PDA

View Full Version : App developer raises price of iPhone app to $39.99 to teach ...

Schiau Studios
Oct 12, 2009, 02:05 AM
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/10/apple-iphone-game-developer-protests-by-raising-price-from-2-99-to-39-99/
http://toucharcade.com/2009/10/10/a-few-more-weekend-freebies-but-an-alchemize-price-increase/
http://www.cultofmac.com/app-store-dev-sick-of-whining-morons-raises-game-price-to-forty-bucks/18284
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/10/app_developer_raises_price_in_protest.html

and more others...

We do not encourage people buying Alchemize™ at this high price of $39.99.

This price was set due to the fact that every developer who gets complains about price they tend to go only in one direction. And that is down with the price.
We wanted to get everybody's attention and therefor we did the opposite this time.

We apologize to all real customers for the inconvenient created and thank everybody that already bought and enjoys Alchemize and supported us into this protest. We hope you will stick with us and join our charity campaign starting Monday Oct. 12th, 2009.

Starting Monday Oct. 12th, 2009 we will give away 33% (from the original price tag of $2.99) of the sales to Ioana Costea, a 19year old girl who is asking for the chance to live (her blog for more details at http://bit.ly/Jonvn), as part of our charity program.
NOW, it is time to do something that really matters!

JOIN US AND SAVE A LIFE WITH ALCHEMIZE™!

Feel free to support this campaign in any way you want.
You can find contact information on http://www.schiaustudios.com or Ioana's blog (http://bit.ly/Jonvn)

NOTE: To the persons who bought Alchemize™ at the protest price of $39.99, all the money above $2.99 will go to Ioana's Charity Fund. We thank you for your support in this protest.

Thank you all for supporting us.

RiceRacerDX
Oct 12, 2009, 03:27 AM
Pointless. Enjoy your 15 minutes.

SpaceKitty
Oct 12, 2009, 04:25 AM
Developers have the right to change their price even if it is allot higher. Get over it and live your life.

strike1555
Oct 12, 2009, 08:22 AM
I just downloaded a pirated version of your (crappy) app for free from the internet. Protest fail.

TraceyS/FL
Oct 12, 2009, 08:27 AM
snip.

Pirates should be made to walk the plank.

Unspoken Demise
Oct 12, 2009, 08:27 AM
Wow, you really showed us. :rolleyes:
Congratulations on driving your app sales, and all future apps, into the ground.

GoCubsGo
Oct 12, 2009, 10:25 AM
This cracked me up: http://www.cultofmac.com/app-store-dev-sick-of-whining-morons-raises-game-price-to-forty-bucks/18284

normwood
Oct 12, 2009, 11:50 AM
Wow...some very mature responses to a issue that obviously the developer felt pretty strong about. Way to be supportive. Now go back to your 7th grade remedial algebra class and leave this thread to the adults.

Steve

Unspoken Demise
Oct 12, 2009, 11:53 AM
Wow...some very mature responses to a issue that obviously the developer felt pretty strong about. Way to be supportive. Now go back to your 7th grade remedial algebra class and leave this thread to the adults.

Steve

I cant do tha algebraz. Im still in Geometry. Can a smart adult like you show us how hiking your price to ask the consumer to stop "bitching" about high prices is an "adult" thing to do? Please oh please mister? I'll give you a nickel! Its all I have from my allowance.

TraceyS/FL
Oct 12, 2009, 12:15 PM
I cant do tha algebraz. Im still in Geometry.

You must fall under that "no child left behind" thing.... because you have to take Algebra 1 before you get to take Geometry. :rolleyes:

Unspoken Demise
Oct 12, 2009, 12:17 PM
You must fall under that "no child left behind" thing.... because you have to take Algebra 1 before you get to take Geometry. :rolleyes:

Oh, right. Haha its been a little while since 9th grade Geometry. I forgot I took Algebra 1 in Middle school.

strike1555
Oct 12, 2009, 12:32 PM

Steve

Why should we be supportive? We are the consumers and these guys actually have the audacity to act as if they don't need us.

