PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 12" powerbook again

clyde2801
Oct 13, 2009, 06:15 PM
Was having withdrawal pains from my 12" powerbook dying. Found a 12" g4 powerbook on CL, 1.33 ghz, 256 mb ram, 60 gig hd and combo drive. Talked him down to $200...I'll be taking my techtool deluxe disk with me and driving to buy it in an hour or so. Will be putting a gig stick in it hopefully tomorrow for another $30 plus tax.

There's just something about the size and form factor of the 12" powerbook. It's not the latest or greatest, but it's just so freakin' handy to carry around the house on a lazy day, or to a coffee shop.

Wish me luck, and thanks.

Captain Planet
Oct 13, 2009, 06:44 PM
Good luck! :)

pesc
Oct 14, 2009, 02:17 AM
... It's not the latest or greatest...

If you want a portable Apple laptop with a matte screen, it is. :mad::mad::mad:

clyde2801
Oct 14, 2009, 04:35 AM
Went by, took the disc, everything checked out. Gave the kid $200, and it's mine. Charging up the battery, but I can't find a freakin' scratch on it. Wow.

Now to find decently priced ram. Does the 1.33's trackpad scroll, or do I have to do a hack for that?

maflynn
Oct 14, 2009, 06:02 AM
If you want a portable Apple laptop with a matte screen, it is. :mad::mad::mad:

Actually apple has 15" laptops with matte screens. Take a tour over at apple.com ;)

pesc
Oct 14, 2009, 09:12 AM
Actually apple has 15" laptops with matte screens. Take a tour over at apple.com ;)

They are far too large, heavy and clumsy for my backpack. My GF has one so I know. I think the 13" MBP is a tad too large but I could compromise...

I want my laptop to be truly portable. With a screen meant to be used when not at a desk in a controlled lighting environment. I guess I am very exotic...

Mr_Brightside_@
Oct 14, 2009, 09:55 AM
Does the 1.33's trackpad scroll, or do I have to do a hack for that?
I believe this only came with the 1.5 versions.
iScroll2 (http://iscroll2.sourceforge.net/) is a possibility though.
Nice Find :)
There's also Sidetrack (http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/).

maflynn
Oct 14, 2009, 10:45 AM
They are far too large, heavy and clumsy for my backpack. My GF has one so I know. I think the 13" MBP is a tad too large but I could compromise...
Perhaps but they are a portable computer and they do offer matte displays. I think 12" is too small but the 13" MBP is a nice very mobile computer. I also think the 15" is pretty mobile and have had no problems lugging that around.

iShater
Oct 14, 2009, 10:50 AM
Nice! I still have and use my 12" PB. It is a sweet little machine. :o

clyde2801
Oct 15, 2009, 06:29 AM
Got it up to 1.25 gigs of ram, and installed 10.5 from the 10.3 that was originally on it. Battery still has 95% of original capacity! :D I'm not wild about the long, skinny return key on that model, though.

Thanks for the advice on scrolling, I'll have to look at those two programs.

Now for a word processing program, and optimizing the machine for Leopard, and it looks like I'm ready to go.

This makes my aluminum macbook look like a colossus. Why can't apple stick a mac mini logicboard in this case?!?:(