PDA

View Full Version : Trillian IM App in Approval Limbo

MacRumors
Oct 14, 2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/14/trillian-im-app-in-approval-limbo/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/10/14/162436-trillian.jpg

Cerulean Studios, the developer of the Trillian unified instant messaging and social networking application for multiple platforms, recently described the long wait for approval for its iPhone app in its blog (http://blog.ceruleanstudios.com/?p=757):

It's been 60 days since our initial and only submission to the App Store. Unlike many of the horror stories you may have read about, we haven't yet received a rejection notice and we're not frantically going back and forth with Apple fixing reported problems. Despite sending a steady stream of emails to Apple requesting status updates, we continue to receive generic form letters in response - frustrating, to say the least.

The Trillian iPhone app will manage multiple IM accounts and will feature push notifications and integration with the company's Astra Service for contact synchronization and more. Despite the lack of explicit communication from Apple, Cerulean Studios notes that it is still "ready and willing to work to work with Apple to ensure the software meets all necessary requirements."

Article Link: Trillian IM App in Approval Limbo (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/14/trillian-im-app-in-approval-limbo/)

MasterDev
Oct 14, 2009, 03:38 PM
I so hope this gets approved soon. I'm dying to get this.

I freaking love Trillian!

ouimetnick
Oct 14, 2009, 03:41 PM
Wow. Very sad to see a developer waiting 60 days for an app.

iJed
Oct 14, 2009, 04:39 PM
Apple really needs to fix this ridiculous approval process. This is a terrible way to treat developers; the very people that are making you all that money through the app store and through handset sales.

Applications should be available immediately after submission by the developer. Only if they are reportedly causing problems should they be removed.

Shame on you Apple.

Niiro13
Oct 14, 2009, 05:00 PM
One of my apps was more than four months before I sent an email to the generic developers email in which then they told me what was wrong (and then they decided to reject the binary).

I hope Trillian comes out. It's doing better than meebo though (which no news has been heard from them).

NT1440
Oct 14, 2009, 05:03 PM
Apple really needs to fix this ridiculous approval process. This is a terrible way to treat developers; the very people that are making you all that money through the app store and through handset sales.

Applications should be available immediately after submission by the developer. Only if they are reportedly causing problems should they be removed.

Shame on you Apple.

Lol underlined for terrible idea.

Anyway, this is a massive system with thousands of apps being submitted a week. There are bound to be apps that slip through the cracks.

jkr801
Oct 14, 2009, 05:10 PM
Remember that company called meebo that had a good app coming out for this kind of stuff?? whatever happened with that??

Eddyisgreat
Oct 14, 2009, 05:55 PM
Dear Att:

When this comes out, I will cancel my texting plan.

Thank you.

Eddy~

thedarkhalf
Oct 14, 2009, 06:01 PM

This is what I do for all software updates on our networks. Especially servers. I install it on everyones machine as soon as it comes out and if it causes problems, crashes, outages, etc... THEN I remove them. I mean why bother testing stuff out first?? Just a waste of time...

/sarcasm

Shasterball
Oct 14, 2009, 06:35 PM
I so hope this gets approved soon. I'm dying to get this.

I freaking love Trillian!

Yeah. I would really, really like to see this approved. :)

bbplayer5
Oct 14, 2009, 06:46 PM
Trillian is an amazing client... APPROVE IT!

VSMacOne
Oct 14, 2009, 07:34 PM
The one app i miss from my PC days is Trillian. Just too easy :)
SO let's get some noise on this thing, and maybe Apple will move a little faster!

nagromme
Oct 14, 2009, 09:18 PM
Mistakes will happen in a big system, and we only hear about those instances, not the thousands of submissions that go smoothly.

That disclaimer made... this situation, AFTER repeated attempts by the dev to get information, is completely ridiculous!

born4sky
Oct 14, 2009, 09:29 PM
Looking forward to buy this. For now it's better than beejved it has skype also.
Hope they will release trillian version for mac as well even though I like audium.

Good luck trillian!

truhypfra
Oct 14, 2009, 10:30 PM
Looking forward to buy this. For now it's better than beejved it has skype also.
Hope they will release trillian version for mac as well even though I like audium.

Good luck trillian!

Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.:cool:

Darkroom
Oct 14, 2009, 11:21 PM
it's been years since they first started working on a version for Mac OS X. while a web version is available and an iPhone version is ready for approval, i think it's safe to call a native mac version vaporware.

henhowc
Oct 14, 2009, 11:44 PM
Have they announced pricing?

iJed
Oct 15, 2009, 02:09 AM
This is what I do for all software updates on our networks. Especially servers. I install it on everyones machine as soon as it comes out and if it causes problems, crashes, outages, etc... THEN I remove them. I mean why bother testing stuff out first?? Just a waste of time...

/sarcasm

You obviously have absolutely no idea about professional software development.

At my current employer I have prototyped an iPhone client. We're a fairly large software house with products used internationally. What is holding up committing the resources to fully develop an iPhone application is the App Store approval process. We think that it will cost us approximately 50000 to get our application completed but there is no guarantee that Apple will allow it on the App Store. Do you think that I'm going to risk my job by recommending we go ahead with this?

I've also got my own (home developed) app awaiting approval at the moment. It's been 10 days and it still says the same thing: "Status: In Review." Great process isn't it?

johnnyjibbs
Oct 15, 2009, 03:31 AM
I hope all goes well for this developer. I understand that we only hear about the horror stories, but with thousands of apps being submitted each week, why the hell has Apple only invested in 40 people to review them??!!! :rolleyes:

There should be 500 people reviewing apps, it's not like Apple doesn't have the ca$h... :eek:

So far, I've had one app approved (although the first version was initially rejected), and one that went into limbo - the old 'unfortunately it will take longer than usual to approve' line. Ultimately, it was rejected twice and I've given up on it, even though in my second submission I removed the features that they told me the first time would stop it from getting approved. My next app is currently in approval - I just hope there are no issues there.

Please let's not defend this abysmal approval system. It's improved a lot since it first launched, don't get me wrong, but it sounds like it's a simple resourcing issue. Don't forget that, despite Steve Jobs' initial comments to the contrary, the app store is a significant money-maker for Apple. Also, spare a thought for all the apps that hardly make a buck. Apple witholds payment in any territory until it accumlates more than $250 before paying the developer. How many app developers will never be paid for royalties in certain territories? It all adds up. Not to mention the money they make on investing your [the developer's] money between the time they collect it at point of sale and the 2 months later when they pay you (like a bank!). Come on Apple, employ more people - there's no excuse!!

cublah
Oct 15, 2009, 04:39 AM
Apple witholds payment in any territory until it accumlates more than $250 before paying the developer. How many app developers will never be paid for royalties in certain territories?

Actually it's now $150 and they pay everyone at the end of the year over $50.

naco
Oct 15, 2009, 04:53 AM

Shame on you Apple.

Wow, what a brilliant idea. Why not let tons of applications that could potentially brick your mobile device from not being properly configured loose into the open market where then, you will blame Apple for having a buggy piece of hardware. Brilliant!! Better yet, why not approve malicious software that could steal all of your personal information including recording your keystrokes loose into the market. BRILLIANT!!!!!

I blame the shame on you for not knowing how far ahead of you Apple is.

dieburnbot
Oct 15, 2009, 04:55 AM
I have been waiting for this app since I read about it on their blog. I have a trillian astra pro license on my pc and I would love to have this on my iPhone. I currently use beejive, but astras interface looks so much better. I will buy it instantly unless it's free for existing astra pro license holders which would be awesome.

Hurry up Apple you bastard. At least Roboform for iPhone FINALLY came out a couple of days ago.

iJed
Oct 15, 2009, 05:21 AM
Wow, what a brilliant idea. Why not let tons of applications that could potentially brick your mobile device from not being properly configured loose into the open market where then, you will blame Apple for having a buggy piece of hardware. Brilliant!! Better yet, why not approve malicious software that could steal all of your personal information including recording your keystrokes loose into the market. BRILLIANT!!!!!

OK, by your "logic", we may as well have an App Store for all Mac apps too. Then we can have a nice approval process where every app can be gauged on various attributes known to nobody but Apple. I bet everyone would love that!

Also the fact that the Google Android store does exactly what I stated and has had no significant problems whatsoever shows how incredibly uninformed that you are.