Hi, im Schiau Studios. I don't know anything about basic economics but I know that if the market leans one way, i'll go the other way!

I saw on one of his links that he got 3400 emails asking for a price change in one month (yeah, right). But for arguments sake, imagine if this was true and the devs had responded with common sense. Say they reduce the price by $1 as a promotion. Not only would it have gotten many of those potential purchases, it always adds to their reputation that the devs listen to their customers. The profit would have offset the 'loss' by a huge margin.

Instead, these buffoons raised the price and not only lost all those potential customers, but likely many more instead (me, for one). And then they throw in a charitable donation as a way to further make themselves look like the good guys.

How incredibly ironic for them to call the consumers whiners.
This is Schiau Studios:

http://canuckjihad.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crybaby.png?w=300&h=425

I encourage everybody interested in this app to pirate it. Why not have a protest of your own?

EDIT: I do feel that I should mention that $3 is plenty reasonable for the app in question. My entire rant however is directed at the response of the developers.

TraceyS/FL
Oct 12, 2009, 12:45 PM
Why should we be supportive? We are the consumers and these guys actually have the audacity to act as if they don't need us.

I encourage everybody interested in this app to pirate it. Why not have a protest of your own?

So they have a right to price how they want.... and you are encouraging breaking the law?

Piracy is stealing. Period.

Find another free app that fits your needs, or vote with your wallet. But stealing isn't the answer, nor is encouraging it.

XciteMe
Oct 12, 2009, 01:29 PM

Steve

I'll take a remedial algebra class if you take a BUSINESS 101 class.

OK bud? LEARN HOW BUSINESS works in America. The businesses NEED the consumer. To live. To survive.

And a business does not gain customer loyalty and trust by jacking up the price of their product to a ridiculous amount, just because they felt we were complaining too much.

That's not how business relationships are formed. That's not how app developers become successful with a loyal following, like Gameloft or Chillingo, etc. etc.

Get off your damn high horse. :rolleyes:

Kahnyl
Oct 13, 2009, 02:56 AM
Did you build your car? Your house? Your PC? Did you develop the tech involved in running your PC? No? Oh, well thank goodness there are commercial entities there to do the work for you.

Businesses and consumers are co-dependant.

And "In America"? What's so unique about the American business model?

normwood
Oct 13, 2009, 06:03 AM
I'll take a remedial algebra class if you take a BUSINESS 101 class.

OK bud? LEARN HOW BUSINESS works in America. The businesses NEED the consumer. To live. To survive.

And a business does not gain customer loyalty and trust by jacking up the price of their product to a ridiculous amount, just because they felt we were complaining too much.

That's not how business relationships are formed. That's not how app developers become successful with a loyal following, like Gameloft or Chillingo, etc. etc.

Get off your damn high horse. :rolleyes:

The dev is trying to make a point which seems to be sailing over many people's heads hear. They probably went to an extreme to make that point, but they are trying to make a point.

They see the market for apps all dropping to that $.99 price point....or lower.... and don't think that is where it belongs. They are getting e-mail after e-mail from people telling them their $2.99 app is too expensive.

Here is my question for you:

Do you think that all apps should be $.99? Should Minigore or Realracing be the same price as some Fart app?

Most people equate price with value and worth. I personally think a cool app like Minigore or Realracing has more worth or value than a fart app or tip calculator # 476...but that of course is just my opinion.

Here is my real point. If a consumer doesn't like the price of an app or can't afford it, then don't buy it. Speak with your wallet. But, don't hammer devs with hate mail and crappy reviews.

P.S. I know a little about business.

Steve

MacBytes
Oct 13, 2009, 09:26 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: App developer raises price of iPhone app to $39.99 to teach complaining customers a lesson (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20091013102629)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Willis
Oct 13, 2009, 10:00 AM
I'm with the dev on that article. Charging $3 for an app is not expensive at all. $15 is where it gets pricey for me.

