PDA

View Full Version : Apple Universal encode won't play on iPod Touch

Shuttleworth
Oct 12, 2009, 03:37 PM
I encoded The Wire Season one using Handbrake 0.9.3. There was some noise pattern at the top of picture on all the DVD's so I set up a preset of Apple Universal +Decomb +a crop of 6 on the top. All these played perfectly on my iPod Touch.

I updated Handbrake to svn2845 x86_64 before setting about doing Season 2. On playing the DVD I noticed it didn't have the noise at the top of the picture so I left it as just Apple Universal + Decomb. These encodes won't load onto my iPod, iTunes says 'The video format is not supported by iPod"

I then tried again, adding a crop of 6 to the top of the picture. This time the show transferred to the iPod fine, and played perfectly.

The only difference I can see is the resolution changes, for the standard universal version it is 720x592, for the cropped version it is 720x576 (same as the source)

Is this caused by the version of handbrake I'm using, is it just "one of those things" or am I doing something wrong? Glad I found out before I'd done too many episodes!

Details of the encodes below, top one is the one that won't play.

Thanks for your help!

Shuttleworth
Oct 18, 2009, 01:30 PM
Can anyone help with this? Any ideas why the encodes done using Apple Universal won't play on my Ipod Touch? Is it just the resolution? If so then Universal isn't quite an accurate name for the preset is it?