I'd happily settle for an unapproved part of the App Store that has a big warning that the apps are not checked for malicious behaviour or even the ability to distribute apps via the web without the 100 user ad-hoc limitation...

Why the hell have I had to wait 10 days so far without a single indication as to the status of my submission. It is ridiculous and incredibly poor from a company like Apple.

It amazes me how many of you Apple apologists (who are obviously not developers) defend the App Store approval process. The only people defending this should be the shareholder who make money through the Apple lock-in. Even then, if they alienate enough developers it will have a very negative impact on their bottom line. At least Microsoft doesn't s-h-i-t all over their developers!

guet
Oct 15, 2009, 06:36 AM
Anyway, this is a massive system with thousands of apps being submitted a week. There are bound to be apps that slip through the cracks.

No, it's a farce of a system, which regularly leads to developers' concerns being ignored, huge delays on app updates, huge delays on app submission, and is an embarrassment to Apple. They need to get rid of it, or at least fix the glaring problems with it.

The only thing that's slipping through the cracks is Apple's reputation for competence and well executed ideas. The rules are unclear, the decisions inconsistent, and the delays intolerable. Overall I can't imagine how the system could possibly be worse.

Why not let tons of applications that could potentially brick your mobile device from not being properly configured loose into the open market where then,

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about - the approval system does not prevent bad apps (see the crapflood of Bible and Flashlight apps), does not prevent offensive apps (see the baby shaking app), and does not prevent malicious apps (see the app which sent users' phone nos to a central server recently). So what does it do exactly, apart from cause delays for users and heartache for developers?

Ever experienced submitting an app to Apple? If you had you wouldn't defend this system.

thedarkhalf
Oct 15, 2009, 06:43 AM
You obviously have absolutely no idea about professional software development.

At my current employer I have prototyped an iPhone client. We're a fairly large software house with products used internationally. What is holding up committing the resources to fully develop an iPhone application is the App Store approval process. We think that it will cost us approximately 50000 to get our application completed but there is no guarantee that Apple will allow it on the App Store. Do you think that I'm going to risk my job by recommending we go ahead with this?

I've also got my own (home developed) app awaiting approval at the moment. It's been 10 days and it still says the same thing: "Status: In Review." Great process isn't it?

that is a risk you take being a developer for this platform. It is not like they changed the rules on you half way thru development. You know the risks going into it. But that's not at all what i'm discussing.

I'm not saying their approval process is great at all. It may not even be good. but I do agree there should be some type of process in place and not just have a developer toss an app onto the store. The words "malicious code" come to mind :)

thejadedmonkey
Oct 15, 2009, 07:13 AM

What do you think you do every time you go download the latest OS X updates the instant they're available? Everyone does it on their PC, why should their phone be any different?

tbealmear
Oct 15, 2009, 07:15 AM

That would make sense except for the fact that they have sent Apple emails asking for status updates, and have gotten BLAH in response. This hasn't just slipped through the cracks. An approval process that makes sense is what has slipped through the cracks.

iJed
Oct 15, 2009, 07:17 AM
I'm not saying their approval process is great at all. It may not even be good. but I do agree there should be some type of process in place and not just have a developer toss an app onto the store. The words "malicious code" come to mind :)

But it would be ever so easy to put something truly nasty onto the App Store. All you need to do is develop "Fart App 2010" and have it behave normally until you enable the malicious part of it by a simple flag it checks on your central server. It could then email all your contacts, photos, etc to it's author. There is also no reason that this flag couldn't make "EVIL Fart App 2010" run in the background from then on and continue to send your data as it changes.

There is absolutely nothing preventing malicious apps! Don't mistake the approval process for this. It is all about control; nothing less and nothing more!

kdarling
Oct 15, 2009, 07:18 AM

Apple's review process would not stop "malicious code". It's not like they're going over your source code.

A bad guy could simply program a time bomb to go off weeks or months later. If they're banned, just pop up under a different name... Apple is a glutton for quantity of submissions.