Good article either way you look at it

MasterDev
Oct 13, 2009, 10:05 AM
I'm with the Developer on this as well. 2.99 is super cheap for an app. Most video games or programs are from 9.99 and up.

rtcruz1
Oct 13, 2009, 10:34 AM
As a consumer, I'm totally with the developers... the prices are very reasonable...and considering the quality and depth of some of these apps, I think some of the prices are bit low...consumers need to stop complaining and expecting that everything needs to be free or inexpensive... this isn't Walmart!

jayducharme
Oct 13, 2009, 11:06 AM
Perhaps the App Store is finally reaching a point where more expensive apps can sell. When the iPhone first appeared, it was much more costly and also unproven. It also had no apps at all, just web pages that behaved like widgets. So in a sense, all apps were free after you paid the high price for the first generation iPhone. When Apple debuted of the App Store, it was a whole new mass market and, like the original iPhone itself, was unproven. So it made sense to have a low price point for most apps. That would attract customers to the store. I wonder how many people would have originally bought apps if they were all priced at, say, $19.99 or higher.

So maybe people have become used to cheap apps because 1) apps started off cheap or free, or 2) people feel they've already spent plenty on the device itself and feel entitled to more functionality.

That mindset might begin to shift now that the iPhone and Touch are dropping in price. In a similar way that a cheap printer makes you spend half your paycheck on ink, perhaps the mobile device will be the cheap vehicle to get you to spend more on pricier apps.

Wand'rer
Oct 13, 2009, 11:43 AM
As a consumer, I agree with the developers. Free apps are worth what you pay for them. If we hope to get high quality apps, we should expect to pay for them.

However, I also hope that developers are smart enough to realize that it is a small vocal group of people who complain about pricing. The developers would be smart to ignore these few and focus on those who speak with their wallet.

Give people what they want, and most are more than willing to pay for it. Likewise, there is of course a group that will never be happy, no matter what you give them, no matter how cheap the price.

aluren
Oct 13, 2009, 11:46 AM
Here is my question for you:

Do you think that all apps should be $.99? Should Minigore or Realracing be the same price as some Fart app?

Most people equate price with value and worth. I personally think a cool app like Minigore or Realracing has more worth or value than a fart app or tip calculator # 476...but that of course is just my opinion.

I agree that not all apps are worth the same, but in this low priced market, volume speaks for everything. I bet Minigore sells way more than a fart app. It sucks for the dev that they need to spend so much time to make a quality game that sells for $0.99, but if they think about the potential iPhone/iPod Touch owners, they can easily sell a couple hundred thousand copies.

And another thing, it's not wise to piss off your potential customers. If I was a dev and got 3,400 emails for a price drop, I would make sure that I lock them in because that's alot of sales that Alchemize just lost with this lame scheme. Bottomline, it's a dumb move.

Brien
Oct 13, 2009, 11:56 AM
His app sucks, but he has a point.

Honestly, I hate this race to the bottom. It's the Atari all over again, and if Apple doesn't do something soon, the crap is going to drown the App Store.

eawmp1
Oct 13, 2009, 12:07 PM
I have free apps, and I have paid for Navigon at $69. I think that in a capitlaist economy, you should charge what the market will bear.

To those whining about app prices - shut up and don't purchase the app.

To the developers - make good products, price them appropriately, provide support, and you will do well.

I do wish there was a way to "test drive" an app before purchase, either through a time-limited trial or a "free" limited app. The screen shots, verbal descriptions, and the reviews don't always give you an accurate feel for the app.

Small White Car
Oct 13, 2009, 12:14 PM
I saw on one of his links that he got 3400 emails asking for a price change in one month (yeah, right). But for arguments sake, imagine if this was true and the devs had responded with common sense. Say they reduce the price by $1 as a promotion. Not only would it have gotten many of those potential purchases, it always adds to their reputation that the devs listen to their customers. The profit would have offset the 'loss' by a huge margin.

See bold.

LOL
You actually think that would work?

People who complain about prices do NOT want to purchase anything. If they did, they would have simply bought a competing product already. That's what people who actually care about the price do.

