Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrderisory

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
I have a 15" powerbook G4 PPC. That is dying on me...

First I was getting terrible response time out of my computer, loading a website with a decent amount of content on it cause beachball of doom. That wont ever load forcing me to have to force quit safari.

I only had modest ram, so I bought a 1 gig stick. This helped miniscule at best, after 3 months or so I was getting beachball again.

I replaced my hardrive recently. Since then everything has gone from bad to worse!

My screen when ever I have a lot of white on the screen. Begins flickering like a strobe light.

Second my D key wont type with out a lot of force exerted to it.

Third I get the beachball of doom, from opening a text document! Youtube videos wont play without skipping frames and of course the beachball!!.

Fourth I'm not getting software updates, I check it periodically and It says there are no software updates even though this is not true.

My Powerbook turned 6 years old last month, but honestly I was expecting a little longer life span out of my first apple product. :(

How can fix these problems!!!!!!!!!!! If they are unable to fix, hopefully this piece of $h!t will last until they update the Macbooks in which case I will buy a new one.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
6 years is already an above average lifespan for any laptop. How long did you expect to use if for -- 20 years?

Time for a new computer. Paying for a repair is not worth it at this point.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I owned my 12" PowerBook for four years before replacing, but then had a BlackBook for 10 months, a MacBook Air for 4 months, a mini for 6 months and just bought a MacBook Pro yesterday.

Since the PowerBook I was searching for a replacement 'long term' laptop, I did like the Black MacBook, but realised it was about to be replaced by the first uMB, so sold it.

I then bought a Rev. B Air, which I wanted to be my only computer, but when the hinge started going I realised I needed to keep it in warranty... I had the hinge replaced and sold it on just before the Rev. C came out.

The mini suited me for a while I was working from home, but I secretly knew I would always be relegating it to HTPC, which I have now done. I was going to buy a MacBook, but when apple released the 15" base MacBook Pro with solely integrated graphics it seemed to be perfect. I bought one yesterday, swapped out the HDD for a 7200rpm one and, I hope, this will be 'the one' for at least three years :)

(I think the wife will leave me if it isn't...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.