Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Mac Mini as far more capable than PS3. It's fully working computer and there are millions of apps that can be downloaded and used and formats are unlimited too. Generally, this depends on what you're searching and willing to do.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
Thats not really a fair comparison. the PS3 can play games and Blu-ray/DVD movies. If thats all you need, then get the PS3 if you are looking for a HTPC solution and streaming content, then look into the Mac Mini. If you dont plan on playing games then the PS3 might not be the best option.

Dapness

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
I tried a PS3 to replace my Apple TV. It only took me 3 days to return the PS3. The user interface was pretty weak. The drill down menu system felt like something an 8th grader could do and no metadata support for DVD covers and stuff; I just wasn't a fan. It's a shame too since the PS3 at it's new price point could really be an awesome media center with a few tweaks.

I've been playing with Plex on my Mac Pro and really like the layout. While not perfect it's pretty slick. I'm just waiting on the Mac Mini update/price drop or a new Apple TV to make a decision.

I'll add this about the PS3, If I was single I'd probably own one but with a wife and 2 young kids something more polished is necessary for my household.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I actually think the PS3 is a great option. We just got one (the 80GB model, just after the recent price drop), and we use it almost exclusively for streaming video/audio and as a BluRay player. Well, a little Rockband too...

Granted, the UI is not nearly as refined as OS X (or even FrontRow as per the AppleTV), but what you get for the price is really something. Plays any media I can throw at it (and easily plays it over the home network or from a USB drive plugged into the front), and lets me play games if I want to.

If all you want is a media player, the PS3 is hard to beat. The gaming is really a bonus, IMHO. But if you want to do anything else, spend the extra money and go for the Mini. For me, the PS3 is a perfect fit.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
I have both but in the last week I've decided to sell the Mac Mini. Don't get me wrong, for media it is 100x better than the PS3. I was using it with plex and it beat Apple TV (which I had and sold) and PS3 hands down on media playing ability. But I can't justify have a Mac next to my TV that I could sell for £300 when my PS3 can do it all.... just not as "sexy".

If you have the money or don't play games go for the Mac Mini.

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
Because the PS3 can't act as a media server to the rest of your house?

Mini + external storage FTW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.