That's how supply-and-demand works, but people who write letters complaining are not a part of that. Their opinion doesn't matter because they were not going to buy anything anyway. The people who bought another product instead of this one...they're the ones whose opinion matters. Not letter-writers.

All this stunt did is piss off people who would never have been customers anyway.

I fully support their fantastic idea.

Peace
Oct 13, 2009, 12:24 PM
Great PR move.:rolleyes:

thegoldenmackid
Oct 13, 2009, 12:31 PM
Developer posted here. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=801548)

sanPietro98
Oct 13, 2009, 12:58 PM
I think the "lesson" is rather impotent, but I completely agree with its sentiment. It takes a lot of work to develop these apps, and you can't expect devs to give them away. This is not a charity for most devs.

Analog Kid
Oct 13, 2009, 09:17 PM
Throw my vote in with those who see this as a juvenile publicity stunt. Whah, whah, whah-- I've been getting so many emails! Make them stop with the emails!

Look-- spite has never been a good marketing play...

Supply of substitutable goods goes up, price goes down. Price goes down, demand goes up. Demand goes up, price goes up. Ahhh... Equilibrium.

Conversely: demand goes up, price goes up. Price goes up, competitors enter market. More competition, lower price. Equilibrium.

This is how a market economy works. There is no argument about what something is worth-- it's worth whatever price maximizes profits.

Rather than complain about all the email and comments about what the app is worth, be happy you don't have to pay for that kind of market research. Drop the price and see how sales shift. Correlate that to email traffic. Get an idea of what the market will bear for your little bucket of magic bits.

When devs decide they can't make money selling junk apps for a buck, they'll exit the market. Supply contracts. I get *really* tired of playing the same stupid game waiting for the bus, and decide to kick down a whole $2 to ease my pain. Equilibrium.

See how that works? Isn't it cool? It's almost like a hand guiding the market, but it's invisible.

Analog Kid
Oct 13, 2009, 09:25 PM
LOL

People who complain about prices do NOT want to purchase anything. If they did, they would have simply bought a competing product already. That's what people who actually care about the price do.

That's how supply-and-demand works, but people who write letters complaining are not a part of that. Their opinion doesn't matter because they were not going to buy anything anyway. The people who bought another product instead of this one...they're the ones whose opinion matters. Not letter-writers.

All this stunt did is piss off people who would never have been customers anyway.

Are you suggesting there are hoards of people who spend their days writing email to people they don't know complaining about the price of products they don't want to buy? Furthermore, they aren't even interested in any cheaper alternative products of the same type, or at least stubbornly refuse to buy the alternative until the product they don't want lowers its price?

What would possibly motivate such people?

Stella
Oct 16, 2009, 07:34 AM
iPhone / Touch users are cheap if they think that $3 per app is expensive.

So what if there are high monthly costs for an iPhone? App prices should NOT reflect this, the developers are independent, and only use the AppStore to sell their apps ( since they don't have any other choice ).

My MacBook Pro cost a lot of money, so does that mean all Mac apps should be $10? No of course not.

These iPhone / Touch users should get a life and realize the world does not owe them anything.

The fact is: iPhone / Touch apps are already very cheap.

Analog Kid
Oct 16, 2009, 07:53 PM
iPhone / Touch users are cheap if they think that $3 per app is expensive.

So what if there are high monthly costs for an iPhone? App prices should NOT reflect this, the developers are independent, and only use the AppStore to sell their apps ( since they don't have any other choice ).

My MacBook Pro cost a lot of money, so does that mean all Mac apps should be $10? No of course not.

These iPhone / Touch users should get a life and realize the world does not owe them anything.

The fact is: iPhone / Touch apps are already very cheap.
For someone accusing iPhone users of being communists, you have a lot to learn about market economies...

iPhone devs should get a life and realize that regardless of how proud they might be of their achievement, it's not worth $3 to everyone else. Arguing that users are being unrealistic in expecting quality content for a buck is clearly off the mark given the existence proof.

