PDA

View Full Version : Perfroma 405 and stylewriter found in Trash

Sparky's
Jul 18, 2004, 11:24 AM
The business that shares the building with us decided to clean out the basement, and during the event I came across a box with some computer epuipment. When I was told to take what you want I grabed the box and brought it home found a Performa 405 with a Performa monitor and a StyleWriter printer. the only thing missing was a keyboard and mouse but after digging one out I found trhe machine works just fine. It has OS 7.1 installed but only has 4mb of RAM!! can anyone help out with a few specs as to how much RAM I can get for it or how far can I push the OS. I was thinking I could let my 12 year old daughter use it for homework, printing from Word would be perfect for her.

Thanks

musicpyrite
Jul 18, 2004, 08:58 PM
My school was giving away a Preforma 400, that I have right now, perfectly working and someting like 10 MB RAM, runs great I love it.

According to Mactracker a Preforma 405 has a minimum OS of 7.0.1 and a maximum OS of 7.5.5. It has a maximum ammount of RAM at 10 MB. 80 or 120 MB HD. It also had a 16 MHz processor (68030).

My calculator has a *cough*20 MHz*cough* processor. :D :cool: (overclocked)

Sparky's
Jul 23, 2004, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the input, I'm going to drag one of my smaller color monitors out of mothballs and see what I really have :D
Then set it up for my daughter to do her homework on and I'm set.

PS several months ago my boss cleaned out our attic and left a Quadra 650 on the dock to be trashed :eek: :eek: the nerve!!! The hard drive was shot but I can replace that with no problem. I've already been able to boot from an external HD. so I'm happy.

vannote
Jul 26, 2004, 09:59 PM
The business that shares the building with us decided to clean out the basement

One of my neighbors was cleaning out his basement storage in our building this weekend. I was out on the porch when I noticed a bunch of Macs on the curb. I couldn't resist.

I ended up with 1 Power Macintosh 8100/100 w/CD caddies, 1 Power Macintosh 5200/75 LC ( Nice, and I thought it was just a monitor until I got a good look at it later in the evening. ), and 2 Macintosh Performa 6200 CD, 2 Multi-scan 15 displays and 6 Keyboard, Mice, plus other miscellany.

I have managed to bring most of them back to life. One of the 6200CD still needs a little TLC though.

For specs on your 405, you check out the following to see how far you can push it.

Macintosh Performa 405 Specs (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_405.html)

Regards

neoelectronaut
Jul 31, 2004, 10:01 PM
Wow, I wish I could find a bunch of Mac goodies in the trash. :o

18thTomorrow
Aug 3, 2004, 02:58 PM
Wow, I wish I could find a bunch of Mac goodies in the trash. :o

No kidding...

Mord
Aug 11, 2004, 04:52 AM
i found an a huge stack of lc's which i plundered for HD's, ram and l2 cache.

fanding old pc's is allot easyer and you can get ram HD's power supplys and the odd p4/p3 athalon xp cpu

Macs R Us
Aug 15, 2004, 02:08 AM
i found an a huge stack of lc's which i plundered for HD's, ram and l2 cache.

fanding old pc's is allot easyer and you can get ram HD's power supplys and the odd p4/p3 athalon xp cpu

It seems like we all have a stack of LC's, I have a good 40 to 50 of them, some works and some not. I need to donatie the LC shortly, my proble is monitors and kbds and mice...