PDA

View Full Version : Termination PB 540c?

vjamacaddict
Jul 17, 2004, 09:32 PM
I want to connect an external SCSI ZIP 100 drive to our PowerBook 540c. Someone has suggested that I need a special terminator between the computer and SCSI device? The ZIP drive has a termination switch on the back (on/off). Do I still need another termination besides the one on the ZIP drive, and exactly how would I connect it, and set it up?

Thanks.

-- vjamacaddict :confused:

Macky-Mac
Jul 17, 2004, 11:02 PM
is this a memory test ....or what?

it's been 4 years since I used scsi devices and it's a bit vague but here's what I remember....sorta

you need a terminator at the end of a scsi chain - but not between the computer and the device......if I recall the switch on the zip is a built-in terminator so you shouldn't need an additional terminator

as I recall terminators would be plugged into the empty scsi socket on the last device in the chain. You might have to adjust the scsi address for the drive if you have multiple devices chained up

vjamacaddict
Jul 17, 2004, 11:28 PM
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll just try to connect the ZIP drive when I receive the adaptor, without an additional terminator, and see if that works. Several people have said that I should not need a second termination.

-- vjamacaddict
:) :D

Mechcozmo
Jul 18, 2004, 12:57 AM
Apple has an outdated products page. Go there to see what you need. Just do a search for "Old products" in their support section.

Some interesting things there, like System Software downloads that are so cryptic no one wants them.

5300cs
Jul 18, 2004, 09:06 AM
That would be here (http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html) :cool:

macquariumguy
Jul 18, 2004, 07:14 PM
Ho-boy, I don't miss SCSI Voodoo. Try it without, it'll probably work. It may also need to have termination turned off on the external device. Whatever combo works, that's the right way.

csubear
Jul 18, 2004, 09:26 PM
Wow, some one else still has a 540c. I've got one sitting some where aroudn the house. It still works.

5300cs
Jul 19, 2004, 06:27 PM
I've got a 540c, too. (Mine's been bumped up to a PowerPC proc though.) I used the Apple CD 300 with it (single speed!) but never used a terminator as far as I know. Worked no problem.

csubear
Jul 19, 2004, 06:36 PM
Ya i had my wife get it out of storage after she told me about it. She said it was a japanese only powerbook, that was old. I though it was a rare 550c (japan only) it turned out to be a 540c, and i was sad. The 550c can run 68k free bsd, while the 540c lacks a floating point unit.

5300cs
Jul 19, 2004, 06:40 PM
...She said it was a japanese only powerbook...

Mine's Japanese, but the original owner changed the keyboard to English and popped in a PPC chip. I put 7.5.5 on it, and you'd never know it was a Japanese model.

csubear
Jul 19, 2004, 07:48 PM
Thats cool, i wish i could get a ppc chip for it (don't know if freeBSD supports is or not, it should, but then it would ppc-freeBSD, and who knows with that chip, and the chip set)

then i could get the ethernet adapter that goes with and be cool :)

5300cs
Jul 19, 2004, 07:55 PM
the twisted pair ethernet transceiver or something? I got one of those :)

There was a place selling old Mac equipment down in the electronics disrtict downtown and they sold it to me for $5 or something. Works like a charm, but OS 7.5 won't connect to Panther Server anymore :( (But what could I expect, really? :rolleyes: )