Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Hi all,

I'm about to convert my collection of .avi videos that I've filmed with my Canon digital camera to .mov, via Quicktime Pro.

Is there any loss or degradation of the converted files associated with using Quicktime Pro for this purpose?

Thanks!

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Converting video there will always be quality loss. (Unless you're using a lossless codec which is overkill for most things.)

What I would like to know is what the end result you want it to be since Quicktime can already play AVI files quite well..?

matei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Hi - I was trying to get them all imported into iTunes, as just dropping them in didn't have any effect.

Right after I posted this I read that I can create a sort of wrapper for the .avi file that will allow it to play in iTunes, instead of creating a brand new .mov formatted file. Does that sound right?

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Yes, if you simply save the AVI from Quicktime (Pro) it will create a new file with the same size and quality of the original AVI.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It depends on what the underlying format (aka codec) being used is.

Many digital still cameras record video in "Motion JPEG" (or M-JPEG) with "PCM" audio. This means they are just recording a series of JPEG pictures (as that's what still cameras like to create,) and calling it a movie; and throwing in uncompressed audio. (Think CD Audio, only at generally lower quality.)

AVI and MOV are just 'containers' (as you figured out,) both of which can hold M-JPEG with PCM. So converting from one to the other should be simple in QTPro. Just export M-JPEG with PCM, and you should be good. QTPro should keep the actual data in its native format without losing any quality, only changing the container.

Heck, some digital cams use so little of the 'container' information that just renaming the file from .avi to .mov will make QuickTime use it just fine.

matei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Thanks for the helpful replies. I'll give the renaming trick a try as well, it couldn't hurt.

The cameras in question were Canon Digital IXUS (or Elph in the US), and a Sony minicam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.