Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theironist08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
Bought this ipod around 2004. Used it consistantly for about 3 years, no problems. Then it wouldn't power on in 07. Then I bought an iPhone and haven't used it since.

However I WANT it again for the car as it holds 20Gigs, (well 18.5- the beauty of apple) I tried turning it on at the weekend and I got the unhappy face, which is generally bad news, or hardware issue, I'm lead to believe.

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/ipodsupport/ipodicons/ipod-sad3.jpg

I tried to open it to perform what seemed like a crazy idea: placing a folded business card on top of the blue sponge, as it loses pressure over time. Eventually I gave up, for my own sanity, as I could not open it!

However, I popped it into the wall charger and it worked, I was over the moon happy! I let it charge for a good 8-10 hours and when I took it out, it wouldn't work. I came to the conclusion that it was a battery issue. It only worked in the wall charger. It didn't even work when hooked upto my macbook.

It generally works fine, when in the charger, except for the odd time when I get this screen:

http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a9126300/ipod/ipod_err.jpg

Any ideas? If I buy a new battery should it fix all issues?

Thanks in advance :apple:

theironist08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
Forgot to mention: I never get the SAD FACE anymore. Only the file exclamation mark occasionally. I presume I must have done something when I tried to open it?

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Forgot to mention: I never get the SAD FACE anymore. Only the file exclamation mark occasionally. I presume I must have done something when I tried to open it?

Hmm, the Folder with the exclamation mark normally means a hard drive issue though.

And yeah iPods are a complete pain to open. You get there in the end though.

theironist08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
I reckon I'll just buy a new battery off ebay and see how it goes. any tips on opening that bad boy? Ive watched all the youtube vids and nothing worked, flat screw drived, guitar pic, knives, RIEN!??

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
My 5th gen was a bitch to open. I used a tiny flat head screwdriver. All you can really do is try and wear it down. Go at it for a while, leave it, go at it again until it finally loosens up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.