The only real "safety" net is that Apple can remotely remove bad apps, and that's only after finding out.

garethjs
Oct 15, 2009, 07:37 AM
Apple wants only 5 or so people reviewing not because they can't afford it but because they want consistency. I know it's not efficiency at it's best but it works.

iJed
Oct 15, 2009, 07:47 AM
Apple wants only 5 or so people reviewing not because they can't afford it but because they want consistency. I know it's not efficiency at it's best but it works.

Surely some oh I don't know SUBMISSION CRITERIA would be a much better way of achieving consistency.

Obviously it doesn't work since there are so many problems. Hardly a day goes buy without another App Store submission disaster.

dissdnt
Oct 15, 2009, 09:07 AM
Remember that company called meebo that had a good app coming out for this kind of stuff?? whatever happened with that??

LOL Meebo. Ya remember they showed it off when they introduced PUSH forever ago, talk about a head start. And not a peep from them on there blog or forums, they are totally ignoring everyone on this. Very bizarre.

SFC Archer
Oct 15, 2009, 01:13 PM
I have been using trillian for years and have been waiting and waiting and waiting on apple to approve this app. This is getting ridiculous and making major "known" developers of proven software wait is totally STUPID. WAKE up Apple, Trillian was proven LONG before you even dreamed of an App store.

Wish the Trillian guys the best of luck and I will be one of the first to load it on my MiPhone!!!

md65066
Oct 15, 2009, 02:44 PM

Shame on you Apple.

Wow, what the hell are you takling about? You would be confortable with running software on your phone/computer that has not been tested yet? Oh yeah, let's wait until the problems happen.. then fix it. So if it bricks your phone, you will have a great new paperweight :apple:

diesel
Oct 15, 2009, 02:51 PM
kudos to macrumors for posting this on their main page. hopefully now, apple will get moving on this app so that i can buy it already!!!

bozzykid
Oct 15, 2009, 04:00 PM
Wow, what the hell are you takling about? You would be confortable with running software on your phone/computer that has not been tested yet? Oh yeah, let's wait until the problems happen.. then fix it. So if it bricks your phone, you will have a great new paperweight :apple:

If there is software that can brick a phone, then Apple hasn't developed their sandbox very well. And don't you think developers want their apps to be stable. Otherwise, they aren't going to get many sales.

Btw, Android has a market with no restrictions like this, and there has yet to be any major issues because the community can quickly police bad apps more than 40 people can.

iJed
Oct 15, 2009, 05:42 PM

Yeah because so many of these random untested apps I've had have bricked my computer. Oh wait...

pberson
Oct 15, 2009, 10:09 PM
I am holding off purchasing any other IM client for iPhone because I want Trillian. I used it for years on a PC now I want it for my iPhone and Mac. Can not wait for Apple to approve this app.

thedarkhalf
Oct 16, 2009, 08:15 AM
But it would be ever so easy to put something truly nasty onto the App Store. All you need to do is develop "Fart App 2010" and have it behave normally until you enable the malicious part of it by a simple flag it checks on your central server. It could then email all your contacts, photos, etc to it's author. There is also no reason that this flag couldn't make "EVIL Fart App 2010" run in the background from then on and continue to send your data as it changes.

There is absolutely nothing preventing malicious apps! Don't mistake the approval process for this. It is all about control; nothing less and nothing more!

Since neither of us work for Apple, how do you know that they dont check what the app does or can do? I mean, unless you know exactly what you do (and knowing the way Apple keeps secrets, I'd say you don't) then right now, youre just guessing.

And seriously, if you dont like their approval process, there are several other platforms you can develop for. Right now, you decided to buy a car knowing full well that it was underpowered.. and now you are are bitching cause it's not fast enough

twoodcc
Oct 16, 2009, 08:51 AM
i don't see why it hasn't been approved yet

iJed
Oct 16, 2009, 10:19 AM
Since neither of us work for Apple, how do you know that they dont check what the app does or can do? I mean, unless you know exactly what you do (and knowing the way Apple keeps secrets, I'd say you don't) then right now, youre just guessing.

How do I know:

They don't have access to the source code
I have more than a very basic understanding of how computers work. I'm not doing any guessing.

And seriously, if you dont like their approval process, there are several other platforms you can develop for. Right now, you decided to buy a car knowing full well that it was underpowered.. and now you are are bitching cause it's not fast enough

Oh great, a favourite response of the Rabid Apple Apologist. Yes because I don't like one (albeit major) thing I should go away and develop for another platform instead. You only want other Rabid Apple Apologists here. So no developers then.

