Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9 to 5 Mac reports that it has received a note from an AT&T spokesperson asking the site to remove a reference suggesting that the company would support Internet tethering via the iPhone by the end of 2009.
We believed it was coming later this year, until we got a note from an AT&T spokeman. He told us to correct a post that said AT&T will be delivering tethering in 2009. Specifically, he said (his font color, not ours):

"Just reading again - where did anyone promise tethering by EOY? Where did you see that? We promised MMS by end of summer and ended up being a few days late for that…"
The confusion seems to stem from a November 2008 interview with AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph de la Vega in which he claimed support for tethering on the iPhone was coming "soon". In re-reporting the conversation, CNET appears to have construed the comment as meaning some time in 2009, but AT&T is apparently now trying to temper any such expectations.

AT&T's comment comes just a week after the company reiterated its position that further network "fine tuning" is required before it can support tethering via the iPhone.

Article Link: AT&T Continues to Temper Expectations for iPhone Tethering in 2009

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
ATT: but don't worry, the second tethering in available to our subscribers, we'll post another poorly written video featuring that same guy from the MMS video shilling out horse crap about how difficult it was and how we weren't prepared and all the people complaining are just a bunch of meanies!

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Ohh AT&T, isn't it amazing what level of customer indifference you can get away with when you have no competition in the iPhone market? If we had multi-carrier support in this country, you can bet that we would be in a bragging war as to who can bring you these features first.

Not that I would necessarily change carriers if it were an open market (I've been with AT&T mobile for 10 years), but that sort of competition benefits all customers and inevitably the carriers as well.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I think AT&T should do some coarse tuning (like making it work, expanding coverage, etc.) to their network before they commit to any fine tuning.

Heinekev

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
I hate AT&T so much...

Agreed.

Until they officially support it, I'll be sticking with 3.0. I hate how useless AT&T is.

They can't handle the load from iphone users, yet they just agreed to subsidize Nokias netbook? We're ****ed.

daveinscotland

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
The US in the slow lane!!

HEHE

We have internet tethering in the UK right now. Its great. I posted this using it!

America - technology backwater!

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I think AT&T should do some coarse tuning (like making it work, expanding coverage, etc.) to their network before they commit to any fine tuning.

I agree- aren't they supposed to be introducing 4G in two or so years? And its going to take the better part of one year to "fine tune" their existing network? Something doesn't seem right here.

eh270

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Maybe I'm optimistic, but I have a feeling that even if tethering were made available free of charge to everyone who has an iPhone 3G or 3GS (and an unlimited data plan) without charge (seriously, who wants to tether over edge?), maybe 1 or 2% of people who have iPhones would even bother to use it. I'd be willing to bet that most people who have an iPhone already have access to broadband internet at home/work/school. Why would anyone choose to tether over 3G when they have that kind of access?

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
If you really want tethering....

...for your laptop, go get a free 3G Card from any wireless provider. I'm sure the monthly charges will be the same as tethering.

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
Is tethering something that the general population would use that much?

I don't think I would have much use for it ... laptop internet access in small communities (ie no wifi available?)

What is the market for it?

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
In NYC, AT&T doesn't even have the bandwidth to deal with basic voice.

As for MMS? Tethering?

</dreaming> :rolleyes:
Exactly -- as badly as I want tethering I want AT&T to FIX THEIR NYC NETWORK NOW!!!. The amount of bandwidth they have in Manhattan's financial district is a sick joke.

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
kind of curious if ATT has the end date of their exclusivity with apple circled...or if they've calculated the amount of revenue they're going to lose once that date comes.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Is tethering something that the general population would use that much?

I don't think I would have much use for it ... laptop internet access in small communities (ie no wifi available?)

What is the market for it?

If my train ride in to work wasn't so short, I would use it during my commute time.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Start

So let's start our own MacRumors funded wireless carrier. I'm really sick and tired of all these excuses and not actually doing anything. So what equipment does one actually need? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.