I suspect that for most of these little games, the price at which profit is maximized is $0.99, and therefore that is the price entrepreneurs will choose. Actually, I suspect equilibrium right now is below $0.99, but Apple has put a hard limit at that price.

One might argue that it's unrealistic to expect quality content to remain at a buck into the future, but that's a question of expectation, not reality. If you're a dev who feels that market conditions are unfavorable for a sustainable business right now, then exit the market, seek your fortune writing apps for Android, or as a plumber, or whatever, and come back when you think the market conditions for iPhone have stabilized.

Luap
Oct 16, 2009, 09:17 PM
Pointless. Enjoy your 15 minutes.

Agreed :)

NT1440
Oct 16, 2009, 09:20 PM
I'd pay $39.99 if it could help save a life.....

strike1555
Oct 17, 2009, 06:00 PM
See bold.

LOL

Wrong. I would respond but Analog Kid already tore your argument to shreds. LOL

I'd pay $39.99 if it could help save a life.....

Then donate it directly to charity or something, not to this bunch of clowns.

sounixgli
Oct 18, 2009, 07:36 PM
Wrong. I would respond but Analog Kid already tore your argument to shreds. LOL

Then donate it directly to charity or something, not to this bunch of clowns.

Great, now people are botting for this title. Means my efforts of actually working for it were in vain.

btjseysj
Oct 20, 2009, 03:53 AM
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/10/apple-iphone-game-developer-protests-by-raising-price-from-2-99-to-39-99/
http://toucharcade.com/2009/10/10/a-few-more-weekend-freebies-but-an-alchemize-price-increase/
http://www.cultofmac.com/app-store-dev-sick-of-whining-morons-raises-game-price-to-forty-bucks/18284
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/10/app_developer_raises_price_in_protest.html

and more others...

We do not encourage people buying Alchemize™ at this high price of $39.99.

This price was set due to the fact that every developer who gets complains about price they tend to go only in one direction. And that is down with the price.
We wanted to get everybody's attention and therefor we did the opposite this time.

We apologize to all real customers for the inconvenient created and thank everybody that already bought and enjoys Alchemize and supported us into this protest. We hope you will stick with us and join our charity campaign starting Monday Oct. 12th, 2009.

Starting Monday Oct. 12th, 2009 we will give away 33% (from the original price tag of $2.99) of the sales to Ioana Costea, a 19year old girl who is asking for the chance to live (her blog for more details at http://bit.ly/Jonvn), as part of our charity program.
NOW, it is time to do something that really matters!

JOIN US AND SAVE A LIFE WITH ALCHEMIZE™!

Feel free to support this campaign in any way you want.
You can find contact information on http://www.schiaustudios.com or Ioana's blog (http://bit.ly/Jonvn)

NOTE: To the persons who bought Alchemize™ at the protest price of $39.99, all the money above $2.99 will go to Ioana's Charity Fund. We thank you for your support in this protest.

Thank you all for supporting us.

Honestly I admire the people who invented the computer.It really is a wonderful product of the human,.
I am trying to learn computer well.Can you show me some short ways to get the best effect !
Thanks alot !
Share me !

nick9191
Oct 20, 2009, 04:13 AM
Why do people bitch and whine about everything on the Internet?

If you can't afford the price of a product, you don't buy it, you don't whinge to the developer.

AlmostThere
Oct 21, 2009, 01:04 PM
For an interesting contrast, 2DBoy have made their World of Goo game (Mac version available) at a 'pay whatever you want' price.

They have made over $100k (and that's before the offer was extended) and engaged their customers and generated a hell of a lot of goodwill (read some of the comments left in their follow up survey).

http://2dboy.com/2009/10/19/birthday-sale-results/

FWIW, I paid the full $20 - it is a superb game, and this success offers a great insight into the complex issue of software pricing (or even pricing in general).

I will just never buy anything from Schiau Studios after this stunt, seeing the raw contempt they show for their customer base.

whiflucig
Oct 25, 2009, 08:04 PM
I accept:This price was set due to the fact that every developer who gets complains about price they tend to go only in one direction. And that is down with the price.