PDA

View Full Version : I have one red pixel on a new ibook

whyrichard
Jul 18, 2004, 02:56 PM
Last night, while watching a black and white dvd, i noticed that there is one pixel on my screen which is always red.

i bought this ibook about three monthes ago. no apple care, what are my options?

i'm doing a summer program in la and can't really afford any time without this computer till august 15th...

thank you mac community!

r.

jsw
Jul 18, 2004, 03:01 PM
The one red pixel won't cause you problems, but you should seriously consider investing in AppleCare within the next nine months (i.e., within a year of purchase).

Some people will tell you to run the pixel area gently to fix it. Might work, might make it worse. I'd wait until you've got AppleCare before trying something like that.

whyrichard
Jul 18, 2004, 03:03 PM
yeah, i am guessing the one red pixel won't haunt me too much. but was wondering, will apple care/the original warrentee replace screens like this? what if more pixels go republican?

r.

realityisterror
Jul 18, 2004, 03:06 PM
no way josť...
i think you need to have like 4 dead pixels or 7 stuck (like yours) pixels to warrant a replacement... apple would be throwing away a lot of money otherwise... (i'm not sure on those figures, and of course it varies by native resolution)

reality

JzzTrump22
Jul 18, 2004, 03:23 PM
I think you need to have a group of 4 pixels in one area for them to replace the screen. Or it might be 4 pixels anywhere.

thehuncamunca
Jul 18, 2004, 03:38 PM
apple won't replace your screen for one dead pixel
apple care is great just in case your entire screen or HD or something else breaks but will not cover one dead or stuck pixel

Last night, while watching a black and white dvd, i noticed that there is one pixel on my screen which is always red.

i bought this ibook about three monthes ago. no apple care, what are my options?

i'm doing a summer program in la and can't really afford any time without this computer till august 15th...

thank you mac community!

r.

evilpenguin21
Jul 18, 2004, 03:43 PM
I know where you're coming from man. I bought a Tibook 800 mhz as my really nice computer ever and it came with a pixel stuck on blue. At first I was just enraged that I just spent 3k(almost all my money) on something that was imperfect and I couldn't get it fixed, but seriously, I got over it in like a month and i've stopped noticing it. I've had my TiBook for over two years, and it's still stuck, but no other pixels have gone bad in the time.

It'll be ok man :)

GroverDoc
Jul 18, 2004, 03:44 PM
whyrichard,

I am personally fortunate not to have any stuck pixels but I have seen the following advice posted a number of times with excellent results:

Try taking a stylus or something similar (with a smooth end) and very very very gently massaging the stuck pixel. Be very careful as you obviously don't want to damage the screen. I have seen multiple posts where this technique was able to bring stuck pixels "back to life". You should be able to search the forums to find the original threads. Good luck.

g.

whyrichard
Jul 18, 2004, 03:44 PM
i think i would have prefered blue over red.

r.

or flamingo pink.

PieMac
Jul 18, 2004, 05:04 PM
You're definately not alone. I just purchased a 20" cinema display (previous generation) and it has one stuck blue pixel at the top just to the right of center. I have the option to send it back and get another per the retailers policy and though I am tempted, I probably won't...I could get one that is perfect...or worse. Since I have to really look to find it as it is....why take a chance? In fact, had I not made a point to check the display with TechTool, I probably never would have noticed it. It's just luck of the draw and the nature of LCD displays. Our household has an iBook, flat panel iMac, and a 17" Studio display (about to go up for sale on Ebay) and none of them have dead or stuck pixels.

By the way, I tried rubbing the stuck pixel gently with my Palm stylus with a soft cloth over it, but it didn't do any good. That procedure made me too nervous so I decided to just leave it alone.

BakedBeans
Jul 18, 2004, 05:23 PM

thank you mac community!

r.

i bet you its been there the whole time and yove just noticed it.... its so unfortunate.... sorry its happened to you... i was lucky my new powerbook is perfect...win some lose some.... but you still have a great machine

JzzTrump22
Jul 18, 2004, 05:44 PM
Are you sure it's a stuck pixel. I mean everytime i open my PB it looks like i have a good handfull of dead pixels but when i rub them they come off because it's just dust from the keyboard getting stuck on the screen. Try wiping it with your finger. If it doesn't come off then it truly is a stuck pixel.

MontgomeryBurns
Jul 18, 2004, 05:47 PM
Apple will replace your display under warranty as long as you have:

4 Stuck pixels

6 Dead pixels

or 8 pixels if they are a combination of Stuck and Dead (for example 3 Stuck pixels and 5 Dead ones.)

Duff-Man
Jul 18, 2004, 11:43 PM
Duff-Man says...I am a bit sceptical myself, but some people have claimed that some of those "pixel test" utilities have unstuck pixels on their screens. Like I said...I am not sold on it but at the same time they would not do any harm either....oh yeah!

jtgotsjets
Jul 19, 2004, 02:01 AM
drop your ibook

then send it in for repairs

Finiksa
Jul 19, 2004, 02:38 AM
drop your ibook

then send it in for repairs

That's abuse Apple won't cover it.