PDA

View Full Version : betting...

evoluzione
Jul 17, 2004, 09:56 PM
so i was bet last night that i couldn't drink one gallon of (whole) milk within one hour.

personally i think i can do it, but it seems from a couple of people's reactions that it's extremely difficult, and a whole bunch of my friends are now in on the bet too.

what do you guys think???? I drink loads of tea every day, and i can put away quite a few pints of guinness, and i like milk (the whole milk, proper stuff, none of that 2% semi-skimmed stuff :) )

also, let's hear of some of the bets you guys have made....

iJon
Jul 17, 2004, 10:34 PM
i would bet against you. it curdles in your stomach and it just becomes real damn gross. it can be done but it can be quite difficult, especially a gallon.

iJon

stoid
Jul 17, 2004, 10:55 PM
Classic college bet! Scientifically, your stomach cannot handle that much lactose. People that are lactose intolerant lack the ability to produce the special enzyme needed to break down lactose. Your body can only produce so much of it though regardless. You might be able to do it, but if not your body won't digest it and will try to get rid of it (probably in a nasty and unpleasant manner). Have fun!

Mr. Anderson
Jul 17, 2004, 11:23 PM
Classic college bet! Scientifically, your stomach cannot handle that much lactose. People that are lactose intolerant lack the ability to produce the special enzyme needed to break down lactose. Your body can only produce so much of it though regardless. You might be able to do it, but if not your body won't digest it and will try to get rid of it (probably in a nasty and unpleasant manner). Have fun!

that sounds like so much fun :D

Maybe drink a little lemonade before hand to get things started sooner....

I think if you're willing to handle to after effects and you're making something out of it it might be interesting. Good luck

D

question fear
Jul 17, 2004, 11:40 PM
thats insane.
i would strongly suggest practicing. when i played rugby in college, we used to party after games, esp this game called "boat racing" where ten people played, five on each team facing each other and chugging beer...you started whne the person to your left (or right) finished theirs. whichever row chugged fastest wins.
try that a few times, build up the chance to chug milk. fast. that way you can down the gallon quickly and in manageable chunks...
speaking of chunks, make sure theres no clause in the bet about holding it down for an hour. ;-)
-c

XnavxeMiyyep
Jul 17, 2004, 11:59 PM
I once drank half a gallon of milk in 10 minutes(would have drank more, but it was at school, and my friends made me stop). I felt sick the whole day, and ended up vomiting after 10th period. So, as long as your bet allows you to throw up and continue drinking, then you might be able to do it.

Mechcozmo
Jul 18, 2004, 01:33 AM
What school has a 10th period?

Durandal7
Jul 18, 2004, 02:34 AM
I had a Physics teacher who would make this bet with students, at least until the politically correct administration told him to stop. I never tried it myself but someone would try it almost every week and always ended up vomiting in the hallway trash can.

No one ever was able to hold it down. He said he would give whoever managed to keep it down an 'A' for the year in the class.

But, don't let us stop you evoluzione ;)

virividox
Jul 18, 2004, 06:09 AM
just dont wear any nice clothes in the evening and make sure no one you care to impress is watching :)

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 18, 2004, 06:54 AM
that sounds like so much fun :D

Maybe drink a little lemonade before hand to get things started sooner....

I think if you're willing to handle to after effects and you're making something out of it it might be interesting. Good luck

D

And don't forget the true Southwest Chili as an appetizer. :D

Neserk
Jul 18, 2004, 08:37 AM
You can probably do it, but if it cold-cold you'll probably end up with a huge tummy ache, you might anyhow ;)

question fear
Jul 18, 2004, 09:36 AM
What school has a 10th period?

well, its ot, but some high schools use split periods (im assuming this is what the poster meant). we had this in my high school, where lunch was a half hour, so you had period 1, period 2, period 3, period 4/5, period 6/7, period 8 lunch, period 9/10, period 11 and period 12.
lunches were staggered, hence the weird pairings of half periods. and so you could be assigned lunch period 4, 6, 8, or 10.

this was almost 6 yrs ago, so im a little fuzzy.

pseudobrit
Jul 18, 2004, 03:56 PM
And don't forget the true Southwest Chili as an appetizer. :D

I remember as a kid drinking about a gallon of whole milk once chasing some kind of hot potato chips.

