Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pricklypear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Hello,
I just bought the upgrade to Snow Leopard today, and I wanted to reformat my computer before installing it (with the Snow Leopard disc). How would I do this? Thanks in advance.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Boot into the Snow Leopard DVD by holding down the “C” key at startup. Then, navigate to “Utilities” in the menu bar. After that, select “Disk Utility”. Then, select “Macintosh HD” or similar from the left sidebar, go to the “Erase” tab and follow instructions.

Then, install Snow Leopard using the installer after Disk Utility is finished.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
insert disk
go to sys prefs
select start up disk
choose snow leopard disk
restart
when machine boots from disc you get a basic window and menu at the top
select utilities - disk utility
choose erase for your volume
close disk utility
install snow leopard from basic window

oh, best you back up all of your data first - you'll obviously loose the lot

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Is there something wrong with your current installation of Leopard (or are you running Tiger)? I did a simple upgrade from 10.5.8 and have yet to have a single SL issue..

YMMV, but just saying...

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Make sure you back up everything on an external hard drive before you erase and re-install!

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Make sure you back up everything on an external hard drive before you erase and re-install!

More specifically; time machine back-up. So when you boot up for the first time, after the fresh install, you can import everything back they way it was and be on your marry way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.