Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
I have a 80 gig iPod classic running the 1.1.2 software and up until today it has run without a problem.
But today when I plugged it in it came up with the error saying:

Itunes cannot read the contents of the iPod “Josh's iPod”. Go to the Summary tab in ipod preferences and click restore to restore this ipod to factory settings.

So i did that and it all seemed fine, I copied my music back on and then plugged it into a friends computer to copy some of his music (originally it was mine) but then itunes froze so I force quit it. and then it started giving me that error again.

Now it keeps switching between that error, and not even mounting at all. If i try mount it with disk utility it says to repair the disk so i did that but that gives me this error: "Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

Any ideas? the ipod still works fine when not connected to a computer but only have a few gig of music now :(

BTW all computers used were running mac os x 10.6 and 10.5

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
Hmm . . .

I have a 80 gig iPod classic running the 1.1.2 software and up until today it has run without a problem.
But today when I plugged it in it came up with the error saying:

Itunes cannot read the contents of the iPod “Josh's iPod”. Go to the Summary tab in ipod preferences and click restore to restore this ipod to factory settings.

So i did that and it all seemed fine, I copied my music back on and then plugged it into a friends computer to copy some of his music (originally it was mine) but then itunes froze so I force quit it. and then it started giving me that error again.

Now it keeps switching between that error, and not even mounting at all. If i try mount it with disk utility it says to repair the disk so i did that but that gives me this error: "Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

Any ideas? the ipod still works fine when not connected to a computer but only have a few gig of music now :(

BTW all computers used were running mac os x 10.6 and 10.5

Do you have all your music files on your hard drive? If so, I'd do what
DiskUtility says: reformat the drive. Then reinstall all your music.

Were you doing anything special when this occurred?

I would also take a guess that maybe your iTunes library is corrupt. The
iLounge web site has "The Complete Guide to Rebuilding or Cleaning Your
iTunes Library" - I think you can use the .xml file to recreate the library, but
I'm not an expert.

Hope this helps . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.