If you could take an empty jug and fill it with soy milk you might have an easier time. Or don't eat for a few days and don't drink water for 12 hours before and it might go down easier.

It can be done. Just not by many.

sonofslim
Jul 18, 2004, 08:19 PM
it's a sucker bet. there's too much lactose in a gallon of milk for your body to process in a single hour; you simply cannot digest it in the given time span. water or beer will pass right through you, so it's not a problem; but that milk is just going to sit in your stomach. either you'll get so full you physically cannot drink more, or you're going to make a very long call to Ralph on the porcelain phone.

unless (and you didn't hear it from me) you go to the store beforehand, get a bunch of Lactaid tablets, and secretly eat them all right before your performance. if there's enough money on the line, would you mind playing dirty?

MongoTheGeek
Jul 19, 2004, 07:59 AM
My brother did it. He was the only member of his frat that could. (Theta Xi, a bunch of drinkers with an engineering problem) To warn you though he is 6'6" and somewhere north of 300 and he was sick as a dog later.

My son wants to give it a shot but he can't even eat a 2# hamburger.

It can be done but not by many.

Cuckoo
Jul 19, 2004, 08:33 AM
Somewhere on the net there is a jackass scene where they do exactly this, drinking a gallon of milk.... please see that first.
Maybe you'll get it in, maybe not, but for sure it isn't staying there, so if that's the bet, don't do it. If you don't mind reversing the drinking process then i'd say, go for it.

Either way,

Goodluck

Cuckoo

mouchoir
Jul 19, 2004, 08:37 AM
Thought it sounded easy but then looked it up – 1 gallon = 3.7854 litres.

That is insane!

You will be pissing out of both holes if you try this...

Good luck!

takao
Jul 19, 2004, 08:41 AM
Thought it sounded easy but then looked it up 1 gallon = 3.7854 litres.

That is insane!

You will be pissing out of both holes if you try this...

Good luck!

haha yeah i thought the same in the beginning but then i imagined drinking 4 liters of milk and thought "bad idea" hehe

mouchoir
Jul 19, 2004, 08:50 AM
haha yeah i thought the same in the beginning but then i imagined drinking 4 liters of milk and thought "bad idea" hehe

I'm glad we're metric over here if it means we are not subjected to bets like this!

maybe semi-skimmed but 'whole' milk. yuk...

tpjunkie
Jul 19, 2004, 02:41 PM
It is possible to do it. The trick is not to go too fast or two slow, because you can actually do it if you go at a steady pace (and quite a bit of discomfort near the end). Although come to think of it, the only time i've seen it successfully done was with skim milk. The messiest i've seen it attempted is with chocolate milk, which provided us with entertaining pictures we've been enjoying ever since.

WinterMute
Jul 19, 2004, 03:15 PM
Don't you watch "Jackass"? They had three contestants, one with normal milk, one with chocolate and one with strawberry, mind it all looked much the same colour once it started to come back up.

You are going to be sooooo sick. :D

My brother in law once ate the contents of an ashtray for a 50p bet, I hope there are some big numbers involved... :p

sonofslim
Jul 19, 2004, 03:33 PM
i googled "milk gallon bet" to see what i could find. if you're curious, there are about a million video clips of people vomiting forcefully and at length after taking this bet. (in this case, "people" means males between the ages of 14 and 28 -- why is it that i found no mention of women taking this bet?)

i'm telling you, the only way you're going to pass almost 4 liters of milk through your puny 1 liter stomach in one hour is to cheat like a dog. lactaid, lactaid, lactaid!

kgarner
Jul 19, 2004, 03:50 PM
I've seen 3 or 4 people take this bet. I only ever saw one person win. Good luck, but be ready to throw up.

WinterMute
Jul 19, 2004, 07:39 PM
i googled "milk gallon bet" to see what i could find. if you're curious, there are about a million video clips of people vomiting forcefully and at length after taking this bet. (in this case, "people" means males between the ages of 14 and 28 -- why is it that i found no mention of women taking this bet?)

i'm telling you, the only way you're going to pass almost 4 liters of milk through your puny 1 liter stomach in one hour is to cheat like a dog. lactaid, lactaid, lactaid!

One of the participants on Jackasses version of this was a girl.... She won. :D