anyone used this app? Is it good?I wouldn't bother, it's a pretty miserable application if you ask me... I like G-Map much better (yes, it is ~$20, but it works very well).

iphones4evry1
Oct 12, 2009, 06:48 PM
If I understand Apple's policy correctly, a developer cannot have two different price levels for the same item on the same app. If they want to have a reduced service fee, they must create a light version of the app. This prevents different groups of people from complaining that they are being charged more than other groups of people.

Sonicjay
Oct 12, 2009, 09:40 PM
Sorry if that did not make sense. I don't know how to express it clearer. Also, I'm not certain I have a point. :)

LOL.. signature worthy right there

DipDog3
Oct 13, 2009, 07:28 AM
They just wanted to get rid of the $0.99 version and made up a reason to do so.

hNicolas
Oct 13, 2009, 08:05 AM
Yeh but dont you have to pay extra to download the latest maps with CoPilot?

CoPilot map updates are free. They are also claiming to process new map update requests within 45 days. I have submitted a request (2 weeks ago) I'll see if they update.

Angelo921
Oct 13, 2009, 08:22 AM
CoPilot map updates are free. They are also claiming to process new map update requests within 45 days. I have submitted a request (2 weeks ago) I'll see if they update.

Is the $34.99 for CoPilot a one time charge or annually?

hNicolas
Oct 13, 2009, 08:48 AM
Is the $34.99 for CoPilot a one time charge or annually?

It's a one time charge.

Angelo921
Oct 13, 2009, 08:55 AM
It's a one time charge.

then CoPilot is the best deal out there. $34.99 with free map updates. How can it go wrong... As long as it works well.

Does it include live traffic updates also?

hNicolas
Oct 13, 2009, 09:20 AM
then CoPilot is the best deal out there. $34.99 with free map updates. How can it go wrong... As long as it works well.

The app works quite well, other than some map update issues I hope are resolved soon I am very happy with CoPilot. The last update (a week ago) added voice street names etc., just as they previously promised.

Live traffic and weather is available with a subscription, I haven't looked into that because of all the free weather apps, and the default Maps app provides free traffic.

As far as i'm concerned, this is the best value, and maybe best overall app of its kind in the app store.

bozzykid
Oct 13, 2009, 09:46 AM

It doesn't seem like a sustainable business. I assume they aren't getting the map data for free.