I don't see any point to your car analogy. I've got a better one though: There are those that claim criticising their government or leader (whether it's a president, prime minister or whatever) is unpatriotic when it is in fact unpatriotic not to call them out when they do something stupid. This is the same trait as the Rabid Apple Apologist.

OhioSandy
Oct 16, 2009, 10:21 AM
It all sounds great, if they actually offer it for free. Somehow it's so hard for me to pay for the 1st versions. I used to 3 years ago, not anymore...

natewsmith
Oct 16, 2009, 12:41 PM
They need to approve this ASAP cause IM+ is the biggest POS there ever was!

thedarkhalf
Oct 16, 2009, 07:18 PM
How do I know:

They don't have access to the source code
I have more than a very basic understanding of how computers work. I'm not doing any guessing.

Oh great, a favourite response of the Rabid Apple Apologist. Yes because I don't like one (albeit major) thing I should go away and develop for another platform instead. You only want other Rabid Apple Apologists here. So no developers then.

I don't see any point to your car analogy. I've got a better one though: There are those that claim criticising their government or leader (whether it's a president, prime minister or whatever) is unpatriotic when it is in fact unpatriotic not to call them out when they do something stupid. This is the same trait as the Rabid Apple Apologist.

If you could tell me exactly what Apple does in it's approval process (detailed list please) that would be helpful. Until that time, you have no idea what they do. They may not look directly at source code, but dont you think they have some way of investigating apps? After all, they made the developers kit, the OS and the hardware...

At what point was I being an Apple Apologist? I never said they were gods, or that the approval process was perfect (or even good, for that fact). Thanks for incorrectly labeling me tho. The typical comeback of an Apple Apologist Hater :)

Horrible analogy. When you live in a certain location, the government is meant to serve YOU. You pay taxes, etc and you have every right to say what they should do. When a company exists, its purpose is to serve itself. Are you suggesting Apple exists to serve you? HA!

"That we are to stand by the President right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Something I truly believe in, btw..

Coolpher
Nov 20, 2009, 02:39 AM
it is a great at can wait for what more they will Update over time goodbye BeejiveIM Hello Amazing Trillian for iPhone

SFC Archer
Nov 20, 2009, 03:42 PM
Not sure what the above poster was trying to say but I will post my opinion and review.

I am a long time Trillian (Astro) user and will say that the app works exactly as expected and in line with the desk top software.

Trillian is $4.99 in the app store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trillian/id327603487?mt=8) and install/setup is almost instantaneous! Anyone with a current Trillian account will only have to log on using their current account and ALL settings, accounts, preferences and passwords are transferred to the iPhone.

I currently use Trillian to control my AOL Instant Messenger, Google Talk, ICQ and Windows Live Messenger. It also has the capability to manage Jabber, MySpace and Yahoo sevices. The only services missing that affect me are Facebook and Twitter but am sure they will follow soon.

The GUI is smart, good looking and easy to use. There have been complaints about landscape view missing and for those use to typing in that view it is a missing function but am sure it will be corrected within the next update or two.

The user can stay logged into all accounts for up to 24 hours at a time and the timer restarts if you open up the app. If the iphone is on, it will notify you just like sms or if the iPhone is sleeping then Push will notify you if you are still logged in.

Settings are controlled using the iPhone settings app and then scrolling down.
There are 7 different settings to control Sign Off, Set a personal Away message, and toggle switches to turn off/on Status & Message Sounds and two vibration settings.

Over all the app is simple yet almost complete. Functional and usable and in my opinion...a threat to all of the other social compiling apps. Knowing the history of Cerulean Studios, I expect frequent and continuous updates and additions. Astro has turned into an exceptional program on my Desktop and it now connects flawlessly with my iPhone App. They share data and when logged on using the iPhone, the desktop logs off (except for AOL which warns you that you are logged in at two locations) What you change/create on one will update automatically with the other as soon as you log on.

I would recommend this app to users of social networking sites and will change it to highly recommend once Facebook and Twitter become an option.
I will also answer any questions from anyone on the fence.