PDA

View Full Version : IBM Power5 unleashed

MacBytes
Jul 17, 2004, 11:05 PM
Category: PowerPC
Link: IBM Power5 unleashed (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040718000556)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

yamabushi
Jul 18, 2004, 01:28 AM
Most of the other computers listed in the benchmarks are obsolete. What is that supposed to mean? POWER5 is more powerful than five year old computers? I should hope so. :confused:

DrGruv1
Jul 18, 2004, 11:27 AM
I see that IBM released their power5, it was said that it put it at the top of the speed charts.

http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040714-3993.html

They mentioned that it was dual core.

so...

1) How long did it take from the power4 to the 970? Will it be the same for the power5 to 980?

2) With the 2.5 g5 not really shipping in quantity, would they sit on the 980 for six months? Jan. 05 OR would they release ASAP. Obviously there are manufacturing decisions of how many g5's to make before the profit / return for investment is made.. then they could move on to the 980 (and or g6)

3) Would they wait, or jump as soon as possible?

Jan. 05 would be incredible - a quad (two dual core) 980 with Tiger?

WOW!

OR worst case IBM has manufacturing problems and it gets slipped back till next June 05

I did notice that the power5 was 130nm and not 90nm

(this is a cross post on here and gearslutz - thought some people here would no more about chips)

Sun Baked
Jul 18, 2004, 11:44 AM
1) How long did it take from the power4 to the 970? Will it be the same for the power5 to 980?

2) With the 2.5 g5 not really shipping in quantity, would they sit on the 980 for six months? Jan. 05 OR would they release ASAP. Obviously there are manufacturing decisions of how many g5's to make before the profit / return for investment is made.. then they could move on to the 980 (and or g6)

3) Would they wait, or jump as soon as possible?

Jan. 05 would be incredible - a quad (two dual core) 980 with Tiger?

WOW!Tiger already looks like it has support for the Power5-UL, at least support for SMT which is a new part of the chip.

It will probably be a single-core chip, but SMT make a single-core look like a 2 CPU (1 physical, 1 logical) package to the OS.

Available for announcemnt at MWSF or soon after.

Most likely same layout of DP machine that we today, except that the OS will see a Quad CPU machine -- and would be about 35-40% faster than the PPC970 at the same clock.

On a side note, the Power5 announcement said that the Elastic Bus 2 interface has support for a FSB over 2GHz. ;)

The chip will most likely be 90nm, and is about 20% bigger than the PP970 -- but alas it will be delayed as long as there continues to be 90nm yield problems.

---

AMD announced a PCI-X 2.0 HT Tunnel already, no PCI-e announcement yet -- so no telling what direction Apple will take on the expansion. :(

DrGruv1
Jul 18, 2004, 02:27 PM
Tiger already looks like it has support for the Power5-UL, at least support for SMT which is a new part of the chip.

It will probably be a single-core chip, but SMT make a single-core look like a 2 CPU (1 physical, 1 logical) package to the OS.

I really have no clue here...

Why would the 980 be single core when based on the power5 that has 2?

I also read that the power5 has 276 million-transistor chips... will the 980?

Sun Baked
Jul 18, 2004, 02:40 PM
I really have no clue here...

Why would the 980 be single core when based on the power5 that has 2?

I also read that the power5 has 276 million-transistor chips... will the 980?For the same reason the PPC970 (aka G5) is single core when the Power4 is dual core.

Size/Cost... Power Usage... Cooling... etc.